Supersonic plane challenge RESULTS ARE OUT!

3 minutes ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Why is it unfair when performance isn't the main goal?

It's just that you'd be in theory then allowing people to use any version they like, potentially giving them an unfair advantage. Yes, performance isn't the main goal, but it's a deciding factor in voting. The stock parts have changed quite a bit since v0.90.

Edited by FCISuperGuy

As soon as I get back on my main computer, I'll post my Eta light trainer from my Spartan Space Program series (shameless plug). 

Powered by a Wheesley turbofan, it can accelerate to Mach 1 in a minute or two. Needless to say, it was never supposed to go above Mach 1. 

Edited by DaMachinator
Spelling

57 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

Deleted post as I couldn't work out how to embed a Vimeo file.

Doesn't vimeo also give u embed links? Youtube does, that's what I know. But on youtube videos u can just put in the video URL and it converts it automatically.

And heck, if that doesn't work, just post the link, ppl who are interested in ur craft are gonna click it.

MicroSS (SuperSonic)

Entered in the CUTEST category.

ETA: Don't know what I did, but here it is.  Just a small craft that achieves supersonic flight whilst going vertical. Can also achieve 1400 m/s in level flight before the safety device cuts in.  Basically the air intake overheats and explodes, instantly shutting off the engine, which prevents further overheating and damage.  Makes it kinda difficult to get back to the airfield though.

Edited by Scarecrow

OK, I'll throw the Diamondback into the mix.  I think it qualifies.  Honestly, I'm not sure how fast it goes... I never pushed it to it's limit.  The only video I have right now is it going into orbit.  tomorrow I'll see if I can do a top speed before exploding video

If it needs a category, how about prettiest???  lol...  :D

GAXXt9t.jpg

MMgMtxa.jpg

xwARebS.jpg

The video that i will soon be uploading for this will probably break your ears. warning you in advance not to watch with earbud, headphones, or speakers at high volume. I tried listening at full volume with my headset.... no stop. pls.

*Insanity!

Edited by SpaceplaneAddict

On 6/1/2016 at 11:11 PM, DualDesertEagle said:

Another entry. Twingo

I think this one could go in the 'Quite useful' category.  I designed it to recover crews returning from space who didn't get their re-entry quite right and who didn't land back at KSC.  At altitude it can cruise at quite high speeds on low throttle settings which, given the fuel it carries, means it has quite a long range.  It's also quite easy to fly, which is a bonus.

Edited by Scarecrow

Ok, I've got some stuff to catch up with now:

23 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

It does give you embed links, I just can't work out how to include them.

ETA: Don't know what I did, but here it is.  Just a small craft that achieves supersonic flight whilst going vertical. Can also achieve 1400 m/s in level flight before the safety device cuts in.  Basically the air intake overheats and explodes, instantly shuttingoff the engine, which prevents further overheating and damage.  Makes it kinda difficult to get back to the airfield though.

[Video]

It's not quite clear if "ETA" is the name of ur craft or means something else here, so pls make that clear. Also, an acronym would be nice so everyone knows what the abbreviation means. And as said in the rules, a category must be provided. And I'm gonna have to ask for a better quality video in which u also prove that it can still go supersonic at sea level. That's 1 of the rules and they should be obeyed.

16 hours ago, Just Jim said:

OK, I'll throw the Diamondback into the mix.  I think it qualifies.  Honestly, I'm not sure how fast it goes... I never pushed it to it's limit.  The only video I have right now is it going into orbit.  tomorrow I'll see if I can do a top speed before exploding video

If it needs a category, how about prettiest???  lol...  :D

[3 pics and a video]

Here it's not clear wether it can reach the speed of sound at low altitude and as much as I like that thing I have to be fair and stick to that rule. I'll take the category tho :D

14 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

i'm sorry.

[Video]

This is my entry. Sorry for infinite electricity cheat, RAPIERS cant make power, hope it don't disqualify me.

Competing Catagory: Prettiest, up along w/ @Just Jim

*Insanity.

I'm gonna have to ask u to simply add a battery pack or solar panels and make another video. I said no other cheats than ignore heat, and for the sake of fairness I'm gonna have to stick to that. But to a craft this large a battery pack shouldn't add too much weight. Or if ur so concerned about weight, just add some of the small solar panels, the lightest ones that I know of in my version of the game have a mass of 0.005.

I like that ur craft can actually go hypersonic tho.

6 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Another entry.

I think this one could go in the 'Quite useful' category.  I designed it to recover crews returning from space who didn't get their re-entry quite right and who didn't land back at KSC.  At altitude it can cruise at quite high speeds on low throttle settings which, given the fuel it carries, means it has quite a long range.  It's also quite easy to fly, which is a bonus.

[Video]

Category's there but I don't see a name. Pls put it in.

46 minutes ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Here it's not clear whether it can reach the speed of sound at low altitude and as much as I like that thing I have to be fair and stick to that rule. I'll take the category tho :D

That's OK, I'm officially withdrawing anyway.  Not because of the Diamondback itself, but because you're basing this on number likes, and it just occurred to me I come with my own small fan base, so to speak, and I realize that wouldn't really be fair.

However, I am going to try a speed test later, just out of curiosity, to see how fast I can push it before it blows up.  :cool:

Super late submission but here is my super sonic mach 4.1 flying wing. It is a practically useless. I call it the 13 wing just because you have some awful luck if you end up on this aircraft. 

Edited by icycrash
Forgot to put the name

2 hours ago, max_creative said:

Does it have to be supersonic, or can it be hypersonic? If so, I have a new REALLY fast plane I might enter... I wonder how long it takes for the entire thing to explode from heating... MUWAHAHAHA!!!

I don't think I put up a maximum speed that u are allowed to fly at, did I? That should be answer enough.

1 hour ago, icycrash said:

[Video]

Super late submission but here is my super sonic mach 4.1 flying wing. It is a practically useless.

Name?

5 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

I'm gonna have to ask u to simply add a battery pack or solar panels and make another video

Not sure how infinite electricity gives me any sort of advantage, but ok. I'll just make an imgur album, don't wanna spam videos.

*Confusion.

Edited by SpaceplaneAddict

27 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Not sure how infinite electricity gives me any sort of advantage, but ok. I'll just make an imgur album, don't wanna spam videos.

*Confusion.

It's technically a rule violation, wether it gives u an advantage or not. So I'm just asking to make ur entry rule-compliant.

Names now added to the craft I have posted so far.

Oh, and ETA is usually taken to mean Edited To Add, when amending a post, it's not the name of that particular craft.

Edited by Scarecrow

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.