So who can't play 1.1?

TheRag

Basically, I want to see who has the infamous VAB/SPH crash that basically kills all playability for the game. And is it possible to downgrade to 1.0.5, because 1.1 is clearly not ready for actual playing and according to dev notes 1.1.3 won't come for a few weeks. Which basically means I have no way of playing the game. Every time a build a masterful design...KSP_x64 has stopped working. Mods or Stock, KSP has become a nice shiny car that I can't drive because the engine refuses to work. 

Oh and don't pester with the usual PC stats, because it does nothing to actually solve the problem. 

Yeah, sucks real bad. 

If you didn't have a back up of 1.0.5, then there's no way to revert...I think.

I have been experiencing the editor crash bug but it doesn't kill all playability for me. It's really infrequent, at least for me.

Yeah, I checked over there, but they seem to just be running in circles over the issue, nothing other than discussion of the bug existence is being brought up.

I would like to be able to play the game without becoming some sort of beta tester.  

And why isn't their away to revert back to 1.0.5 when the product is by all means broken for me, seems strange for not allowing it considering 1.1 was hyped beyond belief. 

Probably should be a sticky, but LOTS of people have a couple of problems that are easily resolved and have nothing to do with existing bugs in the game.

If you have issues and are a steam user, check at least these two things:

1. Are you still opted into betas? Steam -> Library -> KSP -> Properties -> Betas. Opt out (None). If your client starts a download, bingo, you're golden.
  2. Subtly broken install? Steam -> Library -> KSP -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache. Completely fixed my crashes.

My 2 cents.

I don't find the game unplayable exactly, but the fact that it CTDs almost every time I try to minimize it to look at my spreadsheet has sure made my current mission a pain in the end that should not point towards space. I hope they don't need several updates to get around to fixing that one..

6 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

I don't find the game unplayable exactly, but the fact that it CTDs almost every time I try to minimize it to look at my spreadsheet has sure made my current mission a pain in the end that should not point towards space. I hope they don't need several updates to get around to fixing that one..

Have you tried setting the -popupwindow flag? That works flawlessly for me :)

Just now, herbal space program said:

Ermm, what? where would I set that flag? I'm not launching KSP from a command line.

If you're on windows (not sure how it works on other platforms):

1. Create a shortcut
  2. Right click -> properties
  3. In the Shortcut tab in the Target box, make sure the path is wrapped in quotations and add -popupwindow afterwards. Should look like this.

Hit apply and launch using the shortcut.

Actually I think Steam lets you add launch flags too.

1 hour ago, herbal space program said:

Ermm, what? where would I set that flag? I'm not launching KSP from a command line.

troyfawkes gave you the Windows option but if you're on Steam, right click the game, go to Properties, General tab, Set Launch Options, and just put -popupwindow in that little text box.

Note: This will work for Steam desktop icons of the game as well, as those icons don't launch the game but instead tell Steam to do it for you.

Regarding the original post, I have had a single CTD since upgrading to 1.1.x and it was in 1.1.2, when decoupling SRBs while staging engines on ascent from Kerbin. I would have reported it but I could not repeat it, even with the exact same ship. My VAB has never crashed and I've never crashed due to alt-tabbing away, which I do quite often. However, I use the -nopopupwindow switch and have since about the time I started doing KSP videos (i.e., since 2013)

Edited by 5thHorseman
I mixed up my tags and had -nopopupwindow there instead of -popupwindow

5 minutes ago, troyfawkes said:

If you're on windows (not sure how it works on other platforms):

1. Create a shortcut
  2. Right click -> properties
  3. In the Shortcut tab in the Target box, make sure the path is wrapped in quotations and add -popupwindow afterwards. Should look like this.

Hit apply and launch using the shortcut.

Actually I think Steam lets you add launch flags too.

Thanks! I'll try that. This issue has basically caused the mission I was working on to grind to a halt, so it will be a big help.

Edited by herbal space program

I still have v1.0.5 installed, so I can jump back and forth at will (the beauty of NOT relying on Steam).

I'm playing v1.1.2 currently, but not very seriously. I'm playing a Science game, and I'm not being very aggressive about it at all - because of the crashes. I'm waiting. Patiently ... for whichever happens first - an update, or the release of No Man's Sky. At this point, I think No Man's Sky is going to win.

1 hour ago, teag2 said:

If you didn't have a back up of 1.0.5, then there's no way to revert...I think.

Steam:

Properties -> betas -> last stable release

Store:

There's a download for 1.0.5 at the bottom of the downloads page. :)

1 minute ago, CliftonM said:

Steam:

Properties -> betas -> last stable release

I thought that was 1.1.1? I can't test it now as I can't download several gig over my cell phone.

3 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Store:

There's a download for 1.0.5 at the bottom of the downloads page. :)

This one I can confirm without downloading a whole bunch of stuff. And confirm it I have :)

3 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I thought that was 1.1.1? I can't test it now as I can't download several gig over my cell phone.

Latest stable release is based on the minor version, so you could download .90 when 1.0.x was out, etc.  Because the last number is the hot fix, the previous one isn't considered stable and therefore ignored.  Pretty much, when 1.2 comes out, you can download 1.1, etc.  Version numbering can get really complicated...

Edited by Guest

Forget "patching" the crash bugs. If KSP crashes with the "has stopped working" message, it's quite a safe bet to say that it's caused by the Unity engine, not by KSP (of course also KSP could lead to such crashes, but those should be handled by the Mono runtime of Unity, not by Windows).

And that's where the problems start... Unity support will likely tell the KSP developers to update to the latest Unity version, especially since a known crash bug of Unity 5.2.x (and 5.1.x) has been fixed with Unity 5.3... The other option would be to get the fix for that bug backported to a previous Unity version, but having the Unity developers do this is somewhere between "quite costly" and "we don't do custom builds of earlier versions"...

Edit: There would of course be the tiny chance, that although it's very likely a Unity bug, it might eventually be worked around by not using the buggy functionality of Unity. But that depends on where exactly the bug is within Unity. If it's at an easy to find API maybe it can be avoided. If it's somewhere deep within Unity itself, then, well, see above.

Edited by soulsource

Game was kind of ruined for me because of 1.1

The crashes were horrendous so instead of most of my time playing KSP whenever I game, I now play other games. Hopefully they can fix most of the bugs but it looks like they took a break.

So smart when your game is broken for a lot of players.

I can play 1.1, but I choose not to.

VAB/SPH crashes are a thing - usually not more than every couple of hours, but enough to keep me on edge and make me unwilling to create large ships in case it suddenly dies and loses them. At least with the old out-of-memory crashes, I could see it coming and restart gracefully. Now it's just whenever it wants to crash. Really think the game needs a high level error trap; CTD smells like an uncaught exception, and that's just careless.

And I love planes and rovers, so with runway donuts, bounces, flips, skids, and explosions, it's really taken the joy out of things. Sure, I could have a space program that is just rocket-based, but that's simply not what ticks my boxes.

So I will wait for 1.1.3 or 1.2 or whatever version it is that returns HOTOL craft to viability and ends the CTD nonsense. Meantime there are other things that I enjoy doing, so I will do those instead :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.