Poll: KSP since 1.1.

The_Rocketeer

KSP version preference  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Please choose the answer that best describes your current KSP usage (for arguments sake, answer for your most-played installation).

• I'm playing 1.1.x without frequent bug-related issues.
    • I'm playing 1.1.x despite frequent bug-related issues and/or bugs affecting the way I play.
    • I'm playing 1.0.5 because 1.1.x has too many bugs.
    • I'm playing 1.0.5 for other reasons (e.g. modded install compatibility).
    • I'm playing an earlier version than 1.0.5.
    • I'm not playing KSP at all for other reasons.
    • I'm not playing KSP at all because it's too buggy in 1.1.x.
    • I'm not playing KSP at all because it's too buggy in any version.
  2. 2. Did you know you can still download 1.0.5 from Steam/the KSP Store? If not, would/does that affect your answer above?

• I knew, so no.
    • I didn't know/I forgot, and no.
    • I didn't know/I forgot, and yes.
  3. 3. Do you have more than one copy of KSP installed? If no, will your experiences with 1.1.x affect this going forward?

• Yes but I only really play the one I answered for in Question 1.
    • Yes and I frequently play more than one of them.
    • No, and no on principle. One install should be enough as long as it's thoroughly bug-checked before release.
    • No, and no, but I can deal with the bugs/I haven't really suffered from bugs so far.
    • No, and no for other reasons (e.g. HDD space).
    • No, but I'm now considering it going forward.
    • No, but I definitely will in future.
    • I don't have KSP installed just now.

Follow up from the 'Roll back to 1.0.5' poll.

@Red Iron Crown raised some concerns about the bias in the questions of that poll (which while unintentional I can see might in fact exist). I hope this is more compliant with his and others' exacting standards expectations.

Again, this is not a way for me to gain political leverage of any kind for any hidden agenda, it's just a plain old poll purely for interests' sake. Participate at your discretion.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

For me I only get the VAB/SPH crash when running a lot of mods like 20+ or 30+. Now I only run about 15 with most of them not taking up that much on the memory.

The game should be able to handle lots of mods, more than you could run on 1.0.5 (atleast what I was told & read up on). Now I run less mods than the amount I had on 1.0.5.

OK, slight anomaly here...

I voted playing 'despite bug issues', not because I encounter them, but because I'm avoiding doing stuff where they become an issue.   I haven't had the CTDs that many are reporting, but I'm not doing stuff with wheels or landing legs hardly at all, which is affecting my plans quite a bit, as I'm doing stuff in a different order to what I originally wanted/planned to.

==> Almost solely, deliberately, awkward question so ignore but I couldn't help myself:

So where's the "3. Do you have multiple-versions installed or saved so none of this is relevant?" question?

ETA for below: me too

Edited by Pecan

7 minutes ago, Pecan said:

==> Almost solely, deliberately, awkward question so ignore but I couldn't help myself:

So where's the "3. Do you have multiple-versions installed or saved so none of this is relevant?" question?

I'd say answer which version you either play the most or are enjoying the most.

As for me, I answered the top on both. The only real bug that's ... bugging me is the orbit one and it's not bad enough to ruin an otherwise fun game. I just make sure I'm time warping at least 5x unless I need to move the ship. Which I tended to do anyway.

Edited by 5thHorseman

12 minutes ago, Pecan said:

ETA for below: me too

I have now added a 3rd question, but if you've already voted I don't think you can answer it. Anybody know if there's a way to do that?

16 minutes ago, pandaman said:

OK, slight anomaly here...

I voted playing 'despite bug issues', not because I encounter them, but because I'm avoiding doing stuff where they become an issue.   I haven't had the CTDs that many are reporting, but I'm not doing stuff with wheels or landing legs hardly at all, which is affecting my plans quite a bit, as I'm doing stuff in a different order to what I originally wanted/planned to.

I would say this is the right answer for you then. The bug is affecting you, but it isn't stopping you from playing that version.

