[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

You can also use RGBA values directly, like this:  color=RGBA(255,0,0,255) for pure red.  Don't know which format is considered best practice, but it works.

For normal maps, a proper normal map will have a purplish-blue hue to it.  Using the grey map output by Kittopia gives shadows on the scaled space model pointing in the wrong directions, almost as if the terrain were popped inside out.  I use a plugin for GIMP to convert normal maps, but there is also this online converter:  http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

46 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

You can also use RGBA values directly, like this:  color=RGBA(255,0,0,255) for pure red.  Don't know which format is considered best practice, but it works.

For normal maps, a proper normal map will have a purplish-blue hue to it.  Using the grey map output by Kittopia gives shadows on the scaled space model pointing in the wrong directions, almost as if the terrain were popped inside out.  I use a plugin for GIMP to convert normal maps, but there is also this online converter:  http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

you are right about the RGB values in that you can use that too. You are wrong about normal maps though. Well, not wrong, but you aren't 100% correct. The grey normal maps do not JUST come from  Kittopia tech. When saved as a DTX5_NM, object space NM with nividia's DDS plugin in Photoshop, they come out grey with transparency as well, which is normal, it just depends how you save it. I wouldn't label one as "proper" though.  If you are saving your normal maps as PNG they will come out purple-ish pink and will use a lot more ram. That's probably not the desired outcome. I have never used Kittopia to produce my normal maps so i don't know of the reverse terrain shadows, but this is likely because Kittopia extracts them inverted, just like it does the height maps, and they probably aren't meant to be used in game after being extracted. I could be wrong about that but that's my theory.

On 3/2/2017 at 6:42 AM, Drew Kerman said:

been trying to push out the distance I get terrain scatter, and I've been mucking with the maxLevel and minDetailDistance PQS settings in proot's KSPRC Kopernicus config along with the minDistance setting in the KSP settings file. With both maxLevel and minDistance set to 25 I start getting these empty grids of scatter:

NxXFf0xl.png

I thought they were there cause the maxScatter settings were too low and the game was running out of objects to place, but increasing the number just made the existing scatter denser and still left these square patches open. They aren't random either, if I reload the scene or the game they're in the same spot

Any ideas? This is for image taking only so I promise I'm not going to come back here whining about framerates

No one has experimented with dense scatter yet? Not too surprised, since it really is a performance hog. I even disabled all the collisions and that didn't seem to make a huge difference.

1 minute ago, Kaa253 said:

Please tell me, how to do that?

for each Scatter{} node in a kopernicus config file there is a parameter called collide. Set it to False. At least, that's what I assume it does. Docs for this are still largely non-existent AFAIK

Hello everyone, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I asked on the SVT thread and no one seemed to know what caused it, so I was wondering if it was a Kopernicus problem. When I play with the latest versions of SVE and SVT on my MacBook Pro, I get a "checkerboard" effect on Kerbin's terrain (shown in the link below), and it goes away when I get into a very high orbit, but it essentially persistent from takeoff to LKO. Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6ab2sidpeyijawb/AABa1heDAEoWt2W8DyrJ-bq1a?dl=0

7 minutes ago, DerpzGames said:

So I've noticed that in some star mods, the stars (including the Sun/Kerbol) aren't orbiting anything.

How do I add that kind of thing to my own mod?

The stars do orbit but they hide there orbit lines. They just orbit so slow, you can't tell. The only mods that allows for stars to "not orbit anything" is sigma binary or galactic neighborhood. Both use custom plugins to achieve this. If it's possible in with kopernicus, I don't know about it.

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

The stars do orbit but they hide there orbit lines. They just orbit so slow, you can't tell. The only mods that allows for stars to "not orbit anything" is sigma binary or galactic neighborhood. Both use custom plugins to achieve this. If it's possible in with kopernicus, I don't know about it.

Ah, so I'd need to place an invisible object and have the sun orbit that?

3 minutes ago, DerpzGames said:

Ah, so I'd need to place an invisible object and have the sun orbit that?

That's one way to do it. Keep in mind though that moving Kerbin to orbit anything else than the center of the in-game universe will break the space center menu for some reason.

Just now, The White Guardian said:

That's one way to do it. Keep in mind though that moving Kerbin to orbit anything else than the center of the in-game universe will break the space center menu for some reason.

Oh, I see what you mean now. I should make the orbit line for my star invisible, as to give the impression of it not orbiting the Sun.

5 minutes ago, DerpzGames said:

Oh, I see what you mean now. I should make the orbit line for my star invisible, as to give the impression of it not orbiting the Sun.

that's one way to approach it yes.

if what you plan is to add a new system with a star and some planets that's definitely the easiest way to approach it. most of the star expansion packs do it that way

Hey folks. I'm using SVT and Kopernicus, and I'm getting a lot of this showing up in KSP.log.

