[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

Hi, used V5 with GPP today to try it out.

Iota was lit over 90% of it's surface, with a narrow strip of vertical shadow to represent night, like it was being illuminated by two suns. Only Ciro was visible.To get that kind of coverage, the second phantom sun had to have been around 160 deg offset from Ciro. Here is a screenshot:

SYQCKVn.png

Thanks

Edited by Gilph

2 hours ago, Gilph said:

Iota was lit over 90% of it's surface, with a narrow strip of vertical shadow to represent night, like it was being illuminated by two suns. Only Ciro was visible.To get that kind of coverage, the second phantom sun had to have been around 160 deg offset from Ciro. Here is a screenshot:

The GPP dev team is aware of this problem.  GPP is not yet compatible with Kopernicus 1.3.0-5, so don't use it.  Continue to use 1.3.0-4 until GPP releases an update.

3 hours ago, Gilph said:

SYQCKVn.png

Thanks

I mean, I did say not to use this version on the GPP thread... 

Had the odd lighting issue as well, but this isn't an additional bug report.  I just reinstalled the last version of Kopernicus.

Also, @Gilph, the new GPP DOES have two suns - Ciro and Grannus.  Possibly Grannus was illuminating the other side (even though we know it shouldn't).  Which segues nicely into...

A possible/occasional workaround for the solar panel issue is to just retract them and extend them (if they retract).  They ARE pointing at Grannus (as far as I can tell), but doing the retract/extend cycle seems to reset them to Ciro... most of the time

8 minutes ago, MaxxQ said:

Also, @Gilph, the new GPP DOES have two suns - Ciro and Grannus.  Possibly Grannus was illuminating the other side (even though we know it shouldn't).  Which segues nicely into...

Yes, this is the case. The latest Kopernicus introduces light intensity curves per star, which we do not have set up at this time because the release is so fresh and we are catching up. If you use the current GPP setup, Grannus and Ciro, I think, are putting off the same amount of intensity because the curves aren't set, resulting in bodies being lit on both sides.

Slight heads up.

I was playing with Kopernicus-1.3.0-4. I downloaded Kopernicus-1.3.0-5 (zipped file). Delete contents of ...\GameData\Kopernicus folder. Copied contents of ...\GameData\Kopernicus (after unzipping) into existing empty ...\GameData\Kopernicus folder. Same procedure used with ModularFlightIntegrator folder and contents.

I had some planes landed at the north pole and south pole of the homeworld Kerbin. When I went to play, they were landed fine, but on the surface of Kerbins sun.

I don't know if it is relevant but I am using KSS_0.6.1, Kerbal StarSystem.

Thinking it was not a huge problem I emptied the Kopernicus folder once more and replace the original contents. I thought I had been clever by making a copy of the Kopernicus folder before deleting its contents.

Anyway I now have a bit of a headache, because although my game save does drop me back into the game where I had saved it, just after coming to a stop after landing a plane, the other planes still vanish. Or something like that, basically its all a bit messed up.

I take it this has something to do with how planets and suns are relocated?

btw the save I refer to above is a quick save, will soon try using a slightly earlier proper manual save. Current behavior is - load KSP, load quicksave, find myself at plane north pole, switch to tracking station, which eventually loads. Initially I see my expected vehicles etc, then they all vanish, and I get loads of numbers of types of craft, 99 for each I think. But none appear in the list and basically KSP throws a fit.

Edited by Apaseall

After switching to new koppernicus, getting some strange acceleration like behavior out of my station even when no engines are on? It appears to have been a time-warp artifact. Not certain is koppernicus related, it was when accelerating time while on approach to dock a vessel.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

4 hours ago, Apaseall said:

Slight heads up.

I was playing with Kopernicus-1.3.0-4. I downloaded Kopernicus-1.3.0-5 (zipped file). Delete contents of ...\GameData\Kopernicus folder. Copied contents of ...\GameData\Kopernicus (after unzipping) into existing empty ...\GameData\Kopernicus folder. Same procedure used with ModularFlightIntegrator folder and contents.

I had some planes landed at the north pole and south pole of the homeworld Kerbin. When I went to play, they were landed fine, but on the surface of Kerbins sun.

I don't know if it is relevant but I am using KSS_0.6.1, Kerbal StarSystem.

Thinking it was not a huge problem I emptied the Kopernicus folder once more and replace the original contents. I thought I had been clever by making a copy of the Kopernicus folder before deleting its contents.

