[1.11.2] B9PartSwitch v2.18.0 (March 17)

blowfish

On 10/29/2019 at 8:56 PM, cameronisher3 said:

today is the first time im seeing this error, and its happening with the version for 1.7.3 and the latest beta version. ive done fresh installs of b9 and nothing has remedied this 

https://ibb.co/p4J2VkJ

any help would be great. im not using 1.8

Welcome to the forums!

Can you post your full log?  Instructions on how to do so are in the HOW TO GET SUPPORT link in my signature

9 hours ago, blowfish said:

Welcome to the forums!

Can you post your full log?  Instructions on how to do so are in the HOW TO GET SUPPORT link in my signature

here you go https://www.dropbox.com/s/39zn9pn18dhzulm/output_log.txt?dl=0

since my original post i tried removing the mod from ksp, load ksp, then reinsert and load the game. this unfortunately broke it even more 

https://ibb.co/cLQxTg1

12 minutes ago, cameronisher3 said:

here you go https://www.dropbox.com/s/39zn9pn18dhzulm/output_log.txt?dl=0

since my original post i tried removing the mod from ksp, load ksp, then reinsert and load the game. this unfortunately broke it even more 

https://ibb.co/cLQxTg1

Thanks for the log.  Based on it I see the following issues:

• You have MM 4.1.0 installed, but that's for KSP 1.8
  • I think you have the 1.8 version of SmokeScreen installed
  • The engine ignitor plugin is not loading (maybe same issue?)
  • The Editor Extensions plugin is not loading
  • CommunityResourcePack seems to be missing some stuff (not sure why).  Maybe try reinstalling it?

24 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Thanks for the log.  Based on it I see the following issues:

• You have MM 4.1.0 installed, but that's for KSP 1.8
  • I think you have the 1.8 version of SmokeScreen installed
  • The engine ignitor plugin is not loading (maybe same issue?)
  • The Editor Extensions plugin is not loading
  • CommunityResourcePack seems to be missing some stuff (not sure why).  Maybe try reinstalling it?

will do, thank you!

fixed it! thanks for the help

Edited by cameronisher3

Okay, so update on the 1.8 front: I determined the following:

• The resources not showing up together is a stock KSP issue
  • It is caused by the variant switcher moving itself to the end of the part action window list
  • It is not fixed in KSP 1.8.1

So given this, I see 3 options:

1. Leave everything as is.  The stock variant switcher and B9PartSwitch both move their switching UI to the end of the PAW.  Any part that has the stock variant switcher or B9PartSwitch and more than resource (regardless of whether they are switched) will have the resources not shown together.  Using B9PartSwitch will also be somewhat annoying as the widget may move when you click it (if the number of resources changes).
  2. Leave the stock variant switcher at the bottom but have B9PartSwitch not move itself to the bottom.  Any part with the stock switcher and more than one resource will show the resources not together (again, regardless of resource switching)
  3. Disable the stock functionality that moves the switcher to the end of the window.  All resources appear together.

Any opinions there?

I dislike the idea of changing stock behavior when it's not the actual goal of the mod - it's always possible that they could put a fix in 1.8.2 (or some future version) and the fix would then break the override.  So for me, I lean heavily towards the first two.  Of the two, #2 is likely less annoying in use, though I wouldn't mind #1.

Too bad that SQUAD didn't fixed this issue while they were already working on PAW UI. But, complaining would not help much. From given options, from user perspective, I think that option #3 will cause least amount of confusion. Might not be easiest way from coding perspective, but it will be much easier to check parts when building craft in VAB/SPH.

9 hours ago, jpkerman said:

Could having the stock variant switcher move itself to the beginning of the part action window list solve anything?

I think it would screw with other things.  As far as I can tell it's not just the fact that it's at the end but the fact that it moves things out of their initial order.

11 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Might not be easiest way from coding perspective, but it will be much easier to check parts when building craft in VAB/SPH.

Based on the work I did to modify it to work with B9PartSwitch it should be very doable.  I just have to create a subclass and override one method to do nothing, then replace what ends up in the prefab with my subclass.

