KSP getting boring? I want to get back into it.

ZedSpace

It pains me to say this, but I've gotten burnt on KSP. After over 200 hours, no matter what I build or send into orbit, or how many space stations and planet bases I make, I can't get into it anymore. Are there any suggestions or ways to get back into it?

Dont goto space..explore kerbin..shes a beautiful place..even more so if you have scatters on full and atmospheric scatter mod to make meaningful sunrises

Use a steering wheel.. Build a caravan of supplies..put some music on and have ksc slowly get smaller in the distance while mountains youve only flown across grow to gigantic intimidating monsters that demand respect

Know kerbin..know your vehicle..

Its just you and a vast landscape of emptyness..devoid of people..just landscapes and vistas 

Its easy to get so engulfed in it..you start to feel...alone

Civilisations gone..your all.thats left

All realtime... No timewarp

Give it a go..feel what it is to be one with kerbin

A terrifying and beautiful experience when its under your skin

For inspiration and a preview of what you face.. Watch nassault's "Kerbal" movie

Its more fact than fiction I promise you

Career mode can help some people, but the contracts get repetitive and "grindy" (my opinion only), and the end game of Career is Sandbox.The best way I have found to get back into this game after being burned out on it, is to not play it for a while. I will not play for some time, and just follow what is happening in the forums when I think of it. Sure enough, some one releases a cool mod that inspires me to build something or Squad releases a new feature and I am back into it. But Overland has the right idea also, move outside your in-game comfort zone and you might be surprised at what your next inspiration for a mission will be.

Career can help, even a "finished" career is more stimulating because even though the reasoning stated in the contracts makes as much sense as a man growing a spontaneous third arm made of potato, you aren't just sending things up to send them up. It has helped me quite a bit for every probe launched and flag planted to have a purpose. 

However, if you're not interested in career, or have simply never explored the entire system yet, then taking a step back is probably the best solution I can offer. Its worked for me, numerous times for more than just KSP (RPGs, puzzle games, art stuff). Give it a few weeks, or even a few months if needed, and it'll almost feel brand new, even if the great SQUAD above hasn't made significant changes.

10 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Play a different game for a while. Human beings were not made to do the same thing over and over for months on end. Your malaise is not a symptom of KSP needing to be fresh, but of you needing to do something else.

I take regular breaks to shoot nazis, an excellent palate cleanser.

I'm referring to Wolfenstein, I'm not a psychopath.

this, I take breaks, sometimes from games completely. I plax XCOM for a while, I was playing Civ 4 (it wont work after my most recent OS update), homeworld... etc.

Also: mods (outer planets for me), and new projects. At the moment, my project is an air-mobile laythe base, consisting of a number of 2.5m rovers (each witha  different role) that can load and unload from a mk3 cargobay&ramp.

Also, last night for the first time (I think), I took a spaceplane all the way to minmus and landed it (800 m/s to spare)... I previously never bothered taking spaceplanes beyond LKO (aside from sending them to laythe, mostly with a refuel, or intending to be refueled there).

Also... I decided to try and save dV by landing on the flats with significant horizontal velocity and using wheel brakes... I landed at 70 m/s, and had to adjust my trajectory before touchdown to hit a wider part of the flats (it takes a long time for wheel brakes to stop the plane in that low gravity)

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

...Human beings were not made to do the same thing over and over for months on end...

That would be called a day job :) 

And indeed, we stop enjoying the same task after a while, even when it's a fun hobby or a game. Personally I bounce between KSP, Minecraft, Cities Skylines and a few others while monitoring the communities of all of them to see if there are exciting developments (and whether game-breaking issues in them are solved yet).

Of course you'd burn out if you do same things again and again.

As others said, explore kerbin. Make seaplanes, make passenger planes, make rovers and climb to mountains..

I have two save in my game, one for career and one for fun, i create tanks, jeeps, supersonic seaplanes, fuel tankers, or whatever comes to my mind in school or work.

8 hours ago, ZedSpace said:

It pains me to say this, but I've gotten burnt on KSP. After over 200 hours, no matter what I build or send into orbit, or how many space stations and planet bases I make, I can't get into it anymore. Are there any suggestions or ways to get back into it?

Are you kidding me, with all the mods there are i went to 700 hours easy and then I explored RSS a bit went back to stock back and forth, and now at way way over 1000hours I am exclusive RSS/RO/RP0 with my first career play through in RSS and I'm loving it.

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

It amuses me that you don't class your career game as 'fun' :)

Haha good point. I should be more careful while writing. I see career mode like documentary while sandbox as action movie, both fun bot different :P

I have a good solution for you my boi

Make thing's interesting like I do, first of all install legit mods, then create your own story for example copy from interstellar, kerbin is dying so you need to find a good planet and blah blah save the race. Progress and get new tech like warp drives and other stuff, make each save your unique story. Play in science mode or sandbox, as contracts are a pain in the butt, make your own aim.

Do interstellar travel, put mods like KerbalGalaxy, KerbalInventory, Interstellar extended.

Eh, every one gets burnt out just like an old fuel tank. The trick is to wait for a while until it fills back up. Go play some other games until you burn out on those and then you may just feel like coming back to KSP. 

Don't force your self to play it because then it is no fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.