Poll - how many people affected/having fun

p1t1o

What is your *current* KSP experience?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. What is your *current* KSP experience?

• UNMODDED - I'm on 1.05 having good classic kerbal fun
    • UNMODDED - I'm on 1.05 and playing but the bugs are killing me
    • UNMODDED - I'm on 1.05 and I'm not playing it in this state
    • UNMODDED - I'm on 1.1.2 having good classic kerbal fun
    • UNMODDED - I'm on 1.1.2 and playing but the bugs are killing me
    • UNMODDED - I'm on 1.1.2 and I'm not playing it in this state
    • UNMODDED - I'm using some other version that works for me, having fun
    • MODDED - I'm on 1.05 having good classic kerbal fun
    • MODDED - I'm on 1.05 and playing but the bugs are killing me
    • MODDED - I'm on 1.05 and I'm not playing it in this state
    • MODDED - I'm on 1.1.2 having good classic kerbal fun
    • MODDED - I'm on 1.1.2 and playing but the bugs are killing me
    • MODDED - I'm on 1.1.2 and I'm not playing it in this state
    • MODDED - I'm using some other version that works for me, having fun

*edit* - OP Note: If you dont feel there an option that is exactly right for you, try and pick the closest.

Lots of noise about bugs and squad and such, but very little hard data. I want some.

Play nice, just vote honestly, otherwise this data will be useless. You all want accurate data right?

THIS comment thread is not the place to make your big statement about your feelings one way or the other.

Edited by p1t1o

you perhaps should have a "I'm using XYZ - it's buggy but not enough to cause me too much stress" option - which is where I am sitting right now. Yes, I get the occasional CTD, but not enough to make me gnash and wail. Just the odd sigh now and again.

25 minutes ago, Malich said:

you perhaps should have a "I'm using XYZ - it's buggy but not enough to cause me too much stress" option - which is where I am sitting right now. Yes, I get the occasional CTD, but not enough to make me gnash and wail. Just the odd sigh now and again.

Yeah, it wasn't easy choosing options, there's a lot of room on the scale. Hopefully if you pick the one thats closest, the data will be illustrative.

Ok.  I'm a 'modded 1.1.2 having classic kerbal fun' voter, but there should some middle ground between "all is good" and "bugs are killing me".  An option for 'a bit limited because of bugs' is closer to my experience. 

Uh... two options apply actually.

MODDED - I'm on 1.05 having good classic kerbal fun
MODDED - I'm on 1.1.2 and playing but the bugs are killing me

My vote was cast on the 2nd of the two however.

Edited by LordFerret
bah - copy/pasted wrong one

41 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Ok.  I'm a 'modded 1.1.2 having classic kerbal fun' voter, but there should some middle ground between "all is good" and "bugs are killing me".  An option for 'a bit limited because of bugs' is closer to my experience. 

So, if I may sum up:

Options:

1. Both hunky and dory

2. Hunky, but dory . . . not so much.

3. Not even close to hunky, but dory enough.

4. Neither hunky nor dory.

Just now, liquidhype said:

Where is the option for "MODDED: I'm on 1.1.2 playing RSS-RO with all the realism mods, deleted all the stock parts and totally ignoring the little green weirdos"?

I wish there was a human mod :(

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

I wish there was a human mod :(

That, and better looking stock parts. They look so terrible that I refuse even having them in the game. Hopefully Squad gives the parts a serious overhaul for 1.2

9 minutes ago, DChurchill said:

So, if I may sum up:

Options:

1. Both hunky and dory

2. Hunky, but dory . . . not so much.

3. Not even close to hunky, but dory enough.

4. Neither hunky nor dory.

I couldn't have put it better myself :D

Isn't it possible to allow multiple choices in a poll ?

Anyway, voted Modded - Other Version since my main install is still in 1.0.4. I have a career mode save in 1.1.2 but it is very limited by crashes (and the fact I can't use mods as they make crashes more frequent for me).

EDIT: as of now, there are over 20% of people not playing 1.1.2 because of crashes or severely affected by them (not counting people playing other versions but some, like me, play other versions because of crashes). It's not a majority, but it is a significant part of players. (This is just an observation, let's not start arguing here)

Edited by Gaarst

Just now, liquidhype said:

That, and better looking stock parts. They look so terrible that I refuse even having them in the game. Hopefully Squad gives the parts a serious overhaul for 1.2

Well that's when you end up with the debate between the realism overhaul and the cartoony heart of KSP. So in answer to  your idea "will they overhaul them?", the answer is no.

