The children between worlds <Revived>

Spaceception

4 hours ago, daniel l. said:

I was wondering, @Spaceception, do you use a specific computer for writing? Or just your personal device. I'm asking because I just got myself an older laptop with a real honest-to-goodness mechanical keyboard. I plan to use it for my writing stuff, as it provides a totally distraction-free environment while being portable. You might wanna try it yourself if you haven't already, old Thinkpads (the best brand IMO) can be bought on eBay for less than $70.

No, just my laptop. It's an ideapad.

3 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Wait...So what is this exactly? 

A novel I'm writing. It kinda died a couple years ago, because I got stuck (and busy), and I wasn't sure if it'd be any good. Plus I made the mistake of showing my first drafts :blush: I'm not stuck yet though, just busy. And I'm pushing to finish the 1st draft around December so I can begin Infiitum again.

It's not KSP related, it's a novel I intend to publish and everything.

• 2 months later...

So that "Update every week" didn't exactly work out. But I've got good news, neutral news, and semi-bad news.

The good news is, I'm working on the last chapter. I have a lot of ideas on the worldbuilding, plot, and character aspects, and I'll be spending the rest of the month polishing that. And possibly some of March as well.

Neutral news, I've really underwritten. Not really a bad thing, but I need to write a lot to really flesh it out. It'll probably be less than 35k words when the last chapter is finished, and I'll need to cut 11k off the bat because the plotlines involved aren't needed at all in my new ideas. :mellow:

Semi-bad news is that it'll probably take a while to write the 2nd draft, due to how much it'll need to be expanded. Or it could take until the end of March, who knows. But my writing is pretty sporadic. For two weeks it's like I could write a novel with the snap of my fingers; but then after that, I lose all that steam. So we'll see. I did put together a playlist of videos I'll be watching for ideas, and tips too.

To show progress, after I finish the 2nd draft's 1st page, I'll post that, and my 1st draft's 1st page to compare, and show progress. As well with the 3rd, 4th, etc (Hopefully not too many) drafts.

Finally, I'm short of ideas. How would aliens communicate/show time passing? They can't use minutes, hours, weeks, etc. A friend gave suggestions and ideas, like mentioning about how if they're nocturnal, their concept of "day" and "night" is different. And orbital resonance's with the Moons could add to how they explain time passing, etc. But I'm not sure how that'll all work out yet. But I do need more ideas, plus names. It gets really repetitive saying "a few moments passed" or "some time later" all the time :)

And, I'm done! It was kinda rushed, and I don't think anyone wants to see it now, but it's a rough template of a novel. I got some ideas on how to explain time in the series. Maybe not a great system, but it has to be better than using human units.

But yeah, in the last few chapters or so, I shoehorned in ideas I wanted to do, so it's a mess. Then a couple of characters, and their POV chapters are useless, so I'll cut that out, and then I need to reshuffle the chapters into where they should be, tear stuff out, and rewrite it. For now though, I'm going to focus on worldbuilding, and plot revisions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.