Enable disabled reaction wheels

wizzlebippi

I have a ship with an mk1-2 command pod that for some reason has had it's reaction wheels disabled. It has both power and a pilot, and the reaction wheel mode is set to normal.  RCS works, but I already ran out of monoprop. How do I dock this ship with the station to salvage its science.

You should be able to restore them if you have power, if you are out of electricity you are stuck, that is unless you has kerbal onboard and has forgotten to open the solar pannels or have static on only one side and can use kerbal to help you, he can open them or push the ship around so they face the sun, if you have an larger engine, that is larger than the 909 you can do an short burn to get power.

I don't know if its related but I had a problem with the reaction wheel on the same pod, when I launched I didn't have anywhere near thr control authority as I expected and when I examined the problem I saw that my reaction wheel was disabled for somereason.

It seemed to work fine afterwards, though that just might be that the other RW's had enough power once the lifter stage was disposed of, so I can't say for sure.

2 hours ago, wizzlebippi said:

the reaction wheel mode is set to normal

Keep in mind that this is different from having the reaction wheels enabled/disabled. There are now two buttons to control how reaction wheels work. The indicator that says "Normal" will show you its state when you toggle reaction wheel controls between Normal/Pilot/SAS which allows you to have them working for only pilot input, only SAS stability, or both. The other button turns them on or off (the indicator will say "Idle" or "disabled".)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.