[1.2.2] TWSA's Payload Adapters!

39 minutes ago, Tristonwilson12 said:

no but i can add that if you guys want

It would certainly make my game easier when making upper stages that bring themselves home. I hate making a probe core a major structural element.

In other news, this mod is now available for download via CKAN.

Continuing on from my last post:

I made a few quick models to illustrate what I'm talking about. Focus on making the parts modular and multi-purpose. For example, have SYLDA be sectioned off into multiple shorter sections so that people can stack them on top of each other depending on how big the payload inside SYLDA is. Also having a wide range of different shapes and sizes for the payload adapters (configured for TweakScale) will make your parts vastly more useful.

I threw in the stock fairing bases just to show off how they can be fit together as a cohesive pack instead one-off single-use PAFs.

2 hours ago, liquidhype said:

Continuing on from my last post:

I made a few quick models to illustrate what I'm talking about. Focus on making the parts modular and multi-purpose. For example, have SYLDA be sectioned off into multiple shorter sections so that people can stack them on top of each other depending on how big the payload inside SYLDA is. Also having a wide range of different shapes and sizes for the payload adapters (configured for TweakScale) will make your parts vastly more useful.

I threw in the stock fairing bases just to show off how they can be fit together as a cohesive pack instead one-off single-use PAFs.

thats a great tip! i will do some more modeling tonight!

58 minutes ago, OldLost said:

I don't quite get it. What's the difference between using this and just using a normal decoupler?

I find myself having the same question. So its a hollow adapter with a built-in decoupler on the top. I get that. But how exactly is it used? Does the payload go IN it or ON TOP of it? If it goes inside, does it seperate from the inside or does that require another decoupler? If it goes on top, how is that different from a normal decoupler?

I commend the work as it looks like a nice part. I just don't understand what it is used for. (not a rocket engineer irl, only in KSP :sticktongue: )

10 minutes ago, metl said:

I find myself having the same question. So its a hollow adapter with a built-in decoupler on the top. I get that. But how exactly is it used? Does the payload go IN it or ON TOP of it? If it goes inside, does it seperate from the inside or does that require another decoupler? If it goes on top, how is that different from a normal decoupler?

I commend the work as it looks like a nice part. I just don't understand what it is used for. (not a rocket engineer irl, only in KSP :sticktongue: )

So the payload adapter is basically just a decoupler that decouples from the top, but it gives the payload extra clearance from the fairing base ( good for engines on satellites and such) and also it adds that tiny bit of realism that makes the game funner in a way. in the next version i will include whats called a SYLDA, and whats that is used for is you place the normal payload adapter on the fairing base, place your payload on the adapter, then you can place the sylda (Built in segments to accommodate differnt sized payloads) on top of that payload and then you can add another payload adapter on top and place another payload, so you can basically launch multiple payloads at once :)

i hope that clears some stuff up for you

Fancy. Looking forward to seeing what this little piece of work becomes. Hopefully this will be my go-to-mod for anything payload related in the future. Good to see xxhansonmaaxx onboard as well. I'd prefer the textures to be KWrocketry/B9-alike instead of "pork"alike, as the stock/pork textures are way too cartoony for my liking, but cool nonetheless.

13 minutes ago, liquidhype said:

Fancy. Looking forward to seeing what this little piece of work becomes. Hopefully this will be my go-to-mod for anything payload related in the future. Good to see xxhansonmaaxx onboard as well. I'd prefer the textures to be KWrocketry/B9-alike instead of "pork"alike, as the stock/pork textures are way too cartoony for my liking, but cool nonetheless.

Alright I'll look into those texture types, I'm glad you like the progress so far!

Hi!

Really interesting mod :)

Have you considered making those parts procedural ones?

Would work greatly with your mod I think. (Base/tip diameter, height, wall strength, ejector force, etc...)

Less parts, more freedom in customization.

Do the sylda extensions attach to the base below or to the payload on the base? (Just curious, haven't tried yet^^)

13 hours ago, h0yer said:

Hi!

Really interesting mod :)

Have you considered making those parts procedural ones?

Would work greatly with your mod I think. (Base/tip diameter, height, wall strength, ejector force, etc...)

Less parts, more freedom in customization.

Do the sylda extensions attach to the base below or to the payload on the base? (Just curiouhs, haven't tried yet^^)

I haven't ventured into procedural parts yet so I don't know, and the SYLDA will attach to the base below it

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.