Might have worded "killing me" a bit heavily, but in my was more of an exasperated "augh, killin' me here" than a literal "GACK! IM DYING!", bet heh, it'll do.

Trends have popped up for all to see, was anybody surprised?

Using modded 1.1.2 and having lot of fun, Today i flew two plane in the sky and one radar truck on the ground, there was no lag! I cant be happier. (I can be happier though, if we can get a graphic upgrade :P )

19 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Might have worded "killing me" a bit heavily, but in my was more of an exasperated "augh, killin' me here" than a literal "GACK! IM DYING!", bet heh, it'll do.

Trends have popped up for all to see, was anybody surprised?

*Puts on professor hat*

In all fairness, your survey has only been live for 3 hours and collected 54 respondents (as I write this).  To be statistically significant, with 95% confidence, you'll need 383 respondents.  

Additionally, in terms of survey design, for each independent variable (KSP version) you've grouped your positive respondents into one response group, while your negative respondents are split between two, with neither of them being a moderate response (as has been pointed out.)  Several people have stated that they joined the positive response group, even though had there been a more moderate negative response option, they would have chosen it.  The result will be a bias toward the positive group in direct comparisons.  If the "bugs are killing me" option was intended to be a neutral compromise option between positive and negative responses, the phrasing of the option gives it a negative-slant, potentially pushing moderate responses into the positive option, again creating potential bias.  It will be difficult to establish a trend, also, because you're not really comparing a rate, you're comparing snapshot data, and that data could be skewed by the respondent's last experience with KSP, or biased by attitudes on the forum.  So this is less data collection and more opinion poll, and opinion polls are not really considered "data" because opinions are both situationally dynamic and subject to question bias. Lastly, while your goal is to collect data, you did not indicate what the purpose of the data collection is, or what you hope to prove or disprove.

A better method of data collection would be to ask less subjective questions such as:

Do you experience frequent crashes?

Do you experience occasional crashes?

Do you experience an insignificant number of crashes?

Do you experience no crashes?

Has the current state of the game affected your ability or motivation to play?

Do you alter your gameplay because of the possibility of crashing?

Would you say you've been generally satisfied or dissatisfied with KSP <version>?

What version of KSP are you using?

Do you use mods?

What type OS are you playing on?

What is the approximate age of your computer?

This would enable you to say: Out of N respondents, X1 number of players of version A experience frequent crashes.  Of that set, Y number report that it has affected their gameplay.  Of those who continue to play, Z number report that they alter their gameplay due to those crashes.  X2 number of players report occasional crashes... etc 

You would also be able to perform some basic regression to see if there are any significant trends among operating systems, computer hardware, KSP versions, etc.  That would probably, actually be hard data that would be useful to the community and the devs.  

But then, on the other hand, if your goal is to run a biased opinion poll to silence the whiners, you're on target.

***Professor hat off

On a lighter note, it's Towel Day.  Don't Panic!

1 hour ago, liquidhype said:

Where is the option for "MODDED: I'm on 1.1.2 playing RSS-RO with all the realism mods, deleted all the stock parts and totally ignoring the little green weirdos"?

I believe you may be having fun. I'd go with that one.

For me, I would also like an option between blissful joy and laptop-throwing ire. I figured I'm having more fun than hate (which is why I'm playing. Part of me wishes it was still the other way around and I could get to some other games on the pile) so went with the current majority.

And no, I'm not surprised at the outcome at all, though as always I am skeptical at the usefulness of any poll on a forum. At the most, we can say that about 50% of the people who answered the poll are in my shoes.

4 minutes ago, regex said:

Missing the "I'm playing something else and don't care about your drama" option.

In other words the "I'm not playing any of the buggy versions, so I'll spend my time complaining, looking for trouble on forums". No? Well I need that option.

18 minutes ago, JJE64 said:

<snip>

What? "killing me" not clinical enough for you?

Honestly though, that is precisely the sort of data I expect squad to have at their disposal as a matter of course.

I dont have my towel on me right now, but I know where it is :wink:

Just now, Velve666 said:

In other words the "I'm not playing any of the buggy versions, so I'll spend my time complaining, looking for trouble on forums".

No, 1.1 works just fine for me, even the wheels are at least bearable.

1 minute ago, regex said:

No, 1.1 works just fine for me, even the wheels are at least bearable.

At least they're still round right.

A bit of On-topic characters to fill this white space....1.05 modded, having fun is a stupid statement. Its a game, I could be scooping up dog poo at this very moment so yes I'm having fun.