stowed, stowed, stowed

Gordon Dry

Several messages have been pruned from this thread.

Folks, just a friendly reminder to keep it constructive.  Yes, the original post is a bit unclear, and clarification has been asked for.  It's unhelpful to post sarcastic comments poking fun at the OP.

Thank you for your understanding.

Limits - ehm - playability.

1 minute ago, SpacedCowboy said:

I believe OP is venting frustration from using service bays. The "Cannot access while stowed" bug/feature, ( just a guess however )

Exactamente.

Fairings, no matter if stock or procedural - it's the same.

Edited by Gordon Dry

2 hours ago, SpacedCowboy said:

I believe OP is venting frustration from using service bays. The "Cannot access while stowed" bug/feature, ( just a guess however )

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Limits - ehm - playability.

Exactamente.

Fairings, no matter if stock or procedural - it's the same.

For those of us who have never had any issues with this (perhaps due to difference in play style) and are totally clueless about what the problem is, could you elucidate?  e.g. give a specific scenario where it bites you?  "I build a ship with a <thing> in <another thing>, and then I want to <do something> but it won't let me" or the like.

Trying to understand exactly what the problem is, here.

I think @Gordon Dry is talking about a bug to do with parts being considered stowed, i.e. stored inside a closed service/cargo bay, and therefore not being deployable when in fact they're not inside a service/cargo bay at all. I've experienced this bug with a landing gear that wouldn't deploy because it was mounted on the outside/underside of a shuttle cargo bay.

The solution for me was just to open the cargo bay and deploy, then close the cargo bay again. But that did kinda mess up my aerodynamics, so it was potentially disastrous to do so.

Edit: actually I see references to fairings, but that's beyond my experience of stowing-related bugs.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

I've also had the 'stowed' problem with just about every part that can extend (solar panels, landing gear, etc) that has been clipped into another part. I can understand the need for having wings and aerodynamic surfaces be disabled in cargo bays and fairings, but extending that to other parts just limits creativity.

When attaching extendable radiators radially around a reactor or a fusion engine, for example.

Under a fairing.

And if they're clipping, than their attachment base is clipping inside the surface of where they're mounted.

Perhaps I should try to always press 'C' before i use the movement tool to avoid snapping... mostly moving up/down always means snapping to left/right and forward/backward.

Just now, Gordon Dry said:

Perhaps I should try to always press 'C' before i use the movement tool to avoid snapping... mostly moving up/down always means snapping to left/right and forward/backward.

Or you could use the offset tool to make sure they're not clipped.

14 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

This wiki page at the bottom of the 'interface' subheading is a description of the offset tool (and other widgets). You use it to move parts around after they've been placed.

We were talking about the same - but I named it "movement tool" because I didn't check a wiki to see how it's named officially...

Attention:

I was able to avoid the stowed issue under a procedural fairing by grabbing the radial heat radiators and placing them again, pressing 'C' and using the 'offset tool' (press '2') and moving them without snapping.

As soon as they snap to any direction, they will most likely be stowed.

Edited by Gordon Dry

So, if I'm understanding the problem correctly... you are putting radiators under a fairing, and then trying to use those parts while the fairing is in place? That seems like a bad idea to me, because the heat would have nowhere to go, because it's trapped under the fairing.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, a screenshot might help.

• 1 month later...
On 31/05/2016 at 9:17 AM, Gordon Dry said:

Attention:

I was able to avoid the stowed issue under a procedural fairing by grabbing the radial heat radiators and placing them again, pressing 'C' and using the 'offset tool' (press '2') and moving them without snapping.

As soon as they snap to any direction, they will most likely be stowed.

Thanks..  Going to give it a go..  Maybe it's the snapping that is messing me up.

@severedsolo I think! He had same problem I have. Fitting aerials / dishes / panels etc. inside a fairinged module. AFTER jetteisoning the fairing you can not activate the item.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.