[1.1.2] Revamped Kerbol Atmospheres

Cetera

Revamped Kerbol System Atmospheres

This is an EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and Scatterer configuration for use with @GregroxMun's Revamped Stock Kerbol System mod. Greg asked me to help him create this for his mod, and I was happy to help. He and I discussed the changes to be made for the Revamp, and I've done my best to implement his vision for this mod.

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 1.1-3 or later is required!

Scatterer v0.0246 or later is required!

To install, first download and install EVE and the standard EVE configs, and install Scatterer and any additional Scatterer sunflare as you desire. Then download and extract the RevampedKerbolAtmos.zip file. Copy the GameData folder into your KSP install, and overwrite the existing Scatterer configs.

Currently it is not possible to implement Scatterer configs via a ModuleManager patch, and custom textures for Scatterer are in use with this mod. However, the MM patch in the "Cetera" folder will make the necessary changes to the BoulderCo > Atmosphere >clouds.cfg. This file must exist for module manager to update in order for this mod to work.

Download

License: GPLv3, primarily due to using the Scatterer config tool to create the textures and the configurations, and that is the license Scatterer is released under.  

Special thanks to @GregroxMun for making the Revamped Stock Kerbol System mod, @rbray89 for creating and supporting EVE all these years, and @blackrack for the Scatter mod. KSP just wouldn't look nearly as good without the efforts of those two gentleman, and you should each thank them personally.

A huge thank you to @Raptor831 for coaching me through writing the ModuleManager patch, and explaining to me like I'm five how module manager works. His patience was instrumental in making this mod happen.

Details:

• Jool has a more yellow cloud color, and a very pale green atmosphere in Scatterer.
  • Lathe has a more blue-ish gray atmosphere, adding an additional cloud layer.
  • Duna has very light, wispy, high-altitude clouds.  The clouds are a light brownish-orange.
  • Eve has been reworked to keep the stock EVE textures, but turn them a very nice pink, almost salmon, color.  The atmosphere in Scatterer still has a purple highlight.
  • Moho has a very thin, gray atmosphere.  At higher elevations on the planet, it will not show up at all, as you are above the majority of the atmosphere.  At lower elevations, it will provide a gray highlight to the horizon.
Edited by Cetera

34 minutes ago, Hysterrics said:

Looks interesting! I'll try it out after it gets a few updates. :)

Only try it out if you want to run the Revamped Stock Kerbol System mod.  Hopefully there won't need to be any updates to this pack for that mod.

Slight problem with downloading it on Spacedock?

http://i.imgur.com/QDu1ogz.gifv

TL:DS It brings me to a 404 Not Found page.

Spoiler

Not Found

The requested URL /Cetera_280/Revamped_Kerbol_System_Atmospheres/Revamped_Kerbol_System_Atmospheres-0.2.zip was not found on this server.

Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at cdn.spacedock.info Port 80

7 hours ago, HawkedUpSpace said:

Slight problem with downloading it on Spacedock?

http://i.imgur.com/QDu1ogz.gifv

TL:DS It brings me to a 404 Not Found page.

Reveal hidden contents

Not Found

The requested URL /Cetera_280/Revamped_Kerbol_System_Atmospheres/Revamped_Kerbol_System_Atmospheres-0.2.zip was not found on this server.

Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at cdn.spacedock.info Port 80

It seems to be working fine now.  I'm guessing there may have been a hiccup with Spacedock.  I just downloaded it myself to test for you, and I rec'd the file, and it contains the proper info I uploaded.

Edited by Cetera

15 hours ago, Cetera said:

It seems to be working fine now.  I'm guessing there may have been a hiccup with Spacedock.  I just downloaded it myself to test for you, and I rec'd the file, and it contains the proper info I uploaded.

Did you publish it? EDIT: it does work, so probably yeah.

Looks amazing, by the way. :D

Edited by GregroxMun

On 5/29/2016 at 10:16 PM, Cetera said:

Yeah, I can download it now, anyways, nice work, Jool looks beautiful!

• 4 months later...

RSSS is updated for 1.2, as are Scatterer and EVE. Has anyone tries this mod with 1.2? It should work, but may require slight tweaks to EVE configs, as I changed the meaning of _MinLight in the 1.2 update.

Note that modifying the BoulderCo config is probably not the best way to provide an alternative config for EVE. The BoulderCo configurations are considered a separate download, so it's better for people to just download the EVE plugin and the alternative configs, entirely skipping the BoulderCo files. The licensing of the files allows you to copy the textures etc. if you want to use just those.

@Waz At the time, I think that was the best method I had.  I don't remember why.  Since the configs are separate from the plugin now, we can definitely just have our own.  Would you be willing to help me rewrite a new config?  There are probably sufficient changes with Scatterer that those need to be redone too.  

Greg's vision for his modpack is evolving, so I'm reticent to spend too much time making changes that will need to be changed again in the near future, as I'm limited in time availability as it is.  If you want to be a co-author/resource, I'd be happy to let you.

I know one thing that needs to be changed is the volumetric layers in the this reconfig, as I think there were a bunch on Eve that will kill performance.  I don't remember on Laythe or Kerbin.

13 hours ago, Cetera said:

@Waz At the time, I think that was the best method I had.  I don't remember why.  Since the configs are separate from the plugin now, we can definitely just have our own.  Would you be willing to help me rewrite a new config?  There are probably sufficient changes with Scatterer that those need to be redone too.  

Greg's vision for his modpack is evolving, so I'm reticent to spend too much time making changes that will need to be changed again in the near future, as I'm limited in time availability as it is.  If you want to be a co-author/resource, I'd be happy to let you.

I know one thing that needs to be changed is the volumetric layers in the this reconfig, as I think there were a bunch on Eve that will kill performance.  I don't remember on Laythe or Kerbin.

I'm pretty rubbish at the art side of things, all I know is the technical details behind them, and then only for clouds and city lights.

The new EVE version only requires one change: any config using _MinLight should just not set it (i.e. use the default 0). Volumetric cloud performance has been improved by turning off any volumes further than 10km away from the camera in altitude; so performance will only be better than before. This 10km is tweakable, but usually 10km is best - it ensures clouds almost never "pop" in or out of existence.

The reason I asked is that I'd like to assemble a list on the EVE page of other compatible configurations, to try help players find what suits them.

On 10/29/2016 at 6:40 AM, Waz said:

I'm pretty rubbish at the art side of things, all I know is the technical details behind them, and then only for clouds and city lights.

The new EVE version only requires one change: any config using _MinLight should just not set it (i.e. use the default 0). Volumetric cloud performance has been improved by turning off any volumes further than 10km away from the camera in altitude; so performance will only be better than before. This 10km is tweakable, but usually 10km is best - it ensures clouds almost never "pop" in or out of existence.

The reason I asked is that I'd like to assemble a list on the EVE page of other compatible configurations, to try help players find what suits them.

Yeah, me too.  I made the config to reuse everything from EVE, 'cause I have no understanding of how to make my own, and made it to Greg's desires for what that atmos should look like.  As Greg starts getting his mod in a more finalized state, and I have some time, I'll try to work on a new config.  I wouldn't expect speedy results, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.