[1.4.x] Stock Launch Pad V1.0.2 (Abandoned)

sciencepanda

This mod adds a series of parts to build a custom launch pad and launch tower to fit any stock rocket.

GFQMysP.png

Download

Parts can be downloaded from here: 

SpaceDock

Read this:

The tower parts cannot be the first part. This will cause glitches, including errors in the animation, and will prevent the tower from decoupling. It is important to build the Launch Pad after building the rocket.

License

CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/

Edited by sciencepanda

When I copied the Folder into GameData Windows said that the following path is too long: GameData\Science818\Parts\Stock Pad\Tower\Umbilical\Umbilical 0.625. I think the Filename of 24051352-Shiny-metal-surface-texture-with-stippling-forming-a-random-pattern-and-sparkle-due-to-light-reflect-Stock-Photo.mbm is too long.

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

When I copied the Folder into GameData Windows said that the following path is too long: GameData\Science818\Parts\Stock Pad\Tower\Umbilical\Umbilical 0.625. I think the Filename of 24051352-Shiny-metal-surface-texture-with-stippling-forming-a-random-pattern-and-sparkle-due-to-light-reflect-Stock-Photo.mbm is too long.

I can see how that would be a problem. Easy Fix. I'll update it with a fix shortly.

41 minutes ago, sciencepanda said:

I can see how that would be a problem. Easy Fix. I'll update it with a fix shortly.

Okay, should be fixed. I changed the file name from 24051352-Shiny-metal-surface-texture-with-stippling-forming-a-random-pattern-and-sparkle-due-to-light-reflect-Stock-Photo.mbm to metal.mbm

Let me know if there are any other problems. I kind rushed this out the door, so I'm willing to guess there's at least one bug I haven't fount.

9 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

Thank you. Now it works.

Is there a chance to make Parts for 1.85-Meter-Launchers?

Yeah, that should be easy.  I can have that done soon, but I think it would be wise to focus on school instead. Few weeks till my summer starts. Making this mod gave me a good break over the holiday weekend.

Although, I'm curious. What mod adds 1.85m parts?

11 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

Looks both nostalgic and good.

Thanks. most of the parts were inspired by the Apollo Launch Umbilical Tower. However, I did try to change a few things to make it my own.

6 minutes ago, MK3424 said:

Now we only need some umbilicals and walkways.

What do you mean by umbilical? I've already added them. Walkways will be a bit more difficult.

Edited by sciencepanda

20 minutes ago, sciencepanda said:

What do you mean by umbilical? I've already added them. Walkways will be a bit more difficult.

Oh okay.. i only wonder if there gonna be bigger ones? like ones with piping and 5m versions?

Although, I'm curious. What mod adds 1.85m parts?

Sorry, I meant 1.875m.

Bluedog, Tantares, Contares, HGR adds this Parts.

Also: Can you reduce the cost of the Parts? I think 50-90k for a little Tower is a little bit too high for career-mode.

Wow... I just made my first tower and I love it... I've noticed a few things and have some ideas, please don't take this as criticism but as a stoked user that found a new toy :)

I really think you have something unique here, and a lot of people have been looking for something like this.

1.) The top arm does not move out of the way upon staging, you have to assign it to an action group.

2.) Would it be possible to have a plume dropping down from each umbilical so it looks like condensation? This would make it so awesome.

3.) Would it be possible in the future to have fuel added though the umbilicals like it supplies Ec right now? I use some mods that have LqdHydrogen with a boiloff, which means I lose LH2 while on the pad, it would be cool of the arms keep the ship topped up until it is launched.

Edited by Jimbodiah

5 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Sorry, I meant 1.875m.

Bluedog, Tantares, Contares, HGR adds this Parts.

Also: Can you reduce the cost of the Parts? I think 50-90k for a little Tower is a little bit too high for career-mode.

Yeah. I usually only use sandbox mode, so I rarely pay attention to the cost of parts. What do you think would be a reasonable price for the parts?

12 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Wow... I just made my first tower and I love it... I've noticed a few things and have some ideas, please don't take this as criticism but as a stoked user that found a new toy :)

I really think you have something unique here, and a lot of people have been looking for something like this.

1.) The top arm does not move out of the way upon staging, you have to assign it to an action group.

2.) Would it be possible to have a plume dropping down from each umbilical so it looks like condensation? This would make it so awesome.

3.) Would it be possible in the future to have fuel added though the umbilicals like it supplies Ec right now? I use some mods that have LqdHydrogen with a boiloff, which means I lose LH2 while on the pad, it would be cool of the arms keep the ship topped up until it is launched.

Okay, I like your ideas, a few things first.:

1) The Crane is meant to resemble the crane on top of the Apollo Launch Umbilical Tower, which would be retracted before launch. For that reason, the crane is not set up to be retracted by staging, but instead manually by right clicking on it and selecting "Crane Safe". Sorry for the confusion.

2) I think that would be awesome, but I'm not sure I know how I would add that. I'm good with modeling and animation, not so much with textures or particle effects.

