Are you a cheater??

Parv Kerman

Huh apparently I barely cheat at all.  Usually I'll magic some extra funds and science into a career, but after that it's business as usual.

Lately I've even disabled quicksaves and flight reverting on my latest Career.  Only lost two Kerbals so far... one fell out of a rescue helicopter while it careened down the side of a mountain (managed to recover the chopper and the pilots, but that poor rescue engineer didn't make it :( ) and one poofed while leaping from a rapidly-spinning plane.

Edited by Slam_Jones

12 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Cheater here.

I fly planes in KSP while never having gone to flight school or becoming a licensed pilot. I design rockets while never having formally studied rocket science (and very little physics). I fly spacecraft while not having spent a lifetime training and preparing to be an astronaut. 

I use mods to alter the gameplay experience away from the developers' vision. I hyperedit stuff around like it's on sale for 99 cents. I have mods do most of the math for me. I use autopilot when I feel like it. I quicksave and revert like it's nobody's business. I use the Alt-F12 menu relentlessly. I edit save files, cfg files and anything else I can get my grubby, cheating hands on.

Yup, I'm a straight-up cheater. And I don't feel an ounce of regret or remorse, nor do I care what people think about it.

I don't cheat in challenges though, that's just low.

I cheat because I don't use a flight computer and actually fly rockets and planes manually. I imagine myself, in great shame, walking into NASA or Space X and asking them where the joystick is so I can fly the rocket and I... I see.... the looks on their faces of utter disgust. 

Edited by Tourist

I cheat

I use Kerbal Engineer for dV calculations.

I also manually fly my craft and eyeball my transfer orbits. I know NASA doesn't do this, but they haven't even sent a manned mission beyond the moon.

My 'cheat' is hmm...

MechJeb

Alt+F12 (When desperate or rage quit)

KW Rocketry

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Kerbal Alarm Clock

...or pretty much my whole mod install :)

i revert and reload all the time when stuff goes wrong. i suppose this behavior also qualifies as cheating. also, I use mods that make the game easier. without KER mods, my rocket designs would be a lot more inefficient (ie. overengineered or underengineered).

so yeah, in a sense, I'm a cheater. and I don't care :wink:

On 5/31/2016 at 2:46 AM, kBob said:

Well I guess if it's in the Alt-F12 menu it's "cheating" I use the biome map.

If you get the mod scansat, you can find the biome map without cheating by "scanning" the planet. I like that much better :)

I get a lot of information from mods, but I don't consider it cheating. It's just information that could all be calculated in an excel spreadsheet.

I DO cheat for money/science sometimes if the reward seems stupid. Like if I do a manned mission to minmus, I'll give myself 500,000 spesos for that if I didn't have a contract for it.

Edited by Kerbonaut257

1 hour ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

If you get the mod scansat, you can find the biome map without cheating by "scanning" the planet. I like that much better :)

I get a lot of information from mods, but I don't consider it cheating. It's just information that could all be calculated in an excel spreadsheet.

I DO cheat for money/science sometimes if the reward seems stupid. Like if I do a manned mission to minmus, I'll give myself 500,000 spesos for that if I didn't have a contract for it.

That's why I put it in quotes, but cheating in a game like this is a personal definition.  I'll check out scansat if it gives more/better info than the alt-f12 biome map otherwise the biome map is the equivalent.  Certainly you'd expect some tech to become available at some point (fairly early) to map/scan the planets and moons--that would seem like a natural scientific progression and should probably be in the base game.  Really I'd like to see some improved maps in the game...but that's a different discussion.

2 hours ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

Ah, but that is a mod. You know what they say about those.

In a self-proclaimed sandbox game can there even be such a thing as cheating?

I use mods. I revert when bad stuff happens. I load quicksaves. I sometimes use hyperedit to save time and effort. So yeah, I'm a cheater.

Hard to define cheating in a single player experience, but I use mechjeb to calculate my DV in the VAB.  Once a given design has been proven (usually after 3 or so launches for example) I will use mechjeb ascent guidance to fly what I consider the grind missions in an early career.  Tourists to space, rescue from KLO etc.

Other than that I do everything by hand / eye

I define cheating mods to mods that is far more unrealistic than the game, hyperedit is obvious. 
Orion nuclear pulse engine or an nuclear powered ramjet is realistic in this setting as its real world engine design who has not been tested, same with the rapier engine. 

Alt F12 is also cheating outside of getting data you should get anyway like heat and drag information. Same with showing biomes in map, the close range ore detector give real time biome type in high orbit so its not hidden information.

has used infinite fuel a few times, however mostly to fix issues with some satelites who reset control from so they burn the wrong direction and you have to compensate. 
I use hyperedit to test designs like landers in an sandbox test game. 

• 5 weeks later...

I use F5/F9, MJ... I also have used KIS tools to rebuild the last stage of a huge manned interplanetary rocket orbiting Minmus before launching it into a suborbital flight on the Sun (you know, to be able to make it get back to Kerbin, aerobrake and so on...)

But so far the only time I considered myself 'cheating' was caused by pure desperation in career mod, when the time was reaching the end of the contract window, to rescue a female Kerbal stranded on Eve's surface. Shame on me... I used Infinite Fuel to bring her home. But her green face looked so cute that I couldn't resist the impulse to cheat... :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.