Anyway I now have a bit of a headache, because although my game save does drop me back into the game where I had saved it, just after coming to a stop after landing a plane, the other planes still vanish. Or something like that, basically its all a bit messed up.

I take it this has something to do with how planets and suns are relocated?

btw the save I refer to above is a quick save, will soon try using a slightly earlier proper manual save. Current behavior is - load KSP, load quicksave, find myself at plane north pole, switch to tracking station, which eventually loads. Initially I see my expected vehicles etc, then they all vanish, and I get loads of numbers of types of craft, 99 for each I think. But none appear in the list and basically KSP throws a fit.

KSS is very dependent on the version of Kopernicus that is listed in its OP. That is the only version of Kopernicus that will work with KSS at the moment. Trying to skip ahead to this new version will break KSS as it has not been updated to work with with the changes in 1.3. Just be patient, and wait for the KSS to update the mod. That is literally all you can do at the moment.

Edited by Galileo

Here's an example code for the new rings with as much info as I could find.

Rings
{
	// Reference:
	// <float> -> 'single precision floating point number'. Basically this entry supports the usage of decimals, unlike an integer.

// <bool> -> 'boolean'. Like a classic light switch that can only be 'off' or 'on', a boolean can only be 'true' or 'false'.
	// Booleans are a way for computers to check 'statements'.
	// Example: 'Timmy stole three cookies from the cookie jar'.
	// Then if we ask the computer the status of the boolean 'did Timmy steal cookies?' the answer would be 'true'.
	// A bit more coding-like: we have the boolean 'a', and two floats, 'b' and 'c', and we ask the computer to compare the values of 'b' and 'c'
	// Then we would write:
	// if (b == c) //Ergo, if b is equal to c
	// {
	// 		a = true;
	// }
	// else        //Ergo, if b is not equal to c, execute this code instead.
	// {
	// 		a = false;
	// }
    // Booleans can often be defined as statements that can be true or false. (lockRotation = 'rotation is locked')
    // Or you can think of them as a question that you can answer yes or no to. (yes = true, no = false) (lockRotation = 'lock rotation?')

// <int> -> 'integer'. A way for computers to store whole numbers and whole numbers only.
	// Ergo entering '255.3' would result in an error as an integer can only be a whole number. Entering '255' however, is just fine.

// <Texture> -> a texture. Just enter a filepath to a texture here.

Ring
	{
			// These require a different format than you might think.
			// Function: R = (l/r)*1000
			// Where R is the radius as you would enter it below,
			// l is the start/end limiter of your ring (start: value for innerRadius, end: value for outerRadius)
			// And r is the radius of your planet.

// Example:

// "I want my ring to start at a semi-major axis of 8 million meters (8 000 000 m)"
			// "I want my ring to end at a semi-major axis of 15 million meters (15 000 000 m)"
			// "The planet I want it around has a radius of 6 million meters (6 000 000, ergo 1 Jool radii)"
			// Then the result is: R = (8000000 / 6000000) * 1000 = ~1333.
			// And: R = (15000000 / 6000000) * 1000 = 2500
			// So we enter:
			// innerRadius = 1333
			// outerRadius = 2500
			// Since innerRadius and outerRadius expect a 'float', we can also add decimals if we want.
		innerRadius = <float>
		outerRadius = <float>

// "The distance between the top and bottom faces of the ring in milliradii"
		thickness = <float>

// The inclination of the ring relative to the planet's equator
		angle = <float>

// "Angle between the absolute reference direction and the ascending node."
			// Layman's terms: use this to offset the ring relative to the planet's surface, the 'longitude'.
		longitudeOfAscendingNode = <float>

// The texture of your ring.
		texture = <Texture>

// The texture is multiplied by this color.
			// Since it is UnityEngine.Color (Unity's color format), we have three different color formats.
			// Format 1: UnityEngine. Ergo: color = r,g,b,a with r,g,b and a on a scale of 0-1.
			// Format 2: Image Editing Software. Ergo: color = RGBA(r,g,b,a) with r,g,b and a on a scale of 0-255.
			// Format 3: Hexadecimals. Ergo: color = #rrggbb using hexadecimals for each color. Alpha is automatically set to 1.