Frequent is relative. I've encountered a few bugs and a few CTDs, but not enough to big a thorn in my side and not any more noticeable than 1.0.5 was, just different. However the benefits of the 64bit KSP out weigh any and all bugs I have run into and nothing has been what I would describe as "Game Breaking." And in my opinion the bugs encountered are not "frequent" at all. So I voted for the first one.

I understand the intention with the other polls, this one not as bad. The issue I have with the other polls is you can't tell they were really written by people who were honestly not looking to stir trouble. They seemed like a honeypot to attract complaints, whether that was the intention or not, and I felt like the purpose the polls served was out weighed by the potential mob with pitchforks getting all riled up again about how Squad and 1.1.x sucks and they shouldn't have dropped the ball, or went on vacation, or released when they did, or blah blah blah, and none of that talk is beneficial and its all been aired at length anyway, so I feel like we should just move on with what we have and keep supporting Squad, cuz honestly, there really isn't another game that is anything like this anywhere, and Squad came out of nowhere and took a risk on it, and I for one appreciate that immensely cuz KSP is HANDS DOWN the BEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED, and the fact that they are still working on making it even better is AWESOME. As far as I'm concerned, Squad can take all the vacations they want, whenever they want. They already gave me what I paid for, so their additional work is just free icing on the cake.

Edited by EliasDanger

Like @pandaman I voted "despite bug issues" for similar reasons. I haven't exactly used wheels or legs too much, mostly for the fear that something horrible will happen. The only real reason I'm playing 1.1.x is because I can have all the same mods, and twice the performance on my potato.

@EliasDanger yes, frequent isn't a precise term, but this is a subjective poll that's supposed to reflect how you feel about your current KSP experience, so only you can decide what constitutes 'frequent' for you. This poll also doesn't differentiate between game-breaking bugs and mildly irritating bugs for the same reason. It's not about what is definitely happening, but how you feel about it and what you're doing about how you feel.

The roll-back poll was written after an exchange of posts with a community member who clearly felt that 1.0.5 was superior to 1.1.x, and although I disagreed I was trying to phrase the options in a way that would not look like a set-up to pull down such views. On reflecting on your and @Red Iron Crown's and other comments I realised I'd let that influence them too far in the other direction, hence my decision to start over.

Voted "I'm playing 1.1.x despite frequent bug-related issues.",  ''I knew, so no.", and " No, and no, but I can deal with the bugs/I haven't really suffered from bugs so far. "

My game has a ton of visual mods which pushes it to the edge of 64-bit memory. I have a lot of VAB crashes which is pretty frustrating. I know I can go back in time, so I chose that. Voted the last option because bugs do not ruin updates for me, and the ones I do have can be dealt with, but as I said before, they are frustrating.

I've just started playing around with 1.1 (modded) and haven't had the magnitude of issues I've read. But I also have an RSS/RO 1.0.5 that I'm playing frequently and probably won't update it because I don't have simple access to Internet (very rural).

The only "irritating" issues I've had with 1.1 is that sometimes the ESC key doesn't work and I have to ALT-F4 and if I buzz another craft at high speed it explodes. But other than that KSP 1.1 has been a joy.

Im getting crashes in SPH entirely.. Usually when unhooking something from a node or say rearranging engines..the 5 second silence then seeing the white light of death

Its common.. KAS/KISS helps with long well equipt trains more akin to rolling bases than transporting anything.. Thus keeping out of coupling things in the SPH

Im also not using docking ports anymore as couplings.

Trains are permanently coupled with explosive emergency coupling release

The lack of docking ports has done alot in framerate increase

14 hours ago, Skorpychan said:

No issues because I'm not running 50000 mods on a toaster.

People have reported crashes with stock alone, but you know that.

Edited by m4v

I don't "play" KSP anymore since I don't like career mode. All my time goes into designing craft and developing my mods nowadays.

Kudos for 1.1.2: I can have KSP running for 72 hours straight while I'm switching between SPH, runway and reloading the database, more than 30 times ... without a single crash! Way better than during 1.0! Rock steady both on PC and laptop running Win7x64!

Multiple KSP installs ... I have every install ready to run since 0.16, some versions are dedicated to the mod I'm developing at that moment. Amount of unique installs at this moment: 49. Harddrive space is cheap.