[EXC 19:36:08.282] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.LateUpdate ()

Not causing crashing or anything, but I'm curious what may be causing this to happen...

TIA!

On 3/5/2017 at 4:27 PM, DerpzGames said:

This is probably a really strange question but...

How would I make a water world?

Yes you heard me correctly, a planet of nothing but water (save for the ocean floor).

I have been thinking about this for the past few days.  I'm imagining the water planet in Interstellar (the movie), underwater terrain maps with ore, submersible rovers and ore miners, seafloor mining bases, floating base launch platforms...

1 hour ago, fourfa said:

I have been thinking about this for the past few days.  I'm imagining the water planet in Interstellar (the movie), underwater terrain maps with ore, submersible rovers and ore miners, seafloor mining bases, floating base launch platforms...

I've been able to implement one, but the seafloor has no terrain whatsoever.

The following section below is unrelated to waterworlds and instead related to star issues (just so i dont need to doublepost).

Long story short, the how I call it aura of the star (Not sure what to call it) is too large.

Here's the star zoomed out.

Here it is zoomed in.

The star is exactly half the size of Kerbol/The Sun.

It'd be really helpful if someone told me how to fix this as I am soon going to be making a dwarf star and it'd be really strange if there was a dwarf star with such a huge aura.

Just a quick question, is there any way to see changes made to a planet's .cfg file live? Say for example I want to change the inclination of a particular planet, I can open up the file and edit the vale then save, however this doesn't kick in until game restart. I know that Hyperedit definitely has a live edit function, and I could've sworn some older planet making plugin had one too... The reason I ask is that with my current setup it takes literally around 10min to load KSP, and that's really unfriendly to workflow to have to wait that long between changes. If there is a way to 'live edit' as such I'd be eternally grateful as it'd simplify basic planet editing greatly for me :D

33 minutes ago, Caelus5 said:

Just a quick question, is there any way to see changes made to a planet's .cfg file live? Say for example I want to change the inclination of a particular planet, I can open up the file and edit the vale then save, however this doesn't kick in until game restart. I know that Hyperedit definitely has a live edit function, and I could've sworn some older planet making plugin had one too... The reason I ask is that with my current setup it takes literally around 10min to load KSP, and that's really unfriendly to workflow to have to wait that long between changes. If there is a way to 'live edit' as such I'd be eternally grateful as it'd simplify basic planet editing greatly for me :D

There is a plugin for this. In combination with HyperEdit, it will allow you to edit planets in-game.

16 hours ago, Caelus5 said:

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted ^^

Kittopia is handy, but sometimes you just need to exit to edit things outside of it. So, I have a complete separate KSP install with just those few mods I need for planet editing.  Makes restarts much faster.

Edited by JetJaguar

Hi all I had a crash and I think its to do with this mod?

My system is

Win 10

16GB of ram

480 8gb graphic card

mod list is here

Spoiler

KSP: 1.2.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
000_AT_Utils - 1.4.2
Filter Extensions - 2.8.1.2
Toolbar - 1.7.13
USI Tools - 0.8.16
B9 Animation Modules - 1.0.5
B9 Part Switch - 1.7.1
B9 Aerospace - 6.3.1
BD Animation Modules - 0.6.4.2
BDArmory - 0.11.1.6
BetterTimeWarpContinued - 2.3.6.1
CactEye Telescopes - 1.2.2.11
Community Category Kit - 1.2.2
Community Resource Pack - 0.6.6
CommunityTechTree - 3.0.3
ConfigurableContainers - 2.4.0.5
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.10
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.8
Contract Parser - 1.0.5
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.7.3
Progress Parser - 1.0.6
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.3.11.1
EVAEnhancementsContinued - 0.1.6
EVA Struts - 1.0.3
EVA Transfer - 1.0.6
Extraplanetary Launchpads - 5.7.1
Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.16
Firespitter - 7.5.1
Flexible Docking - 1.0.4
GroundConstruction - 1.1.2.1
Hangar - 3.3.1
Haystack Continued - 0.5.2.1
HeatControl - 0.3.4
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.4.4
RasterPropMonitor - 0.28
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.2
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.2.8
Kerbal Foundries - 2.0.1.4
InlineBallutes - 1.2.7
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.4.3
MKS Patches for KPBS - 0.9.5
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
KSPWheel - 0.9.4.14
Infernal Robots - 2.0.10
Infernal Robotics Sequencer - 1.0
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.3
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.5.2
NSS-OctoSat - 0.1.6
Outer Planets Mod - 2.0
PartCommanderContinued - 0.1.1.1
PartWizardContinued - 1.3.2
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.4.2
Precise Maneuver - 2.2.5
QuizTechAeroPackContinued - 1.3.8
RealChute - 1.4.1.2
RemoteTech - 1.8.6
AmpYear - 1.4.6
SCANsat - 1.1.7.4
SmartParts - 1.9.4
TacSelfDestructContinued - 1.6.2
TakeCommandContinued - 1.4.8
ThrottleControlledAvionics - 3.4.1
TAC Life Support - 0.12.9
ToadicusToolsContinued - 0.22
Trajectories - 1.6.6
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.8.4
TweakableEverything - 0.1.18
TweakScale - 2.3.4.4
USI Core - 0.3.9
Asteroid Recycling Tech - 0.9.8
USI Exploration Pack - 0.7.3
Freight Transport Tech - 0.6.7
Karbonite - 0.8.7
Konstruction - 0.1.11
Malemute Rover - 0.2.7
MKS - 0.50.17
NuclearRockets - 0.3.8
Sounding Rockets - 0.5.8
USI Alcubierre Drive - 0.5.4
Universal Storage - 1.2.2
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.12.11
Waypoint Manager - 2.6.2
[x] Science! - 5.5

