[1.3.1][Kopernicus] Stock Planet Expansion

3 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

Hello Mr. X. I wonder if this mod is going to be updated for 1.3. It works now, just the surface textures are a tad bit glitchy.

These planets definitely aren't my best. I'm working on the 1.3.X port, but during the update process I'll definitely be making some changes artstyle-wise.

1 hour ago, JacobJHC said:

@The White Guardian I saw you said that you like it when people make videos about your planets, well, I made an SSTO for Trao I think you'll enjoy. The moons in this pack are amazing, they do a great job fitting in with Cyran and Cerillion in my opinion.

The moment where you approach the lava ocean and I'm like "oh no, no, no, no, no dude! That's not where you want to land at all! Oh, no! XD"
Awesome video, and thank you!

Just now, The White Guardian said:

These planets definitely aren't my best. I'm working on the 1.3.X port, but during the update process I'll definitely be making some changes artstyle-wise.

Don't change Moho or Eeloo's moons. I love them.

1 minute ago, The White Guardian said:

The moment where you approach the lava ocean and I'm like "oh no, no, no, no, no dude! That's not where you want to land at all! Oh, no! XD"

No, thank you for making them. :D

21 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

lets make up a challenge regarding your 9 moons. we'll call it the extension 9 challenge

Little development update:

- New terrain textures, enhancing the terrain-side look of the planets

- Froth and Grillian have been overhauled to work in 1.3.X, with no changes to their overall appearance (as requested by @JacobJHC)

- A custom plugin now ships with SPE, halving the amount of textures used. (Now, a special discount from Guardian Enterprises Planet Production: get three planets for less than the memory cost of 1!)

Spoiler

This custom plugin adds the PQSMod 'MapArray', hand-written by me. It allows me to compile three heightmaps to a single image without losing detail.

Therefore KSP loads one texture, and gets the height data for three planets, instead of having to load three textures for one planet each.

EDIT: these 'compiled' images aren't just there to reduce load time. They are also there to reduce download time.
Example: the heightmaps of Dres-1, Driea and Trao are 513 KB each, but the compiled map (the image storing the height data for all three planets) is only 474 KB.

So, simple math time. If I were to publish the update with each height map a separate textures, the height maps of D1, Driea and Trao would be 3*513 = 1539 KB, but now it's only 474 KB, saving 1065 KB!

On 11/10/2017 at 11:12 PM, mrhexed said:

my world won't load. could you help me?

This is probably because a lot of stuff changed under the hood of the game and the plugins SPE relied on since the last update. I'll have an update ready these next few days, this new version should fix the problems.

Edited by The White Guardian

1 hour ago, JacobJHC said:

Is there a possibility of Jool getting just one more small moon?

There was a concept for a fourth major Jool moon named Klan, taking the role of Callisto analogue, but it was eventually scrapped. However, now is as good a time as any to revive the idea. With my new texture-compressing method I should be able to add two more planets should I add Klan, without extra memory cost.

A possibility would be giving Jool rings plus two shepherd asteroids, but I don't know about that.

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

This is a pretty nifty trick you have here, TWG. Congrats.

Thank you! :D

26 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

I should be able to add two more planets

Will they have high gravity? I am currently doing a grand tour with this pack installed, it would kinda suck to have two more Tylos or a second Eve show up. I have enough extra fuel to visit something big  like Duna or a Kerbin so I'll probably be able to get them...

29 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

There was a concept for a fourth major Jool moon named Klan, taking the role of Callisto analogue, but it was eventually scrapped. However, now is as good a time as any to revive the idea

yayyyyy

On 12-11-2017 at 10:16 PM, JacobJHC said:

Will they have high gravity? I am currently doing a grand tour with this pack installed, it would kinda suck to have two more Tylos or a second Eve show up. I have enough extra fuel to visit something big  like Duna or a Kerbin so I'll probably be able to get them...

I think Tylo and Eve are challenging as is :D

Should I add them, they will likely be Kuiper Belt objects (Sedna and Eris analogues specifically) though not far out enough to be infuriatingly hard to reach. Shouldn't be more of a challenge than Eeloo, especially with Ion / Nuclear engines.

Also, for all planet makers following this thread: I will, of course, be making MapArray publicly available, so that we can all enjoy data-crunching without losing detail.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Poodmund said:

It would be super if you made this mod a sort of showcase for your custom PQS mods... or is that the plan?

Actually, in its current form, SPE is 100% made using stock PQSMods. I just don't need any original PQSMods per se for this pack, though if I get MapArray working at long last, I'll update the pack to use MapArray instead of VertexHeightMap.

I actually wonder - what PQSMods would people like to see?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.