Devnote Tuesday: Looking Back to the Future

SQUAD

5 hours ago, Padishar said:

It's hard to say, though I presume there must be something.  Perhaps they behave less well when at a more "normal" size or perhaps your parts are permitting "rotation" in a different way to normal wheels.  Your wheels also don't appear to have suspension and I assume they aren't powered, both of which are likely to considerably affect the "physical" behaviour...

One question, I notice when you're turning that the wheel appears to rub on the chassis.  Does this cause friction, slowing you down in the turn?

Oh, one other thing, it might be an idea to disable the staging list fuel gauges for your "injectors".  This could give you a performance improvement (game rather than vehicle :wink:) and should avoid a lot of the horrendous flickering of the staging list...

I can give the wheels strong gyroscopes to test them, suspension is a case of manually building them ... shock dampers are a challenge.

The colliders of the wheels just go right through the chassis colliders, no friction at all. I'd like to use ferram4's "The colliders strike back" so colliders on the same craft are respected but it needs an update and a big wish is that this could be configurable per part. What you don't see is that the cylinder block is a detached entity or the pistons would fly through the sides. This makes building mechanical stuff more complex than needed, especially a transmission.

The staging list gauges are for telemetry, the ignition system has it's flaws but with stock modules it's the best I can do. I like to keep an eye on things and these gauges hit performance in a minor way. You should see resources list of the Universal Capacitor ... Big hit on performance. I think I will make it a toggle with an MM config after 0.1 is released.

22 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

If updating to Unity 5.3 with KSP 1.2 just means you'll need to update to Unity 5.4 with KSP 1.3.  Wouldn't it be best to just wait for Unity 5.4 to leave beta?

I am no developer, so I lack the knowledge about how these things actually go.

Well, first of all,

23 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Mike has started compiling a list of changes for 1.2, although it’s very uncertain at this point, pride of place is a Unity upgrade to 5.3 or 5.4

Second of all, what you suggested is the #1 best way to delay an update forever.

"Let's wait until the next version came out".

"Okay, now it's out. Let's start working."

"Aw, crud. Another new version came out while we were working."

2 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Well, first of all,

Second of all, what you suggested is the #1 best way to delay an update forever.

"Let's wait until the next version came out".

"Okay, now it's out. Let's start working."

"Aw, crud. Another new version came out while we were working."

No.  I was suggesting to wait for the update that would fix a major problem with the current game.

26 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Which I understand.  I just didn't appreciate the slippery slope argument.

Sorry, it was not intended to be "If you get one update, you will be stuck waiting forever". I read your argument as "You should always base your software on the newest possible version of your dependency, even if it means having to restart".

5.4 is available. The fact that it is a beta does not prevent the dev from using it. Let the dev choose their version, they know far better than you do the risks and benefits of each version. 

And I doubt the plan is to have 1.2 out in a couple of weeks (couple = more than 2 for those we need the precision) 

I would not get my hopes up too high for entirely new rocket parts, without clarification. "New" could refer to a "new appearance" for existing rocket parts. That's what I recall from previous devnotes: an overhaul is in the works, perhaps to help smooth out the glaring differences between the NASA style add-on parts, and everything that came before.

10 minutes ago, basic.syntax said:

I would not get my hopes up too high for entirely new rocket parts, without clarification. "New" could refer to a "new appearance" for existing rocket parts. That's what I recall from previous devnotes: an overhaul is in the works, perhaps to help smooth out the glaring differences between the NASA style add-on parts, and everything that came before.

Hopefully with consistent (per node) sizing, you can join some 'same size' parts together and get some pretty harsh shoulders/overhangs etc

Ya, 1.2 is going to be months away, which is painful to endure.  Thankfully, I just got my Oculus toy, so I should be able to keep entertained.

Now, if KSP ever let's me float alongside my spacecraft through inky space in 3D...well, I don't think I'd ever need another game.

On June 2, 2016 at 7:19 AM, beelzerob said:

Ya, 1.2 is going to be months away, which is painful to endure.  Thankfully, I just got my Oculus toy, so I should be able to keep entertained.

Now, if KSP ever let's me float alongside my spacecraft through inky space in 3D...well, I don't think I'd ever need another game.

Yeah, I don't see myself playing much other than testing during this wait, the legs issue is a shop-stopper to me.

On 6/2/2016 at 9:19 AM, beelzerob said:

Well, we have 1st person EVAs from Kerbal Tubes, and you could probably adapt that to have two cameras instead of one, and then it would just be a small display issue. This is definitely doable. I hope we get a VR mod before 1.3.

@SQUAD
If you guys are still looking for ideas.
Kerbpaint mod

Implement a feature that allows us to paint the crafts ourselves.  Rather than having the same color for each craft (mostly white) please consider the idea of letting us give more flair to our ships and craft. Let us fill the sky with reds, blues, greens, and other colors to further expand our customization options

On 5/31/2016 at 5:23 PM, Temeter said:

Well, if we can limit the crashing, then that's already a big step forward. Wheels aren't the most important things in a space sim. At least rovers do seem to work fairly well if correctly setup.

Speak for yourself mate... About 90% of my 1.0.5 crafts were rovers that no longer work. I find functional wheels pretty damn important.

2 hours ago, Andem said:

Speak for yourself mate... About 90% of my 1.0.5 crafts were rovers that no longer work. I find functional wheels pretty damn important.

Eh, you need to build and setup rovers differently, but they work ok. Aircraft gear is where we got issues.

2 hours ago, Temeter said:

Eh, you need to build and setup rovers differently, but they work ok. Aircraft gear is where we got issues.

Again, the same applies: Speak for yourself mate. All of the landing gear (excluding the early career ones) work just fine for me.

4 minutes ago, Andem said:

Again, the same applies: Speak for yourself mate. All of the landing gear (excluding the early career ones) work just fine for me.

Then you just didn't yet encounter where they go wrong. :P

I'm also able to make the landing gear work, but it's not all that fun. Especially with FAR, where you land with 70+ m/s with some planes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.