3) Yeah, I can add the stock fuels pretty easily. I actually meant to do that but forgot. As far as LH2 and LOX, I might be able to do that. I might have to add a module manager config for that. I would also need to know what mod it is you're using, that way I can make sure the resource name is correct, and to make sure there aren't any other conflicts with the mod.

Anyway, Thanks for your support.

41 minutes ago, sciencepanda said:

1) The Crane is meant to resemble the crane on top of the Apollo Launch Umbilical Tower, which would be retracted before launch. For that reason, the crane is not set up to be retracted by staging, but instead manually by right clicking on it and selecting "Crane Safe". Sorry for the confusion.

2) I think that would be awesome, but I'm not sure I know how I would add that. I'm good with modeling and animation, not so much with textures or particle effects.

3) Yeah, I can add the stock fuels pretty easily. I actually meant to do that but forgot. As far as LH2 and LOX, I might be able to do that. I might have to add a module manager config for that. I would also need to know what mod it is you're using, that way I can make sure the resource name is correct, and to make sure there aren't any other conflicts with the mod.

1.) I can't right click the crane when on the pad, online in the VAB for some reason.

2.) I'm not familair with any of it :wink:  Maybe you can use stock plume effects somehow.

3.) There are several mods, top ones being SSTU, CryoEngines and KerbalAtomics. As far as I am aware, only LqdHydrogen has the boiloff functionality in mods, I've not seen other fuels with this mechanic. Maybe some RO guys can chime in (I only use RSS without the RO).

Thanks for making this mod!!!!

Launch of a little 1.25m Rocket. The Smoke-Parts (works fine in 1.1.2) can be found here: Spacedock

Yeah. I usually only use sandbox mode, so I rarely pay attention to the cost of parts. What do you think would be a reasonable price for the parts?

I think 500 to 1000 per Part is OK for career.

Oh my gosh, this is amazing! I love this tower, I'm going to be using it for all my manned launches (goodbye FASA tower).

I wonder if you have any plans to make other towers/umbilicals for different rockets? What you have is the approximation of Launch Complex 39, which fits really well with Kerbal Space Center. But other rockets, typically unmanned, launch without the top crane in their towers. The towers for Titan/Delta, Ariane and Atlas are pretty similar, just big bricks with the umbilicals, but Soyuz/Progress and Falcon have unique towers.

1 minute ago, jordanjay29 said:

Oh my gosh, this is amazing! I love this tower, I'm going to be using it for all my manned launches (goodbye FASA tower).

I wonder if you have any plans to make other towers/umbilicals for different rockets? What you have is the approximation of Launch Complex 39, which fits really well with Kerbal Space Center. But other rockets, typically unmanned, launch without the top crane in their towers. The towers for Titan/Delta, Ariane and Atlas are pretty similar, just big bricks with the umbilicals, but Soyuz/Progress and Falcon have unique towers.

Well the tower is made from multiple different parts, slowing you to construct the tower in whatever configuration you want. You could include the crane, or not. I am thinking of adding different umbilicals in the future. Right now the umbilicals are like what are used on Falcon or Atlas, which appear to be flexible pipes that fall away at launch. I'm thinking of adding umbilicals like the swing arms of Saturn or Delta. I may add even more in the future.

However, all this will have to wait a bit. I'm pretty busy with school the next few weeks, so any updates will have to wait until after that.

So, I'm not exactly sure if I'm doing this correctly. If I build the pad so that my rocket bell fits in the cutout (and the tail clamps can reach the tanks), I have to use part clipping and it usually winds up with my rocket disconnected from the fuel tanks. If I place the rocket above the cutout, fitting the cutout node to the rocket bell bottom node, then the tail clamps don't reach (they probably clamp as far as the game is concerned, but they're not tall enough to reach the tanks and look like they're grabbing on to air).

Offsetting won't work, either, as the pad snaps to the outer edges rather than letting me offset over the cutout. The tail clamps won't offset either. It seems like the pad needs several nodes placed further down below the cutout, so you can select which one lines up engines and tanks for clamp connections. Or the tail clamps need to be able to rise to the level of the first tank.

27 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

This is what you need to make Cryo FX if you're curious; nice tower.

Cool, thanks.

1 minute ago, jordanjay29 said:

So, I'm not exactly sure if I'm doing this correctly. If I build the pad so that my rocket bell fits in the cutout (and the tail clamps can reach the tanks), I have to use part clipping and it usually winds up with my rocket disconnected from the fuel tanks. If I place the rocket above the cutout, fitting the cutout node to the rocket bell bottom node, then the tail clamps don't reach (they probably clamp as far as the game is concerned, but they're not tall enough to reach the tanks and look like they're grabbing on to air).

Offsetting won't work, either, as the pad snaps to the outer edges rather than letting me offset over the cutout. The tail clamps won't offset either. It seems like the pad needs several nodes placed further down below the cutout, so you can select which one lines up engines and tanks for clamp connections. Or the tail clamps need to be able to rise to the level of the first tank.

Great idea, I hadn't thought of that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.