// Example: we want the color to be pure white.
			// Format 1: color = 1,1,1,1
			// Format 2: color = RGBA(255,255,255,255)
			// Format 3: color = #ffffff
		color = <UnityEngine.Color>

// Whether the rotation of the ring is locked. Ergo: should the ring rotate?
			// 'Yes' -> enter 'false'
			// 'No' -> enter 'true'
			// Example: we want a ring that does NOT rotate. Therefore we lock it's rotation. So we enter:
			// lockRotation = true
		lockRotation = <bool>

// The rotation period of the ring in seconds.
			// Example: "I want my ring to rotate once every 17 minutes"
			// Then you would enter: 17 * 60 = 1020
			// Result: rotationPeriod = 1020

// Note:
			// If 'lockRotation' is true: setting the value of rotationPeriod to 0 will stop the ring from moving entirely.
			// If 'lockRotation' is false: setting the value of rotationPeriod to 0 will make the ring adopt the planet's rotation period.
			// Example: the planet has a rotation period of four hours, lockRotation is false and rotationPeriod is set to zero.
			// Result: the ring has a rotation period of four hours as well.
		rotationPeriod = <float>

// If true, ring will receive no light-based information. Set to false if you are using the new shaders, otherwise set to true.
		unlit = <bool>

// Whether or not you want to use Blackrack's fancy ring shaders (stuff like planet shadows).
			// Enter true if you want them, enter false if you don't.
		useNewShader = <bool>

// The penumbra multiplier for the new ring shader. You don't have to specify this if you don't use Blackrack's ring shader.
		penumbraMultiplier = <float>

// The amount of vertices of the ring.
			// In layman's terms: the greater this number, the higher the quality, but the harder it becomes to render the ring.
		steps = <float>

// "Number of times the texture should be tiled around the cylinder"
		tiles = <float>
	}
}

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

KSS is very dependent on the version of Kopernicus that is listed in its OP. That is the only version of Kopernicus that will work with KSS at the moment. Trying to skip ahead to this new version will break KSS as it has not been updated to work with with the changes in 1.3. Just be patient, and wait for the KSS to update the mod. That is literally all you can do at the moment.

I very much agree with you. That is why I took the back up. I am currently working on adding in each vessel back into a save game. I quickly reverted back to previous version of Kopernicus. Just thought it was worth putting a note here that things go a bit wonky, and reverting is not as easy as it sounds. So far I have vessels that are in orbit around other planets working. I suspect that the planes landed on Kerbin are going to be toast. But that is not a huge issue, I can always fly more planes. Just hope the probes n comms in space don't have to be launched again :)

Using latest New Horisons. Have the same problems with warp jumping and messing existing trajectories and orbits (even hyperedit can't land crafts with version 5) so had to revert back to version 4.

While we can wait for updates for planet packs right now CKAN installs 5 version with all planet packs, while planet packs are made for 4 version.

Edited by Khalkion

32 minutes ago, Khalkion said:

While we can wait for updates for planet packs right now CKAN installs 5 version with all planet packs, while planet packs are made for 4 version.

Unfortunately it's up to the planet packs to specify version limits in their CKAN metadata, and they couldn't have known ahead of time that there would be incompatible changes in Kopernicus.

@linuxgurugamer, most of the existing Kopernicus dependencies in NetKAN should have "max_version": "1.3.0-4" added. Is there an easy way to add that quickly and safely?

so is this version mismatch the reason why since the -5 update my game won't even load to the main menu?  well, it does, but the main menu is just a black screen and I have to alt-tab and kill KSP to get out... I'm using Interstellar Adventure Revived.. was working fine until the -5 update.  Is the fix to just uninstall and go back to -4 for now?

32 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

so is this version mismatch the reason why since the -5 update my game won't even load to the main menu?  well, it does, but the main menu is just a black screen and I have to alt-tab and kill KSP to get out... I'm using Interstellar Adventure Revived.. was working fine until the -5 update.  Is the fix to just uninstall and go back to -4 for now?

Planet packs may require updating to make them compatible with Koperniucs 1.3.0-5.  Unless the mod you're using has released an update or says that it will work with Kopernicus -5, I'd recommend continuing to use 1.3.0-4.

39 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Planet packs may require updating to make them compatible with Koperniucs 1.3.0-5.  Unless the mod you're using has released an update or says that it will work with Kopernicus -5, I'd recommend continuing to use 1.3.0-4.

IA-Revived *just* released an update less than 12 hours before 1.3.0-5 came out.. sadly it doesn't work.  I posted on their forums and asked if ProtoJeb21 (the maintainer) was aware of the issue or not.  So far no response.