1 hour ago, blowfish said:

Based on the work I did to modify it to work with B9PartSwitch it should be very doable.  I just have to create a subclass and override one method to do nothing, then replace what ends up in the prefab with my subclass.

I was writting in the rush, so I didn't explain everything what was on my mind with "easiest way from coding perspective". Not only is it doable to code, but also interaction with stock and other mods in the future. Basicaly, what @DStaal wrote just in few seconds before I wrote my post:

it's always possible that they could put a fix in 1.8.2 (or some future version) and the fix would then break the override.

And not only that, have to think about firespitter switcher too. Many of other mods use it and along with mods that prefer B9PS. And, yes, if SQUAD ever deceide to fix stock issue it may make this override piece of code obsolete, but again, noone knows if they will ever fix that issue or how long it will take to fix it. And one other concern is, what option will be easier to maintain in the future ? In my opinion, if option #3 is done properly, you will have little to change whatever path SQUAD take in regards with PAW UI.

All of those are valid concerns, but if that can be solved in meaningful way, from user perspective it will be better option #3, to have all resources listed toghether. In the long run humans are prone to "automatization", meaning we are not actualy reading everything on UI, just looking on specific spot on UI, looking on analog size of slidebar, rather than reading exact numbers. Having resources toghether and if drawing of those resources on UI is always in same way, regardless of part type and resource type, would help a lot to not make mistake when build craft.

Just my opinion, you will have to weight out all of pros/cons before making final decision, you are the one that will have to do all hard work and maintain it later on.

B9PartSwitch v2.12.0 for KSP 1.8.0

• Recompile against KSP 1.8.0
  • Stop moving the switcher to the end of the part action window
  • Remove bottomOfWindow paramter

Listening for feedback about the position of the switcher in the PAW and the resources showing up separated if you have the stock variant module.

Will deal with 1.8.1 shortly however I do not anticipate any incompatibilities.

Hello,

Thank you so much for the updates.

Just want to make a simple note that, I am still receiving a FATAL error from KSP AVC regarding B9 Part Switch.

You can find the message, quoted at the end of my comment in the link below.

I would also appreciate, if you would be kind enough to take a look at my sentences about some confirmation from your side, again at the very end of this comment;

9 minutes ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

Hello,

Thank you so much for the updates.

Just want to make a simple note that, I am still receiving a FATAL error from KSP AVC regarding B9 Part Switch.

You can find the message, quoted at the end of my comment in the link below.

I would also appreciate, if you would be kind enough to take a look at my sentences about some confirmation from your side, again at the very end of this comment

1. Nothing to do with AVC
  2. That should be a warning, not a fatal error, and shouldn't force you to close the game
  3. I highly doubt B9PartSwitch is the source of your issues, but I'll take a look in that thread

There was an update with the near future tech parts that seemingly borked B9 part switch.  After updating the mods on CKAN, and then reinstalling them, as well as B9 just to double check I still get a fatal error.  What logs do you need, so I can send them?  It's likely that it's not B9, but I figured you might wish to see it with your own eyes. lol

6 hours ago, Twinki said:

Is B9PS supposed to add tank types to default 'vanilla' engine tanks? Like LFO/LF/Ox.

I only have B9PS, ModuleManager, and Community Resource Pack installed, and all updated to the latest versions for 1.8.1

Player.log
KSP.log

It does nothing by default.  Its main purpose is for modders to be able to add switching to their mods.

55 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

So, when or how can I switch the part config?

Looks to me that you have button below "Realibility" title where you can switch between standard and high quality engine option. After switching if B9PS is configured properly you should get different engine name and diferent properties for the engine.

5 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@blowfish I just missed any hint that makes me believe the mod/config is allright. Some info like in R&D it says when the unlock will be available.

Yes, I'd definitely like to add visibility here.  And there are some possibilities I've been thinking about, but they all take research and a significant amount of development work.  So nothing is happening yet but I'm aware of the deficiency.