What is your proudest moment in KSP?

JacobJHC

My proudest moment was probably the first time I went interplanetary. I had a girl over, she wanted to see what all the fuss was about, so I showed her. Asked her where she wanted me to go, and she said another planet.

So, I sent Val to Duna. Got there just fine. That was a very proud moment. Got most of the way back, but it turned out I didn't have enough dv once I got back to Kerbin to get close enough to aerobrake, or get captured, or encounter either of the moons...so poor Val flew straight back out, and she's been there ever since.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 5/31/2016 at 1:07 AM, magnemoe said:

Probably the infamous Jool "landing" back in 0.21 , http://imgur.com/a/dahmU
think I was the first who did it without hyperedit, only mod used was mechjeb.

Yes I made an later run without refueling, as I found that the LV-N upper stage was inefficient and going all chemical during accent let me cut size.
http://i.imgur.com/DXQdQmZl.png
You can not do this anymore stock as the engines will have almost no trust deep down 

Also did an single stage grand tour, but many has done this. 

Hi, could you kindly provide some pictures or suggestions on how to do a single stage grand tour (including Eve)? I managed to do it with @Lt_Duckweed's craft, but I am also trying to do it again without ion engines.

On 4/11/2022 at 12:33 AM, Alpaca Z said:

Hi, could you kindly provide some pictures or suggestions on how to do a single stage grand tour (including Eve)? I managed to do it with @Lt_Duckweed's craft, but I am also trying to do it again without ion engines.

Single stage grand tour, yes I could use the docking port exploit or other kraken drives but else its impossible. 
An selected few very good players has made Eve SSTO, you can make an Tylo SSTO but its requirement does not match with the Eve one, Moho has other requirements again. 
Now you could stuff all this into an fuselage and launch into orbit and even combine before landing but its an order of magnitude of stuff I will touch. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Single stage grand tour, yes I could use the docking port exploit or other kraken drives but else its impossible. 
An selected few very good players has made Eve SSTO, you can make an Tylo SSTO but its requirement does not match with the Eve one, Moho has other requirements again. 
Now you could stuff all this into an fuselage and launch into orbit and even combine before landing but its an order of magnitude of stuff I will touch. 

Thank you!

Proudest moment? To get this "go- anywhere-low-g-cb's-ship" working. And completing this 'visit-and-and-land-on-all-low-g-bodies-in-one-launch' (meaning everything apart from Moho, Eve, Laythe and Tylo)

Using all stock game mechanics. And robotics to deploy landinglegs and drills and making it all small enough (partcount-wise) that my computer doesn't melt. Yes I'm proud of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well for me it would be landing on Duna, currently, that's the only planet I've landed Kerbals on. I made this super complicated mission where I sent two different vessels to Duna at the same time, one for landing, one for return. I made it so the return ship would enter Duna's SOI 3 days after the lander got to the surface. I re-entered the lander into Duna's atmo, almost exploded because the inflatable heatshield tried flipping me (for a reason I later figured out and learned to just remove the heatshield), then I landed it did science and stuff, deployed the solar panel's, etc. Then I switched over to the return ship, was able to get an Ike encounter after slowing down a bit, so I captured around Ike. Then I switched back over to the lander, flew into orbit, landed on Ike, rendezvoused with the return ship, then I went home. That mission was big because my first Duna mission failed in a very terrible manor, and since I'm on PS4, it is a hassle to quicksave since we don't have a button on the controller for it. But before that it was Rendezvous and docking, when that happened I jumped off my couch and started dancing, then I woke my dad up because he wanted to know when I was able to dock so he could see it. And in celebration, I re-entered both the capsules at the same time while they were still docked and landed them. Landing on the Mun though wasn't a challenge in science mode, but not so much for career.

guess as with others, first mun landing & successful return - this on the first console XBox release, no mods to "help", several test flights for probes first to work out what was needed to actually land etc.

craft was, and still is as I still use a similar version on the PC, totally overengineered and a bit draggy on launch with no fairing, but the sense of achievement of managing to do it after quite a few test launches of various craft in the programme meant the first crewed flight worked

first successful docking was similar, one of them things that seems as much a knack as anything and once you have done it a few times is quite easy.

Maybe not my proudest, but when I started out I had no idea how orbits worked and hadn't touched any tutorials. The first day I aimed for the Mun, straight up, maybe a half-dozen times, and at one point I sort of stopped to think about why it wasn't working and it clicked that I had to go sideways.

That was a cool moment.

19 hours ago, Catto said:

We just necro'd times 10

Because talking about proud moments will never get old ;)

I remember having the same start as Earthlinger - I was going up, and after a few times a seed of a thought started to nudge my brain: "Hey, gravity isn't disappearing above atmosphere! And see - if I you would just go slightly more to the side, maybe you could miss the planet?"

But I don't remember the moment of my first orbit.

However, a very proud moment was when I have finished creating a pretty universal kOS script to launch any rocket (I mean : any not exploding rocket) into Kerbin orbit! After experimenting with either looking at the current flight situation or flying a pre-defined path (adapted to desired orbit altitude, TWR and the aero profile of the rocket), I've settled for pre-defined paths. This allows me sometimes to launch even some wildly shaped behemoths, like wide rovers on top on a spike. (My apologies to all the engineers! If I would ever get a job at ESA, I would NEVER try to build something like this in real life!)

I keep using that script all the time now, as soon as I discover the necessary techs in a new career game. (I tend to keep starting new games after every longer break from playing KSP. That's why I still haven't seen any planet outside Kerbin SOI, even that I started playing when the version was like zero.something)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I found this topic a "bit" too late. Anyway.

My proudest moment in KSP is that in 1.9 (before the anchor was implemented in the game) I made the very first hanging base under the münar arch, using just stock parts (no KIS/KAS).

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.