Supersonic plane challenge RESULTS ARE OUT!

I wanna find out who can build the best supersonic plane. This is more about creativity than achieving certain goals, but there are still a few rules.

The rules are:
- Only stock parts are allowed, I'm gonna have to ask an independent person who knows the game better than me to make sure that rule is followed.

- To qualify for this, a submitted plane must be able to fly at a speed of at least 343,2 m/s (which is the speed of sound) even at altitudes as little as 1 meter above the sea.

- Only air breathing engines are allowed to achieve level flight, VTOL aircraft are allowed to use rocket engines to achieve said VTOL but have to turn them off once enough lift is generated by the wings.

- Since planes going faster than 1000 m/s tend to heat up really quickly to the point where parts start exploding it is allowed to turn on the ignore max temperature cheat.

- Other than ignoring max temperature all cheats have to be turned off.

- Every contestant can submit up to 3 entries of different categories (experimental, functional, overkill, practical, to name a few).

- For every entry a category and a name must be provided. The category can be chosen freely without having to pick from a selection.

- For every new entry a separate post in this thread must be opened to allow likes on every single one. All information regarding a particular entry, including screenshots and videos, may be edited or replaced but must be in the same post.

- The maker of the entry that scores the highest number of likes is the winner.

- The contest will be open for entries until the 10th of June, then I will have a forum staff member close this thread and only allow likes which are finally counted and evaluated on the 31st of June.

- Pushing the own content by liking it with multiple accounts is of course considered cheating. Every contestant who is caught doing so is disqualified immediatly!

CLOSED!

All further likes will NOT count for the voting anymore!

Final results:

1. Cunjo Carl wins by a LIGHT YEAR with his Midge, scoring 14 likes

2. Followed by DoctorDavinci with his Pod Racer, which got 8 likes

3. My Supersonix Experimental Plane and my Sonicstream Thunderstorm share the third place, both with 3 likes

4. The fourth place is also divided into 2, taken by my rough remake of Anakin's Pod Racer and Scarecrow's Twingo which both scored 1 like

The other 3 submissions didn't receive a single like for whatever reason.

Edited by DualDesertEagle

Fine, if no one else does, I'm gonna kick things off.

Here comes my SXP, short for Supersonix Experimental Plane, with the category obviously being "experimental":

It features a rescues system and reaches a speed of almost mach 4, which is about 3 042 mph or 4 896 kph. So the emphasis of this design lies in speed. Hope I can get some likes for this.

A 2nd entry will definitely follow, for a third one I'm gonna have to find a nice design first.

Still no response? What's wrong about this?

Anyway, here's my second entry, a "practical" aircraft called "Sonicstream Thunderstorm". I chose the name coz the exhaust gases leave the nozzle at mach 3.9, coz they're probably loud as hell (thunder) and the plane is (not quite) lightning fast. I chose the category "practical" coz it can transport 8 passengers and of course the 2 pilots to their destination very quickly. And it's got a very nice feature in my opinion:

um... it might be hard for some of us to scrape together the time to create a good aircraft and youtube video during exams.

I'm just saying, this is a pretty specific and challenging... well, challenge. Responses might be limited.

Maybe this challenge would be best if ALL cheats must be turned off. Right now, I could just slap a few Whiplashes to a cockpit and a fuel tank or two, make it look half-decent, slap on a pair of wings and call it a day while at absoulutely insane speeds. Building an aircraft with balanced speed, agility, and heating resistance is a true challenge.

Also, if you look at the Kerbin Circumnavigator challenge thread, pretty much all the velocity entries all qualify thanks to having cruising speeds of 1300+m/s at cruising altitude. You may want to up the entry requirements.

Edited by FCISuperGuy

13 minutes ago, FCISuperGuy said:

Maybe this challenge would be best if ALL cheats must be turned off. Right now, I could just slap a few Whiplashes to a cockpit and a fuel tank or two, make it look half-decent, slap on a pair of wings and call it a day while at absoulutely insane speeds. Building an aircraft with balanced speed, agility, and heating resistance is a true challenge.

Also, if you look at the Kerbin Circumnavigator challenge thread, pretty much all the velocity entries all qualify thanks to having cruising speeds of 1300+m/s at cruising altitude. You may want to up the entry requirements.

I think u misunderstood the rules. There isn't any specific goal, neither to go fast nor to create a craft that's gonna withstand any teamperature no matter how hot it gets. It's the creative ideas (my splitting elevon airbrakes for example) that are supposed to get the contestants some likes. Winning depends on how many likes u get, so just going fast most likely won't make u win. The minimum qualifying speed is just supposed to keep ppl from posting EVERYTHING that can lift off the ground and the ignore temperature thing just takes away the restriction to heat-resistent parts and thus allows more design variations.

Also, it makes things a little easier for newer players who might not know which parts are heat resistent and which aren't.

Well at least for me the reason why I'm not doing his challenge is that there is no clear, absolute goal that I'm trying to reach (fastest, cheapest, biggest, highest etc.).

It's IMO kind of vague... I mean what should I optimize my plane for? And how can we compare 2 planes that are optimized to do totally different things?

I feel like I have no idea what to do to get a good score since score is only based on peoples opinions and not on how well/cheaply/efficiently my plane does what it is designed to do...

5 hours ago, tseitsei89 said:

Well at least for me the reason why I'm not doing his challenge is that there is no clear, absolute goal that I'm trying to reach (fastest, cheapest, biggest, highest etc.).

It's IMO kind of vague... I mean what should I optimize my plane for? And how can we compare 2 planes that are optimized to do totally different things?

I feel like I have no idea what to do to get a good score since score is only based on peoples opinions and not on how well/cheaply/efficiently my plane does what it is designed to do...

