The children between worlds <Revived>

Spaceception

Just now, Spaceception said:

Do you know any forum members who might know?

No. The Internet in general might have something. I did some research myself but I couldn't find much. What I found used temperature.

I was looking for speed of sound calculations. That can sometimes be a good ballpark for when Max Q happens. But Max Q depends on a lot of things. It changes with the density of the atmosphere. But the rocket is also accelerating. So it's going faster and faster at a faster pace than the density is decreasing. 

The Kaman line is based on lift. I don't know the airfoil they used to calculate the line.

Just now, Bill Phil said:

No. The Internet in general might have something. I did some research myself but I couldn't find much. What I found used temperature.

I was looking for speed of sound calculations. That can sometimes be a good ballpark for when Max Q happens. But Max Q depends on a lot of things. It changes with the density of the atmosphere. But the rocket is also accelerating. So it's going faster and faster at a faster pace than the density is decreasing. 

The Kaman line is based on lift. I don't know the airfoil they used to calculate the line.

I don't think I'll be able to find anything :P

Do you think it's a good guess to say that MaxQ is 14 km, and the Karman line is 80 km?

Just now, Spaceception said:

I don't think I'll be able to find anything :P

Do you think it's a good guess to say that MaxQ is 14 km, and the Karman line is 80 km?

Max Q occurs at a certain speed and altitude, and isn't the same for every flight.

What's the moon's radius?

So it has about 1.2 gees at the surface. 

Why do you need the Karman line @Spaceception

Wait, what? I saw it at .8 gees, not 1.2, the Moon has a mass of 43 of our Moons.

Because when the space faring civilization goes into space, I'll need the number, so I know what the lowest possible orbit to be in.

9 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Wait, what? I saw it at .8 gees, not 1.2, the Moon has a mass of 43 of our Moons.

Because when the space faring civilization goes into space, I'll need the number, so I know what the lowest possible orbit to be in.

If it had .8 gees the radius would be the same as Earth's. The less the radius the greater the Gravity at the surface. 0.8 earth masses over the amount of earth radii squared gives a multiple of earth's gravity. In this case it's 1.2 gees.

If it had .8 gees the radius would be the same as Earth's. The less the radius the greater the Gravity at the surface. 0.8 earth masses over the amount of earth radii squared gives a multiple of earth's gravity. In this case it's 1.2 gees.

Okay, then I guess its radius is the same as Earth's.

The Karman line isn't really necessary. Literary description, qualitative description, can be superior to quantitative description. You need a mix of the two.

Something like " the lowest possible orbit is at x altitude and y speed" versus "the lowest possible orbit is actually very close to the surface relative to the distance between plajets. Even so, the speed at which they travel is quite large."

If you actually need it, just go with 100km. 

2 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

The Karman line isn't really necessary. Literary description, qualitative description, can be superior to quantitative description. You need a mix of the two.

Something like " the lowest possible orbit is at x altitude and y speed" versus "the lowest possible orbit is actually very close to the surface relative to the distance between plajets. Even so, the speed at which they travel is quite large."

If you actually need it, just go with 100km. 

Okay :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Progress update!!!

While I haven't written much due to writers block and moving, I've now got a HUGE amount of good ideas (Check the sci/space section soon, I need something answered) Also, sadly, Genesis is delayed to early/mid next year when I've made much more progress on The Void and this.

Also, the length of The Void will be similar to The Prisoner of Azkaban, while this will be between that and the Goblet of Fire, probably closer to the length of Goblet of fire :))

1 minute ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

Good to know you're still working with The Void and this, I like the concept. Can't wait to read them! :)

Don't worry, I haven't given up, just remember, there's times when I don't have internet, so even if I finish some chapters, it'll be awhile till I get them here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.