How To REALLY Get Angry At Space Science Deniers

NeoMorph

I saw this too. Its soo sad.

I want to see what a flat earth model of solar system looks like, cuz I can't even imagine one that makes sense.

I mean, if its daytime and you call someone in Africa or china or something and its nighttime....that's only possible if the planet were round. If it were flat, it would have to be daytime everywhere or nighttime everywhere.

Some comments have been removed from this thread. Please leave politics and criticisms of nationalities for other places on the internet, as that sort of thing invariable causes problems here, which is why we have a forum rule about it (2.2.b). 

1 hour ago, Slam_Jones said:

I've always wanted a Flat-Earther to go to the edge of the Earth and take a picture, showing where it stops.  Surely it can't be that hard, right?

One of the main reasons why the hollow earth theory is far superior.

1 hour ago, Slam_Jones said:

I've always wanted a Flat-Earther to go to the edge of the Earth and take a picture, showing where it stops.  Surely it can't be that hard, right?

That guy is a believer, not a scientist. He wouldn't even listen. Actually, it's impossible to convince a believer with arguments, he'd rather convince a scientist (educated to think about alternatives) than vice versa. You can stand him up at the rim of grand canyon and he'll proclamate that this is the edge. The other side ? Doesn't exist !

1 hour ago, EliasDanger said:

I want to see what a flat earth model of solar system looks like, cuz I can't even imagine one that makes sense.

I mean, if its daytime and you call someone in Africa or china or something and its nighttime....that's only possible if the planet were round. If it were flat, it would have to be daytime everywhere or nighttime everywhere.

In his world there (probably) is no solar system. That's all garbage, invented to distract "us" so that "they" can easier take over the (chubby :-)) world.

A few days weeks ago an elder lady tried to convince me that the ptolemaic view is the right one and the earth is in the middle and one day soon we'll all see. I tried to explain that Ptolemaeus didn't work well, discarded obvious data which didn't fit and encouraged his pupils to do the same. A no go even for the times at the end of the antique world, when 400 years earlier Eratosthenes already had accurately calculated the earths circumference.  And that Ptolemaeus view mainly came to some sort of an "official view" after the end of the middle ages to strengthen the church's position against all those newfangled stuff like Kepler, Kopernicus and so on ;-)

But she wouldn't even listen.

There is no way to convince a believer :-)

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

Some comments have been removed from this thread. Please leave politics and criticisms of nationalities for other places on the internet, as that sort of thing invariable causes problems here, which is why we have a forum rule about it (2.2.b). 

Was nothing political about it... only that I now understood why it happened. Plus this forum title says " Off-duty chatter on any topic except KSP ".

Edited by NeoMorph

36 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

One of the main reasons why the hollow earth theory is far superior.

The Hollow Earth theory is quite doubtful.
If the Earth is hollow, what should the elephants (carrying the Earth) stay on?

1 minute ago, kerbiloid said:

The Hollow Earth theory is quite doubtful.
If the Earth is hollow, what should the elephants (carrying the Earth) stay on?

Elephants are a myth, nothing but government propaganda. I supposedly rode on one once, but I'm pretty sure it was two zebras in an overcoat.

As for the Earth, under the ground is just an infinite universe of solid rock, obviously, thats all you find if you dig down. If the Earth was a ball, or a sheet, then you'd be able to dig right through it but no one ever has because the universe is solid rock outside of the hollow Earth.

Hmmmm.... If the ISS is a lie and nobody has ever been to space then I would so love to ask the guy what is the definition of a religious astronaut like Buzz Aldrin is.

Plus all those rockets fired off... where the heck did they go? And how does GPS work. Oooh... I know... Scientists worked out how to log into God's Positioning System.

I don't know anyone who claims to believe that the sun goes around the earth, or that the earth is flat, etc.  I know a lot of people and they come from a variety of world views (political, religious [and not], economical, cultural, etc.) but none claim that space programs are bogus or that we can't fly through space to other planets and moons.  I'm confident that the conspiracy You Tubers/ Potatoes out there just want your attention.  They sure don't get mine.

That said, if I ever become aware of anyone like that, I'll refer them to these forums.

The Flat Earth Society was a student exercise in humor, and most likely still is.

An exercise to be different, not believe and to challenge everything that you are fed via the media, and or propaganda.

This is what it's all about and nothing more... if you cannot see this and get upset by these things, they've exposed you as a sheep of the world.

Quiet humorous actually... see it for what it is

:-)

Yes, that has a religious touch. Flat earthers or earth centrics are harmless and not as numerous as the evolution deniers and intelligent designers. They should have our attention cause they try to influence education.

Hope that's not too political ...

Edited by Green Baron

@EliasDanger I've seen people saying this happens because the sun is a "spot light" so it only illuminates direct beneath it. Or some craziness like this:

timelapse_of_the_sun_proves_flat_earth__

Crazy people man, crazy people. (or just some trolls)

@ColKlonk Yeah, but I'm sure that there are some followers that strongly believe this to be true.

Edited by VaPaL

Why do you even bother? If you start getting worked up about every misguided opinion out there, you will die having done nothing else.

duty_calls.png

What do you want me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!

Edited by Camacha

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of conspiracy-whistleblowing youtubers don't actually believe any of the nonsense they spout. However, it gets them millions of views and they rake in the ad income every month. The whackier, the more views and the less they actually have to do every day to earn their 6pm martini on the porch, watching the believers start trickling home from work...

On 03/06/2016 at 8:47 AM, ColKlonk said:

The Flat Earth Society was a student exercise in humor, and most likely still is.

An exercise to be different, not believe and to challenge everything that you are fed via the media, and or propaganda.

This is what it's all about and nothing more... if you cannot see this and get upset by these things, they've exposed you as a sheep of the world.

Quiet humorous actually... see it for what it is

:-)

I've no idea how the Flat Earth Society started. It might well have just been a student prank. These days, it seems more like a living demonstration of Poe's Law.

"Somehow adjusts itself and comes down for a straight landing."

Uh, do you even fins bro?

Seriously, even the RCS plumes were visible at one point!

Also, explain the horizon, the reason the sun goes down, and the phases of the moon.

First the theory that we didn't even land on the moon, and now the theory that stuff that actually functions doesn't do what it's supposed to do!

Apparently grid fins aren't supposed to steer massive spacecraft efficiently, and are only good for making toast.

Oh well. Maybe we should kickstart a campaign that allows for flat earthers to have a suborbital space flight.

Edited by Astrofox

9 hours ago, Astrofox said:

Oh well. Maybe we should kickstart a campaign that allows for flat earthers to have a suborbital space flight.

Hah, that'd be pretty funny.  The sad thing being that they'd still continue to say that it is all Photoshop, or they'd just reiterate their nonsensical theory to fit more with what they'd seen.  Flat Earth believers aren't, and have never been, of any immediate or future threat to knowledge, or people, otherwise somebody would go through all the effort to prove them wrong.  But it's just the simple fact that is not a true issue, therefore nobody or conglomerate of people (NASA, ESA, etc.) are willing to go through all the effort. 

Though, one really has to wonder how such an absurd theory as this could be entertained by even the most little amount of people, let alone enough to gain media attention. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.