Unity & PartTools exporting bad .mu, won't load in KSP or blender

So, I've been trying to teach myself how to make parts for KSP, starting with a simple modification of one of the parts from Planetary Base Systems. I imported the original mesh into blender with taniwha's addon, made my changes, and saved the .blend. I then set up a simple unity project following the instructions in this tutorial, and despite the unity console not giving any errors on export, and the .mu's filesize being what it should be, KSP will not load the part (it won't show up in the list) and trying to import the .mu file into blender using the addon I linked above gives the error "Unrecognized format 76543 4". I know the part .cfg isn't the problem as it worked fine with a different .mu file (it's just an existing cfg that I made a few changes to).

At this point I have no idea how to solve this problem. I tried to figure out how to export a working .mu only using the tool @taniwha made, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to export with the collider and I do want to teach myself how to use Unity for making parts so I'd like to figure out what's wrong.

Let me know if there's any info I should add or project files I should include. I did some basic searches but couldn't find anyone with the same problem I was having. BTW I am using the part tools from this post.

If you study existing models imported using my addon, it will give you hints as to what you need to do. Pay particular attention to the object hierarchy. Also note that if you need mesh colliders, the Mu Tools tab in the tool panel can help you (though you may have to simplify the resulting mesh).

How are you specifying which mu to use in the CFG? Are you using the "MODEL { }" syntax, or "mesh = something" instead? Are there multiple parts in the same folder? Just trying to eliminate the CFG as the source of the problem.

9 hours ago, taniwha said:

If you study existing models imported using my addon, it will give you hints as to what you need to do. Pay particular attention to the object hierarchy. Also note that if you need mesh colliders, the Mu Tools tab in the tool panel can help you (though you may have to simplify the resulting mesh).

I'll take a look at the object hierarchy and try to see what's wrong with my .blend. Though I would like to eliminate the problem on the unity side of things as I don't want to eliminate the possibility of making parts in the future which are animated, use lights, expel projectiles, ect.

1 hour ago, NecroBones said:

How are you specifying which mu to use in the CFG? Are you using the "MODEL { }" syntax, or "mesh = something" instead? Are there multiple parts in the same folder? Just trying to eliminate the CFG as the source of the problem.

It uses the "MODEL { }" syntax, and as I said, it worked fine when I was using a different .mu file.

EDIT: Hmm, I just tested again and now the part loads fine in KSP! It still won't import into blender, and the UV map is messed up, but I suspect I can fix that.

Edited by Markelius
update on situation

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.