22 minutes ago, Galileo said:

@Sigma88 is there a line i can add to the cfg to dictate how close the camera can get to a body in the tracking station? I thought i remembered seeing it at one point, but i may be making things up

Isn't:

Kopernicus
{
	Body
	{
		Properties
		{
			maxZoom = value in m
		}
	}
}

... what you are looking for?

EDIT: Although maybe not entirely up to date at this point, https://github.com/Kopernicus/kittopia-dumps are very handy for reference. :wink: 

Edited by Poodmund

everybody, plese stop asking questions about planet packs here

this is a forum thread for kopernicus, if you have issues with a specific planet pack go bother who is maintaining that planet pack

otherwise we flood this thread with a bunch of useless crap

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

@Sigma88 is there a line i can add to the cfg to dictate how close the camera can get to a body in the tracking station? I thought i remembered seeing it at one point, but i may be making things up

yup, like pood said it's maxZoom under Properties

the number describes the amount of meters that fit vertically in the screen when max zoomed

so basically, if you want kerbin's poles to touch the top and bottom of the screen at maxZoom you need to use 1200000

Edited by Sigma88

On 8/17/2017 at 11:24 AM, Thomas P. said:

I released Kopernicus 1.3.0-5 / backport 1.2.2-10, you can read the changelog on github (where you find the download too). It contains some pretty neat features for stars and rings.

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases/tag/release-1.3.0-5

Thanks for merging those changes! I'm hoping to see lots of gas giants with rings and moons, all rotating and orbiting in the same inclined planes. :)

On 5/2/2017 at 11:31 AM, blackrack said:

I didn't even realize the old shader read the diagonal, I'll take care of it.

Pull requests to make the new shader use the same texture coordinates as the old one (plus a few more shader-related goodies):

This should allow old rings to switch to the new shader (and gain the benefit of shadows cast by planets) without having to change their textures.

On 3/1/2017 at 0:34 PM, seanth said:

Is there any way to make a Dyson Sphere like object using Kopernicus? I was thinking one could make a white dwarf star with a radius close to Kerbin's, and then around it is a Jool-sized planet. That would put the star inside a shell, but how would one put a terrain _inside_, and how would you get in?

It's not quite a Dyson sphere, but that pull request also includes three new properties to support the last missing piece of a real-scale Ringworld visualization, the shadow square shadows (just barely visible in the shot centered on the Sun):

29487873-d70bd834-84c5-11e7-8172-90e057f

Coming Soon™ to a mod release thread near you (unless I decide it's important to be able to land on it first)...

The moment I activate time warp, the orbit properties will change for a little bit. and it will change again when I activate time warp again.

For example,my apoapsis at 300Mm, i use time warp once, no matter what the rate is, the orbit will change, apoapsis became 297Mm, i use it again, it became 295Mm, until the orbit was nothing like the original.

Here's my log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7j4h8qzonnfoxub/output_log.zip?dl=0

Plz help me

20 minutes ago, Iso-Polaris said:

The moment I activate time warp, the orbit properties will change for a little bit. and it will change again when I activate time warp again.

For example,my apoapsis at 300Mm, i use time warp once, no matter what the rate is, the orbit will change, apoapsis became 297Mm, i use it again, it became 295Mm, until the orbit was nothing like the original.

Here's my log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7j4h8qzonnfoxub/output_log.zip?dl=0

Plz help me

are you using any planet packs? if you are, you should report this issue to the devs of that planet pack

if you are not, click the nyan cat in my sig and upload the rest of the files listed there

1 hour ago, Iso-Polaris said:

I have noticed this when activating auto-warp that transitions SoI. Using manual time warp will keep the orbit from jumping around.

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

are you using any planet packs? if you are, you should report this issue to the devs of that planet pack

What changes could a planet dev make that would solve the problem?  Is there any particular config lines that cause this?

13 minutes ago, MrChumley said:

What changes could a planet dev make that would solve the problem?  Is there any particular config lines that cause this?

the point is that an end user should report the issues to the planet packs developers who in turn will check if the issue is caused by their mods (example, weird soi boundary that makes orbits freak out)

if the planet pack dev finds out that the problem is caused by kopernicus, then he will report the issue here.

otherwise we end up with a bunch of reports that are caused by errors in planet packs, which makes us less likely to see the real Kopernicus issues 

and since we have a limited free-time, if we waste the majority of it to debug issues caused by planet packs, the progress on kopernicus will of course be slower

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.