My farewell to Kerbal Space Program

HarvesteR

I don't post much on the forums anymore, but I wanted to here. Because if there was even the slightest chance you read this Felipe I want you to know something.

I only realized this just recently. But your story, your passion and the succes of Kerbal Space Program have convinced me to persue a career in games aswell. You have showed me that by being passionate, working hard, being brave and dare to jump into the deep end, that you can make your dreams come true. 

I remember the first time I played KSP, I was at a lan party and a friend of mine showed me this game where he was launching rockets. I thought to myself "oh well that looks cool". But then he showed me that he actually built all the craft he launched himself, he showed me how he put them together, how you have to take into account the weight, the thrust of each engine at diffrent alttitudes and all this cool engineering stuff. Then I thought "This is brilliant! Why hasn't anyone ever thought of this before!"

I immediatly recognized the potential of the game, especially when I discovered the amazing community and all the awesome modding people where doing. That was version 0.13 of the game (April of 2011 if I remember correctly). But even I woulnd't have dared to dream that KSP could become what it is today.

Ofcourse I didn't hesitate to buy the game, and I got envolved in the community, watching the livestreams, posting threads and suggesting new things to developers and modders alike. It is the very definition of what makes games great in my opinion. And the story of you and Squad is one for the history books. It made me realize that it is what I want to do aswell, I want to create my own succes story and have such an amazing community backing my game. 

So, besides making one heck of an amazing game, I want to thank you for inspiring me, and many others.

And that is a testomony to how far this game has come, and its all because of you sir. And for that I salute you. 

I want wish you many more awesome adventures as a game developer and I'm already looking forward to what you will come up with next. 

Edited by CyclonicTuna

It's been nice having you here for the past 5 years. It's been nice finding this game 2 years ago, and having it now, as of January 24th,2016, I'm glad you made this game. I was making a decision, it was either this game or Universe Sandbox 2.

But I knew I needed this game.

That is why I came here.

Wow, thats a suprise...

When i think about how many people KSP have inspired (including me), i wonder if the first human on mars/whatever is asked how he got into spaceflight and will answer "Kerbal Space Program". There are not many people which have/had such an influence on the world.

Thank you for a great game, not only did KSP get me into Space and its endless possibilities. KSP also brought me into coding, if it was not for KSP I wouldn't know space or how to code, KSP gave me the motivation for both.

- Mission Controller Developer.

Thank you so much for this game.  It was the first PC game that I really liked enough to buy, such an amazing game.

I have kept every release of the game since .90 when I first started playing it (Demo doesn't count).

Such a great window to another world which mirrors our own in many ways, a window I often gaze through for many hours.

Thank you for sticking with the game through thick and thin, especially as of late.

I wish you success in your further endeavors,

Skybird0

Many thanks for having a dream about little green men, and even more thanks for create an amazing game so others can enjoy your dream.

Farewell Felipe, I hope you'll have at least the same success in your new challenges as you had with KSP.

Wow, that's unexpected! :0.0:

Are there any plans for future activities that you're willing to share, or do you just want to disappear out of the spotlight?

And at the risk of making this thread read like a broken record: Thank you for building this one-of-a-kind game.

Farewell and good luck on your next adventure. I wish you all the best.

I LOVE Squad for creating a game that so totally absorbs my mind as space and aviation has always been my deepest and happiest diversion. Since I was 5, I've been utterly facinated with flight and space. I watched the first landing on the moon as a 5 year old. I lived in Florida and visited Canaveral numerous times and watched launches of Saturn Vs and missions to the space station, KSP is not realistic, which is exactly why I like it so much. Yes, it has enough orbital mechanics and the basics of physics, but it also is just a way to relax. After a long day, a diversion to space is just what I need!!

And by the way....the wife hates KSP......because I easily get lost in space and it is hours before I find my way home.......and for that.....I thank you!!!!!

Good luck and don't be a stranger!!!!

1 minute ago, Streetwind said:

Wow, that's unexpected! :0.0:

Are there any plans for future activities that you're willing to share, or do you just want to disappear out of the spotlight?

And at the risk of making this thread read like a broken record: Thank you for building this one-of-a-kind game.

There are certainly plans for the future, but it's far too early to talk about any of that.

Fear not though, there will be new tidings soon enough. :)

Cheers

Kerbal Space Program is more than an incredible game-- it's also a launchpad for the next generation of engineers, scientists, programmers and artists, game developers. . .and maybe even writers. :)

Your dream has had a positive impact on tremendous number of people, and it is not an exaggeration to say that KSP is one of the best things to happen to spaceflight in the last twenty years. Thank you for making the world a little bit brighter, and if you ever get to a place where you think we can help, let us know.

Elon Musk may have a bit of a fan base, but then. . .so do you. :)

Tis a good game HarvesteR. A breath of fresh air in an industry usually unwilling to try something new or risky. Now go get another one started and make sure it's something just as new and risky. Cheers sir.

Well it is the end of an era. Thank you for everything you have done for the last several years developing KSP. I can honestly say that is by far the best game I have ever played and I am likely to continue playing in the years to come.

Thank you so much for this briliant game you made, it's sad to see you go. To say it's briliant is an understatement, as this has enspired me an two of my cousins to do great things. My older cousin got a carrer at NASA, and my younger cousin is taking flight school. As for me, this has teeched me that, even at the worst of times, you should never give up, and always reach for the stars. 

Thanks so much, this game has changed my life,

Ben

I am a little shocked. Not because you are leaving KSP (after more than 5 years, this kind of expected), but because you didn't mention at all what you are doing next.

Where are you going? What are you planning? Surely, you already know where you are going to. I really hope you are going in peace with the rest of the team and the project, because as I understood, things got a little tense in the last year.

I still admire your vision for KSP, and the work you put into this dream. I really hope that you are able to dream again in a similar way for another project, but with the experience you have now. Please let us know what you will be working on, so we can follow the next project as closely as this one :-)

Wow. This is one of those things that you just don't quite see coming. KSP without HarvesteR is a strange thought. 

Best of luck with whatever you head of to next! I hope you drop in from time to time.  

If you recall, ages ago, I sent a private message asking if it would be ok to do a Kerbal fanfic featuring a HarvesteR Kerbal, based on the story of how the game came to be.

I still haven't completed it, and planed to send a link  when it was done, but seeing as you're leaving.. This is it so far. 

A little tribute to KSP, and those who made it.

This game taught me so much about space, and also about computers. They way it's so modifiable, and how genuine the space travel felt, makes it a great stepping stone up to greater things. 

No other games has felt quite like KSP. That sense to adventure you get jumping down from a lander after touchdown, or watching Kerbinrise from the flats of Minmus, or driving around a space based you designed and built yourself. KSP is awesome. 

oHwqpPk.gif

That's supposed to be a 21 mainsail salute

*Salutes*

P4UtCnV.gif

See you later,  HarvesteR.

Edited by Tw1

Oh wow, didn't expect that!

Well, thank you soo much felipe! Thanks to this game, your game, I got super interested in spaceflight. I started to read through long wikipedia entries about spaceflight, orbital mechanics, physics. I started to learn how to use Blender, started to get into programming, to make my own content. I took an astrophysics class at school, and it was a great decision, I learned much more about physics than I'd have thought of, and now even my regular physics mark is very good, while it was always "ok", let's say before.

Now, I have to think of what I will do in the future, and guess what: I will study engineering once I passed my final exams, and then will try to get a job at the European Space Agency here in Germany. You pretty much changed my life, I would say. And I have to thank you so much for this and all of your work you and the team of course too put into this. And all because of this game, in which you try not to crash little green minions.

Thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.