CoM and CoL in flight

A simple debug feature (much like how f12 shows drag/lift) that would display the CoL, CoM, and CoT while in flight. This would help with spaceplanes because you could adjust fuel levels to balance it out or watch how it moves in flight.

4 hours ago, CodeFantastic said:

A simple debug feature (much like how f12 shows drag/lift) that would display the CoL, CoM, and CoT while in flight. This would help with spaceplanes because you could adjust fuel levels to balance it out or watch how it moves in flight.

Yup I have asked for this already, I think its mod territory but I don't know if it's even possible.

18 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Yup I have asked for this already, I think its mod territory but I don't know if it's even possible.

If they can do it in the hangar, they can do it in flight !

Basically, one would need to think about if it would fit in the game: Finding the center of mass for simple planes irl is done by weighing the aircraft on the ground (in the SPH). One would need a computer to then estimate the CoM in flight. Which doesnt sound very Kerbally to me. Yet it would be ok for the debug menu..  It would make the game more user friendly. Ppl would be able to see why their craft isnt stable, removing the main frustration of not knowing why you crash.

Yet it can be worked around: A possible solution what I apply, is to empty all the tanks in the SPH and see if the craft is still flyable with engines running on fumes.

1 minute ago, Knaapie said:

If they can do it in the hangar, they can do it in flight !

Basically, one would need to think about if it would fit in the game: Finding the center of mass for simple planes irl is done by weighing the aircraft on the ground (in the SPH). One would need a computer to then estimate the CoM in flight. Which doesnt sound very Kerbally to me. Yet it would be ok for the debug menu..  It would make the game more user friendly. Ppl would be able to see why their craft isnt stable, removing the main frustration of not knowing why you crash.

Yet it can be worked around: A possible solution what I apply, is to empty all the tanks in the SPH and see if the craft is still flyable with engines running on fumes.

Or they can just add a second option to CoM that displays dry CoM.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.