Sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't find it during a forum search.

Are there any plans to equip Kerbals with parachutes, especially while in aircraft, to enable their survival when all goes wrong (very frequently)?

Being a pilot myself I know the value of these little bundles of life saving material.  Placing a chute on a Kerbal makes more sense than placing chutes on their aircraft as I see many do, to spare their cargo/Kerbal from a fiery end.

The Game Colonel

Edited by The Game Colonel

Good idea.  Though in my experience they usually blow up before they'd have a chance to jump out, but it might save a few.  I never played with space planes much though.

Edited by kBob

5 hours ago, The Game Colonel said:

Sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't find it during a forum search.

Are there any plans to equip Kerbals with parachutes, especially while in aircraft, to enable their survival when all goes wrong (very frequently)?

Being a pilot myself I know the value of these little bundles of life saving material.  Placing a chute on a Kerbal makes more sense than placing chutes on their aircraft as I see many do, to spare their cargo/Kerbal from a fiery end.

The Game Colonel

I hope you're a military pilot!

I'd like to see this, but am a bit uncertain as how KSP should simulate this, since you always control one object at a time, so the escape procedure should either be simulated, or you'd have to manually dump them out of the craft and activatie the chutes. Any thought on this? 

51 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

I would think ejection seats would be tied to the abort button. It should probably only work for plane parts. With rockets players should think about using the escape tower and such to save the whole pod. 

Exactly or something even as simple as just exiting the aircraft as we currently do, then activating a chute.

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

I would think ejection seats would be tied to the abort button. It should probably only work for plane parts. With rockets players should think about using the escape tower and such to save the whole pod. 

I dunno, Gagarin bailed from Vostok-1 and 'chuted down separately. I can see why we might want to use that option.

19 minutes ago, Nathair said:

I dunno, Gagarin bailed from Vostok-1 and 'chuted down separately. I can see why we might want to use that option.

Oh totally. If you can bail manually I'd still love to be able to parachute down. Ejection seats would just be a way to get them out. If you're going Mach 3 it's kind of a mute point but on runway crashes you usually have about a second to bail. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.