HarvesteR Easter Egg

theJesuit

On 6/15/2016 at 0:56 PM, klesh said:

I'd like to see a classy plaque for him at the KSC.  

I would also like to see that OG kerbal sketch he made be turned into a texture on some plaque at a far off location.  

Ooh! A crashed Voyager probe at the south pole!

A lot of people have suggested putting a statue of HarvesteR on the mountains to the west of the KSC. However... It seems much more fitting (to me at least) to put a monument on top of Eve's highest peak. You know, the one at -25.0159, -158.4558. After all, Eve is the hardest body to land and return from. The greatest challenge, so to speak. And is the greatest achievement not a fitting tribute to the man who started it all?

Although the monument should probably not be RIGHT on top of the peak. I still need to be able to land there. :P Come to think of it, I remember there being a convenient cliff on that mountain. Perfect to a Rushmore-esque monument, as several others have suggested.

On 06/07/2016 at 6:14 AM, IncongruousGoat said:

A lot of people have suggested putting a statue of HarvesteR on the mountains to the west of the KSC. However... It seems much more fitting (to me at least) to put a monument on top of Eve's highest peak. You know, the one at -25.0159, -158.4558. After all, Eve is the hardest body to land and return from. The greatest challenge, so to speak. And is the greatest achievement not a fitting tribute to the man who started it all?

Although the monument should probably not be RIGHT on top of the peak. I still need to be able to land there. :P Come to think of it, I remember there being a convenient cliff on that mountain. Perfect to a Rushmore-esque monument, as several others have suggested.

If you really wanted the most obscure location, it should be at the bottom of Eve's deepest ocean trench. THAT would be hard to get to.

But that sort of defeats the point. HarvesteR didn't make KSP only for the uber-hardcore spacefarers, he made it accessible to everyone. Having a monument near KSC puts everybody in mind of him whenever they play, not just when they're experienced interplanetary players gearing up for the big finale. Only a small fraction of players ever leave the Kerbin system anyway.

To honour him, it would need to be in a place where it could be seen....

I suggest... a Statue like this one...

WQWis8y.png

BUT have it on the hill (mountain?) on the runway island.... that way... you can land there to pay homage... and leave a sacrifice... say... Jeb tied up against the control tower...

And maybe .... have a nuke reactor there that you can turn on which will activate lights to light the monument up... and with luck, it can be seen from orbit.

Yes.... I like this idea and I like my idea as well. Lets keep the dream alive.....

EDIT: Who remembers the STAR TREK first contact movie.... Remember the inventor of the warp drive had a monument built... 30 meters tall and with his arm stretched out towards the sky?? I forget his name... sorry, dementia strikes again. We need to honour the REAL heroes among us....

Edited by kiwi1960

If you stuck it on one of the mountaintops west of KSC it'd be dramatically silhouetted every evening, and you'd fly close on reentry back. I'd have it facing west, I think.

Is that a publically obtainable mesh btw? seen it around for a while but never knew it's origin.

4 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

If you stuck it on one of the mountaintops west of KSC it'd be dramatically silhouetted every evening, and you'd fly close on reentry back. I'd have it facing west, I think.

Is that a publically obtainable mesh btw? seen it around for a while but never knew it's origin.

If you stuck in on one of the mountaintops west of KSC I'd be worried that people would crash into it on reentry. Not that this would be a bad thing, mind.

That's not a mesh, though; it's a craft, composed entirely of stock parts.

On 7/10/2016 at 10:54 PM, kiwi1960 said:

WQWis8y.png

BUT have it on the hill (mountain?) on the runway island.... that way... you can land there to pay homage... and leave a sacrifice... say... Jeb tied up against the control tower...

And maybe .... have a nuke reactor there that you can turn on which will activate lights to light the monument up... and with luck, it can be seen from orbit.

Yes.... I like this idea and I like my idea as well. Lets keep the dream alive.....

EDIT: Who remembers the STAR TREK first contact movie.... Remember the inventor of the warp drive had a monument built... 30 meters tall and with his arm stretched out towards the sky?? I forget his name... sorry, dementia strikes again. We need to honour the REAL heroes among us....

send download plz i want it in my ksp game Love it!:wink::cool::wink: 

On 10.7.2016 at 0:54 PM, kiwi1960 said:

WQWis8y.png

OMG! This is awesome! Well made, sir!

• 2 weeks later...

There should be a planet added called HarvesteR but it was never made. Maybe make it come to life. And put a statue of him on the planet.

Edited by NSEP

• 2 weeks later...

Naming a new moon of Jool (if they ever add more- after all Jupiter has TONS of moons... or better yet, a moon of Gas Giant 2- if they ever implement it!) after HarvestR sounds like a good udea to me.  Instead of a silly monument nobody will ever find, why not a whole moon?!   :)

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎05 at 10:08 PM, Northstar1989 said:

Naming a new moon of Jool (if they ever add more- after all Jupiter has TONS of moons... or better yet, a moon of Gas Giant 2- if they ever implement it!) after HarvestR sounds like a good udea to me.  Instead of a silly monument nobody will ever find, why not a whole moon?!   :)

Regards,

Northstar

I like this... Naming one of the next planet/moon "Harvester" (Or dedicating some easter egg on it).

Maybe a Komet like Halley's Comet.  The HarvesteR comet which goes from one end of the Kerbol system to near the sun.

I'm game with just about anything.  I like the gesture and support the motion.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd definitely like to see a tribute of some kind...

On 8/10/2016 at 11:20 PM, Francois424 said:

Maybe a Komet like Halley's Comet.  The HarvesteR comet which goes from one end of the Kerbol system to near the sun.

Very much like that idea. Now that 64bit is a thing, the amount of celestial bodies *could* go up... though I suspect that the KSP team won't do it because they don't want to alienate anyone still using the more limited 32-bit build. I believe it was previously stated by a dev that the game is already near the limit of stability with the current amount.

Edited by Justicier

6 hours ago, MalfunctionM1Ke said:

A new Gas-Giant would be great.... with a moon for every dev that ever worked on the Project.

2 birds with one stone :wink:

Hmmmm. 

A gas giant called Harvester.  Then every Dev gets to make their own moon, with new starters doing one before they qualify for their first paycheck. 

Awesome,  new moons for most new version releases from now on it is then :cool:

8 hours ago, pandaman said:

Hmmmm. 

A gas giant called Harvester.  Then every Dev gets to make their own moon, with new starters doing one before they qualify for their first paycheck. 

Awesome,  new moons for most new version releases from now on it is then :cool:

Dangit, out of likes already! That sounds like a fabulous idea, and I second it.

On 7/3/2016 at 5:57 PM, RocketSquid said:

Place a trio of statues: Kerbin, Laythe, and Eeloo.

Kerbin to remind us where we began.

Laythe to show that amazing things can be found in strange places.

Eeloo to mark just how far we've gotten.

I ran out of likes, but this is a great idea. Seconded.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, SingABrightSong said:

Looks like there is indeed a HarvesteR Easter Egg in 1.2! One of the DSN antennas is the "Harvester Massif"

Darn you, I just spotted this and was about to write it here...

Screenshot below (don't look if you don't want to see where it is):

Spoiler

Fk4fMlG.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.