Wheel alignment guide in SPH

1 hour ago, gilflo said:

Would it be difficult to add a tool showing alignment of wheels on 3 axes in SPH?

A good alignment is the key for a straight take off and landing run!

This is already possible with FS plugin.Download the plugin from here (you need the plugin only(Firespitter.dll)),or if you use any of the RoverDude's stuf(MKS/OKS,Malemute...)you already have it.
Then you can use MM patch to add the alignment tool to all wheels and landing gear:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleWheelBase],!MODULE[ModuleWheelLock]]
{
MODULE
 {
 name = FSwheelAlignment
 }
}

Now when in SPH right click on part to show UI and select "Alignment guide".

The patch is working for all stock wheels and landing gears,if you missing any part,you can add

MODULE
 {
 name = FSwheelAlignment
 }

manually or make the patch for a specific part.

Edited by sebi.zzr
PS:I know this is S&D thread and i should not make modded suggestions,but it's workaround until those kind of tools become stock.

On 29.05.2016 at 0:46 PM, gilflo said:

Would it be difficult to add a tool showing alignment of wheels on 3 axes in SPH?

A good alignment is the key for a straight take off and landing run!

Hangar Grid does that too. It also allows to align them in one click.

21 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

You can also turn on "absolute" alignment with the rotate tool (press F to do so). That, combined with angle snap, makes it pretty easy to get wheel aligned perfectly.

That's absolutely no good if the wheel's parent part (e.g. the wheel well is underneath a cambered wing) is not rotated on an angle snap point. If you use the angle snap, you'll always rotate past alignment in either direction, if you don't, there's a good chance you're a fraction of a degree off.

Even if the gizmo is in absolute mode, the snap is still relative to the part's current orientation.

3 hours ago, Stoney3K said:

That's absolutely no good if the wheel's parent part (e.g. the wheel well is underneath a cambered wing) is not rotated on an angle snap point. If you use the angle snap, you'll always rotate past alignment in either direction, if you don't, there's a good chance you're a fraction of a degree off.

Even if the gizmo is in absolute mode, the snap is still relative to the part's current orientation.

That has not been my experience. With the rotate tool in absolute mode it ignores orientation of the parent part altogether, it orients relative to the VAB/SPH itself. I only mentioned angle snap in my post as it has to be on to get the rotate tool to snap to the cardinal orientations, it doesn't matter whether the parent part was place with angle snap or not.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.