My farewell to Kerbal Space Program

HarvesteR

Thank you very much for creating KSP, as it's become one of my fav games (with many, many hours played =)

It's definitely something that will stand the test of time, as this game is a classic.

Good luck with everything in the future =)

Reading all these comments has given me a bit of a punch in the gut. I didn't realize how loved a video game developer could become. Perhaps a few fanatics here and there, maybe enough to make a cult, but over three hundred speaking up within three days?!
And here I thought I was in some kind of minority.

Oh, and I second the motion for a monument. Harv deserves it.

Thank you for KSP. It is the best game I have ever seen, and I have probably played more hours than all other games totally.

Good luck to your next projects. I hope that whatever they are they will be as successful as KSP.

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Oh, and I second the motion for a monument. Harv deserves it.

Time for a new object around Kerbol?
 An ancient (as in: there from the beginning of time) planetoid far beyond all other planets, hovering over all of creation?

So long. And thanks for all the fun!

On 5/30/2016 at 1:05 PM, HarvesteR said:

I hope you all enjoy playing KSP as much as I enjoyed being part of its making.

For what it's worth, Felipe, I can answer this with a categorical yes. I used to have a game for the Commodore 64 about a thousand years ago that basically put you in charge of your own space program. I missed that game, and when I saw KSP on steam as an early access beta, I jumped on it. Thanks for providing me with a world for my nerdiness to live. Salute.

I will never forget KSP or what it facilitated in me learning for the rest of my life. Coupled with youtube and wikipedia (and countless old real-world rocket science webpages) KSP shone a light on something that had always been a miserable experience for me. Math! I never had anything that I cared about relating abstract mathematic principles to, and no one to offer cool things that the numbers could correlate to. I later found myself calculating real world fuel and rocket efficiencies. I forced myself to do my first moon landing / docking mission manually, pre-planned on pen and paper. I built many space stations throughout development of KSP prior to release after that first success was behind me. And through my new passion for space I saw the International Space Station pass overhead one evening for the first time in my life and it broke me in the best way to have experienced just a little of the magic we're capable of through this obtuse tool of numbers and math.

I honestly don't think I would've ever become as interested in space, orbital mechanics, and rocket science like I have since discovering KSP.

I remember mentioning on facebook how much I hated math in school and what a nightmare it was for my family when math homework came home with me from school, and Felipe mentioning he'd had very similar experience in school. It turns out that many of us who thought we were just terrible at math in general just needed to find the right way to relate to the values and interactions and can actually be really good at particular calculations. I don't know if I can ever fully express my appreciation for what the KSP team (new additions sourced from the community and old founding members) has given me. In a way, it gave me a new lease on an area of higher learning. It's right up there with the rudimentary electronic engineering practice of MC, or the computer aided drafting practice in Doom2 level editors.

But I'll wrap this message of well wishes upon your departure from the project up with this...
Thank you so very much!
Rest well knowing KSP sits in an all-time hall of fame for fun yet educational gaming experiences
I hope your new interests are met with all the exciting fulfillment of players' first orbital docking. :D

39 minutes ago, DChurchill said:

For what it's worth, Felipe, I can answer this with a categorical yes. I used to have a game for the Commodore 64 about a thousand years ago that basically put you in charge of your own space program. I missed that game, and when I saw KSP on steam as an early access beta, I jumped on it. Thanks for providing me with a world for my nerdiness to live. Salute.

I feel the EXACT same.:wink:

Edited by Edlu Kerman
I wanted to add an emojji.

This must have been one of the hardest decisions you have made in life. To start Life (napkin game) and then guiding it throughout its lifetime to the point that you wanted it. 

Then releasing it into the wild as a grown up, believing it will continue and maybe even surpass what path you had in mind for it.

I salute you dear SIR. It take a lot of b*lls (guts) to be able to make that decision.

All the best in your future endeavours.

Thank you for the amazing experience you brought me. The last time I had this much fun in a game was when I was 4 years old and i just got my hands on Police Quest 1.

Kerbal Space Program will always have a special place in the hart of many an astronaut that didn't have the luck or possibilities to become a real one.

Kerbal Space Program is a game that will live on to go into the history of man (well of me at least).

Bye. With hope that you enjoy the fruits of your labour!

Thank you Felipe.

This game helped reignite my interest in real space travel and convince me to pursue a degree in Physics. It taught me many new things and made others clear in an intuitive way. It filled a niche almost no-one knew existed and a need I didn't know I had. I've been playing since at least 0.8.5 (I think I played the initial release but I lost the files) and have lost countless hours to this game. I've seen it grow from a basic demo which reminded me of the Top Gear Rocket Robin game to to an amazing, highly moddable and (nearly) complete simulator. It's safe to say this is one of my most favourite games.

You have my endless gratitude and I wish you all the best in the future.

Goodbye @HarvesteR.

Edited by Trigger1112

@HarvesteR, thank you for all the time and effort that you have put into this truly amazing game. It's changed the lives of a lot of people, me included, by introducing countless more to the beauty and intricacy of space travel. For that, we all owe you a colossal debt.

Thank you.

@HarvesteRYou still going to be around these forums, though? It's nice having you here.

Anyway, thank you for all that you did, for the hundreds of people that got an interest in space travel because of KSP, and for the fun game that it is. When I first opened the game in 2012, I thought all it had to offer were a couple of fuel tanks, a couple of engines, and a pod. Now, after opening it again years later, I see this has gone a long (LONG) way. Multiple projects (kerbalstuff, lazor system, etc) have risen to huge levels and fell with time. Mods appeared to make this game more advanced. In fact, thanks to @NathanKell, I have my own dreams of becoming an aerospace engineer (haha, In my dreams). The KSP community is the only community I know that respects my interests in space, and actually wants to discuss about it.

Thank you, HarvesteR.

Felipe should be the name of the star when a second star system gets implemented. Or maybe a very far out gas giant with two little stars and one or two habitable moons...

@Felipe Thank you for this gem and may you always remember the ride!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.