And error log is here

https://www.sendspace.com/file/uw4be2

please advise :(

6 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

Does anyone know what the units are for the radius of rings?  I would have assumed they are in meters, but they seem to be some kind of multiplier.

they are linked to the planet's radius, I don't really remember the relationship

maybe something like " planet radius / 6000 " or something like that

13 minutes ago, stk2008 said:

Hi all I had a crash and I think its to do with this mod?

My system is

Win 10

16GB of ram

480 8gb graphic card

mod list is here

Reveal hidden contents

KSP: 1.2.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
000_AT_Utils - 1.4.2
Filter Extensions - 2.8.1.2
Toolbar - 1.7.13
USI Tools - 0.8.16
B9 Animation Modules - 1.0.5
B9 Part Switch - 1.7.1
B9 Aerospace - 6.3.1
BD Animation Modules - 0.6.4.2
BDArmory - 0.11.1.6
BetterTimeWarpContinued - 2.3.6.1
CactEye Telescopes - 1.2.2.11
Community Category Kit - 1.2.2
Community Resource Pack - 0.6.6
CommunityTechTree - 3.0.3
ConfigurableContainers - 2.4.0.5
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.10
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.8
Contract Parser - 1.0.5
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.7.3
Progress Parser - 1.0.6
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.3.11.1
EVAEnhancementsContinued - 0.1.6
EVA Struts - 1.0.3
EVA Transfer - 1.0.6
Extraplanetary Launchpads - 5.7.1
Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.16
Firespitter - 7.5.1
Flexible Docking - 1.0.4
GroundConstruction - 1.1.2.1
Hangar - 3.3.1
Haystack Continued - 0.5.2.1
HeatControl - 0.3.4
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.4.4
RasterPropMonitor - 0.28
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.2
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.2.8
Kerbal Foundries - 2.0.1.4
InlineBallutes - 1.2.7
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.4.3
MKS Patches for KPBS - 0.9.5
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
KSPWheel - 0.9.4.14
Infernal Robots - 2.0.10
Infernal Robotics Sequencer - 1.0
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.3
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.5.2
NSS-OctoSat - 0.1.6
Outer Planets Mod - 2.0
PartCommanderContinued - 0.1.1.1
PartWizardContinued - 1.3.2
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.4.2
Precise Maneuver - 2.2.5
QuizTechAeroPackContinued - 1.3.8
RealChute - 1.4.1.2
RemoteTech - 1.8.6
AmpYear - 1.4.6
SCANsat - 1.1.7.4
SmartParts - 1.9.4
TacSelfDestructContinued - 1.6.2
TakeCommandContinued - 1.4.8
ThrottleControlledAvionics - 3.4.1
TAC Life Support - 0.12.9
ToadicusToolsContinued - 0.22
Trajectories - 1.6.6
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.8.4
TweakableEverything - 0.1.18
TweakScale - 2.3.4.4
USI Core - 0.3.9
Asteroid Recycling Tech - 0.9.8
USI Exploration Pack - 0.7.3
Freight Transport Tech - 0.6.7
Karbonite - 0.8.7
Konstruction - 0.1.11
Malemute Rover - 0.2.7
MKS - 0.50.17
NuclearRockets - 0.3.8
Sounding Rockets - 0.5.8
USI Alcubierre Drive - 0.5.4
Universal Storage - 1.2.2
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.12.11
Waypoint Manager - 2.6.2
[x] Science! - 5.5

And error log is here

https://www.sendspace.com/file/uw4be2

please advise :(

try moving the game out of program files

Hi Sigma88

Thanks for the fast reply.

This is a Steam install so default install location is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program

I shall install the game by copying the KSP folder into my other SSD so path will be

F:\Kerbal Space Program

Whats the error above mean though?

What will moving KSP out of program files do?

I am not questioning your suggestion only curius :)

Thanks again for such a fast reply :)

Edited by stk2008

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.