The space between us | Sci fi movie

Spaceception

7 minutes ago, Pluto100 said:

Maybe it'll be good! The whole romance thing might be a bit cheesy, but the plot seems interesting enough.

I saw the trailer yesterday. I don't give a #### about his heart's ability to handle Earth's gravity. What I'm curious about is how a boy who grows up in an (assumably) sterile environment can dance around on Earth without getting killed by the common cold, flue, and about a dozen other diseases we're practically immune to but he's not?

And it's not like the theme come from mars, get killed by Earth's microbes is exactly new either...

Edited by Kerbart

13 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I saw the trailer yesterday. I don't give a #### about his heart's ability to handle Earth's gravity. What I'm curious about is how a boy who grows up in an (assumably) sterile environment can dance around on Earth without getting killed by the common cold, flue, and about a dozen other diseases we're practically immune to but he's not?

And it's not like the theme come from mars, get killed by Earth's microbes is exactly new either...

Maybe they'll address it in the movie.

Also, I'm pretty sure they would've shot him up full of vaccines and antibiotics well before they even docked to the space station around Earth, the trip to Earth would likely be 6 to 8 months, plenty of time to get his body ready for a short stay on Earth.

Edited by Spaceception

12 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Its not necessary to assume its sterile. Humans are extremely non-sterile, for one example, the gut relies upon a vast colonies of bacteria to function and you can get very ill if it is disrupted. And if the person wants to eat, keeping them sterile is going to be very difficult. 

As far as I know, habitats like the ISS are not sterilised. Sure, you dont want to contaminate a fresh planet with bacteria, because we are looking for signs of ET and we dont want Terran organisms complicating the question. But if you are going to *live* there...sterility seems pointless, even, as you point out, counterproductive.

No way Im seeing this film though, ew.

The boy is shown driving a car on earth, that's quite a lot of rules to remember (driving on the right side, right of passage, and everything else). Sure he might ride a rover on mars but there aren't any traffic rules nor any lanes on Mars...

• 3 months later...

OK, apart from this trailer basically telling the whole movie ... :D

The space scenes might be worth a look, if not in the cinema though, because the plot steers into a teeny road love direction to the end - which makes it an interesting combination of scifi and coming of age?

7 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I only worry that they'll completely butcher their science to make way for all the romance...as most everyone on this forum probably would. :D 

The fact that he took his girlfriend into orbit (or at least space) in what looked like regular everyday clothes was enough for me to write it off.

3 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

I know that this word is kinda overused on the interwebs now but I'll be honest:

what a cringeworthy trailer

Well, that's just it. It's not even cringeworthy. If it was truly awful I'd want to get a bunch of friends together with a couple of bottles of cheap whiskey and have a bad movie night with it. But it's not. It's not even worth that. It's not bad, it's not good, it's like it's not even there. The dialog is predictable, the acting is mediocre, I can write the whole plot out for you on the back of a napkin. It's just more of the incredibly-average, outstandingly-mediocre, inoffensive, overly-sanitized, PC, fluff that Hollywood churns out these days.

It's like a producer watched The Martian and thought, "Mars is really hot right now. I need more Mars stuff." So he asks around and hears about Stranger In A Strange Land. He reads it and thinks, "Wow, that was way too complicated." So he starts cutting stuff out until he gets down to the bits he thinks the average American moviegoer can understand, and then he adds a romance because that's what all the marketing drones tell him he has to have to bring in the 18-to-24-year-old female demographic. He pulls a favor from Gary Oldman. And he runs it all in front of a studio exec who has some cash to burn. And, that's how movies like this get made.

Noticed a bump in the number of space movies that are coming out, but most of them are either horror movies, or something else like this, I want movies like Apollo 11, Interstellar, The Martian, & 2001 A space Odyssey. :(  

1 minute ago, ISE said:

Noticed a bump in the number of space movies that are coming out, but most of them are either horror movies, or something else like this, I want movies like Apollo 11, Interstellar, The Martian, & 2001 A space Odyssey. :(  

Hidden figures is coming out next year :)

10 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Hidden figures is coming out next year :)

Just looked at the trailer, finnaly my calls for help, answered in about 3 minutes lol :) thank you, and will defiantly go see it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.