Edited by Azimech

16 hours ago, Skorpychan said:

No issues because I'm not running 50000 mods on a toaster.

This is a bit of a false statement- many people with issues have tested using stock, with modern machines (eg i7, lots of RAM, dedicated GFX), and across multiple OSes.

I only use the current version of KSP. I have copied 1.1.2 to another directory purely for mod testing, helps me decide if I would like to install the mod in my main game.

Even though I voted that I encounter "few" bugs affecting gameplay; the fact is that in the SPH/ VAB there are graphics issues that need to be fixed.  The line decals on the floor are black with something akin to a "moving ants" effect in white.  I saw no such problems prior to any version of 1.1.  As I am spending more time in the SPH, I don't know if the lock up bug still would present itself in the VAB; but I suppose there should be no difference as far as those environments are concerned.

I had 1.1.x installed at one point, but it was unplayable in the sense that half the textures and buttons were not visible.

I got a video card, and then after trying to run 1.1.x, things went rapidly downhill and I ended up formatting the HDD and reinstalling.  So 1.1.x is currently not installed on my system.

I currently have 6 KSP installs.

• My previous 1.0.5 game safely stashed away with all its mods.  I can play it if I want to, but I don't.
  • Totally clean, totally stock 1.1.2 with Steam.  Haven't touched it since KSP updated to 1.1.2, other than to make copies of it.
  • Totally clean, totally stock 1.1.2 as a separate installation.  When the Steam installation updates to 1.1.3, I'll have this to compare it to.  Until then, I'm not using this at all, except to copy it to make new 1.1.2 installations that I then put mods in.
  • A 1.1.2 installation with what I consider essential mods (MJ, RCS Build Aid, HyperEdit, and such things) where I test individual mods in isolation.  
  • A 1.1.2 installation as above but also with kOS, where I write/test Kerboscript programs
  • A 1.1.2 installation with all the mods I want to actually play with, which is a lot.  EVE, Kerbinside, lots of Kopernicus stuff, plus plenty of parts  mods, you name it.  Here I design ships to use in the future once the state of KSP settles down somewhat.

I spend the bulk of my time in the heavily modded game.  I have been updated the mods as they come out ever since 1.1.2 came out, and the stability of this game has greatly increased.  It's to the point now that I would consider it totally playable long-term, except for Scatterer, which still induces frequent crashes for me.  But I have hopes that will change in time.  So for now about the only mod NOT in this game is Scatterer.

But despite 1.1.2 being stable for me, I'm not going to do anything but prepare for the future with it.  I don't see myself investing any time into building up a space empire until after 1.2 (and whatever hotfixes it will need).  This isn't because of crashes but because 1.1.2's orbital decay problem makes all but the simplest missions, done 1 at a time, pretty much impossible.  Hopefully that will be fixed very soon in 1.1.3, and maybe that will also make legs and wheels work better.  But even then, I'm not going to play a real game in 1.1.3.

The reason?  Because, for reasons passing understanding, Squad is determined for ram some sort of stock RT or AR communications system down our throats.  Now mind you, I've used one of those mods in all my games for the past couple of years, but that's my own choice.  But besides my fundamental objection to making any "realism" thing stock, the introduction of a stock communications system will break a lot of saves.  It will certainly break the saves of anybody who does not at present use a communications mod--none of their stuff will be able to talk.  And it will very likely break the saves of those who DO use RT or AR at present.  Why?  Because the stock system will certainly set the ranges of the various existing stock antennae to something other than what they have in either RT or AR, will rely on new stock antenna parts for long-range relays, and will want to use a different set-up of those relays than either mod.  Thus, even those who currently use RT or AR will likely lose contact with at least some of their stuff.  So, with this disaster-in-the-making looming on the horizon, it seems pointless to try to get anything started until we know what we're dealing with.

Now, that's the poll I love. I run 1.0.5 only to record some vids and take some pics of the assets in my old save. 1.1.2 performance is too good to give up in favor of stability and 15 FPS.

Edited by Enceos

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.