Hey everyone. I've got an idea. For those of us who have bought KSP from the official website, there could be a secondary download page for "legacy" versions - i.e. versions 0.14 and up. I think this would be nice so that the KSP veterans can re-live some of their favorite versions.

What do you think?

(Oh, and I say "from the official website" because I have no idea how this would work on Steam.)

Edited by UnionPacific1983WP

2 hours ago, Findthepin1 said:

Wait, why would there be legal issues? It's Squad's game. If they want to let players play old versions of the game, why not?

You are aware that legal, steam and other corporate excrements happened after the versions they released for free (since they've already released them from free).

No matter if they want to let us download the later iterations or not, they would end up in deep legal yoghurt if they did.

Good, but that would be unfair to the rest of us. We all bought the same game, for the same price (well, technically it depends on when you bought it, but it's not the thing now) so why would someone who decided to expand their steam/gog library instead of clicking buy on KSP page, be excluded from any downloadable content?

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Good, but that would be unfair to the rest of us. We all bought the same game, for the same price (well, technically it depends on when you bought it, but it's not the thing now) so why would someone who decided to expand their steam/gog library instead of clicking buy on KSP page, be excluded from any downloadable content?

For technical reasons. Steam doesn't have a system set up to allow this (I don't think) and allowing steam users to dl from the site runs into verification issues.

8 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Good, but that would be unfair to the rest of us. We all bought the same game... so why would someone who decided to expand their steam/gog library instead of clicking buy on KSP page, be excluded from any downloadable content?

Technical issues, that's just the way it is, people should consider where they purchase the game from, etc.

Pretty much the same list of reasons that get brought up whenever Steam Workshop or the pre-release come up.

It's not about why is it not technically possible, it's about possibility of SQUAD saying "sorry we didn't mention that before but now some of you will get more stuff for free, and some will not, but it was your choice haha". If it ever happens, (which I doubt) don't expect half of the players to say "oh no, my bad I should've think about it earlier".

Tl;dr great idea, but for all, not for some, except you want excrementsstorm huge as Jools green spot.

5 hours ago, The Aziz said:

It's not about why is it not technically possible, it's about possibility of SQUAD saying "sorry we didn't mention that before but now some of you will get more stuff for free, and some will not, but it was your choice haha". If it ever happens, (which I doubt) don't expect half of the players to say "oh no, my bad I should've think about it earlier".

Tl;dr great idea, but for all, not for some, except you want excrementsstorm huge as Jools green spot.

The classic case of the principle: "If I can't have fun (or some stuff or whatever) then neither will anyone else"

God I hate that kind of attitude. 

Indeed.  Go vent your annoyance at Steam for having poor policies/systems.  You should not try to punish everyone else for your chosen platform's limitations, and I speak as someone who purchased through GoG and so would likely be excluded too.

In theory, Squad could put previous versions into the launcher, which comes with every store's version. a la Minecraft.

Edited by Guest

Steam has a "beta" setting in a game's properties window, which lets the developer provide alternate versions of a game.  It's meant for betas, but it can really be used for anything; KSP has "previous stable version" as an option in the beta menu.  Presumably they could put older versions there too.

On 5/27/2016 at 6:21 PM, The Aziz said:

I find this really funny, as the same thing happened when people who bought from the store were excluded from 1.1 Beta. Apparently none of the Steam users had a problem when they were getting stuff that no one else had.

5 hours ago, John FX said:

support issues for versions with bugs that will never now get fixed is another thing.

How is that a thing?

If you're running an older version, you do so by your own free will and should expect no support.

Besides, the fix for all those bugs in older versions?  Newer versions.  Support for that is built into the system already.

55 minutes ago, razark said:

How is that a thing?

If you're running an older version, you do so by your own free will and should expect no support.

Besides, the fix for all those bugs in older versions?  Newer versions.  Support for that is built into the system already.

For sure sensible or reasonable people would not but not everyone is sensible or reasonable.

IMO prereleases (aka beta-tests) are not the same thing as old versions. You should know, it's popular right now, game devs give access to closed beta for some people to test it BEFORE release. And this is fine. But there we have something we already had access to. It's like, I don't know, looking for an outdated drivers? They're in some sort of archive, but still available. Let's say someone would like to fly to Minmus with old mk-1 capsule. This was possible only in 0.15, so why couldn't they?

Aside from that, i think GOG supports multiple versions (we can sometimes see current one to download and sometimes a little patch, also same thing for different platforms etc)

Now my idea is, if SQUAD could provide an archive or something with old versions, only for forum users, I mean verified in some way forum users. Dunno, maybe with some proof of owning the game or something (they use the same method for unbanning people banned for piracy after buying.

So, in one case, Steam users have access to something no one else does, and there's nothing wrong with it.

In the other case, Steam users don't have access to something other people do, and that's just a disaster?

Guess you should have bought from the store.  It's just too much effort for Squad to accommodate everyone equally.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.