U just build something u think is cool, show all its features and then let the other users decide if they like it or not. The goal is to make the plane that scores the most likes.

Also, I've noticed in your videos that you aren't on the latest game version (v1.1.2). Shouldn't that put you into a different category since the stock parts have changed since whatever version you're using?

2 hours ago, FCISuperGuy said:

Also, I've noticed in your videos that you aren't on the latest game version (v1.1.2). Shouldn't that put you into a different category since the stock parts have changed since whatever version you're using?

That's why I said that I'd have someone who knows the game better than me check if all parts are stock parts. I don't want anyone to have to use a certain version of the game but of every version of the game only the stock parts are allowed.

The reason why I'm using an older version is that for some reason my e-mail address is rejected when I try to update.

I have a rule when playing KSP- If it makes me laugh, I have to do it. This made me cackle like a crazy person. I present!

The Midge

Edit: Going for D.D.E.'s "crazy contraptions" category if it's actually a thing ('cause this totally fits), or "experimental" if not. Thanks!

Edited by Cunjo Carl
OP requested a category

On 02/06/2016 at 1:31 AM, FCISuperGuy said:

Right now, I could just slap a few Whiplashes to a cockpit and a fuel tank or two, make it look half-decent, slap on a pair of wings and call it a day while at absoulutely insane speeds.

Yes, but you won't get any likes from it. The goal of this challenge is to get likes, and you know where likes come from? Looks, speed, agility, functionality, detail, etc. By saying "you're doing this for the likes", @DualDesertEagle is giving this challenge a simple goal to enhance creativity. In fact, I like this concept. I'm gonna think of something.

49 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Yes, but you won't get any likes from it. The goal of this challenge is to get likes, and you know where likes come from? Looks, speed, agility, functionality, detail, etc. By saying "you're doing this for the likes", @DualDesertEagle is giving this challenge a simple goal to enhance creativity. In fact, I like this concept. I'm gonna think of something.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. One of the major challenges of building hypersonic aircraft IS overcoming heating. I don't understand the point of making a challenge for high-speed aircraft while ignoring one of the main challenges of BUILDING said aircraft.

Edited by FCISuperGuy

13 minutes ago, FCISuperGuy said:

I think you misunderstood what I meant. One of the major challenges of building hypersonic aircraft IS overcoming heating. I don't understand the point of making a challenge for high-speed aircraft while ignoring one of the main challenges of BUILDING said aircraft.

The title says SUPERsonic, not HYPERsonic. And SUPERsonic is everything that goes faster than Mach 1. And as I said, I only put that in to avoid getting bombarded with EVERYTHING that flies.

4 minutes ago, DualDesertEagle said:

The title says SUPERsonic, not HYPERsonic. And SUPERsonic is everything that goes faster than Mach 1. And as I said, I only put that in to avoid getting bombarded with EVERYTHING that flies.

I know that very well, thank you. In that case, why do you even need a rule about heating? If people want to go fast, they deal with the extra heat. And how would such a rule prevent you 'getting bombarded with EVERYTHING that flies'? Would it not increase the amount of half-hearted submissions, now that heating isn't a factor?

Edited by FCISuperGuy

31 minutes ago, FCISuperGuy said:

I know that very well, thank you. In that case, why do you even need a rule about heating? If people want to go fast, they deal with the extra heat. And how would such a rule prevent you 'getting bombarded with EVERYTHING that flies'? Would it not increase the amount of half-hearted submissions, now that heating isn't a factor?

I meant the supersonic thing that's meant to somewhat limit the entries to a level that they can be looked through. And since I'm tired of the discussion about my rules, u have the choice to either accept them and take part if u want or u don't accept them and don't take part. Who's gonna stop u from tryin' to make ur plane with ignore heat switched off? I never said u HAVE to turn it on!

18 minutes ago, cantab said:

Personally I find judging a challenge by forum "likes" off-putting. I don't know if it's outright banned here, but it's the kind of thing a lot of forums *would* ban.

For what reason? I'm a member in an airsoft forum where we also had a contest that could be won by getting the most likes. So if it works, what's supposed to be so bad about it? In this case it's actually the only way to determine a winner as I'm not giving a certain goal to be achieved.

And again, I'm not forcing anyone to take part in this contest. U can accept the rules and enter or not accept the rules and not enter.

2 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Hypersonic speeds but only outside the atmosphere and using rocket engines.

I am going to assume you are talking about my entry. I went through and no it does not go hyper sonic with just the RAPIERs on closed cycle during the climb. Although it still goes supersonic (this can be seen at 47 seconds into the video). And by the way I am defining hyper sonic as mach 5

10 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

I meant the supersonic thing that's meant to somewhat limit the entries to a level that they can be looked through. And since I'm tired of the discussion about my rules, u have the choice to either accept them and take part if u want or u don't accept them and don't take part. Who's gonna stop u from tryin' to make ur plane with ignore heat switched off? I never said u HAVE to turn it on!

And again, I'm not forcing anyone to take part in this contest. U can accept the rules and enter or not accept the rules and not enter.

Very well, I will be taking part with heating turned off. However, I still think it's a bit unfair that you're on a different version with different parts (the engines have changed now). I suggest you bring up your matter with KSP support and upgrade to v1.1.2 to ensure a level playing field for all, since you're also a contestant now.

Edited by FCISuperGuy

1 hour ago, FCISuperGuy said:

Very well, I will be taking part with heating turned off. However, I still think it's a bit unfair that you're on a different version with different parts (the engines have changed now). I suggest you bring up your matter with KSP support and upgrade to v1.1.2 to ensure a level playing field for all, since you're also a contestant now.

Why is it unfair when performance isn't the main goal?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.