[1.4.x] Stock Launch Pad V1.0.2 (Abandoned)

sciencepanda

23 hours ago, sciencepanda said:

Yeah, that should be easy.  I can have that done soon, but I think it would be wise to focus on school instead. Few weeks till my summer starts. Making this mod gave me a good break over the holiday weekend.

Although, I'm curious. What mod adds 1.85m parts?

Thanks. most of the parts were inspired by the Apollo Launch Umbilical Tower. However, I did try to change a few things to make it my own.

What do you mean by umbilical? I've already added them. Walkways will be a bit more difficult.

Would it be difficult to make this compatible with tweak scale? That way we can have whatever size we want

On 6/2/2016 at 6:48 PM, Nhawks17 said:

Just out of curiosity, was there any reason to use .mbm files for the textures instead of .dds? 

No, you should always convert to DDS for a release, or at least, I do not know of a reason NOT to use DDS for all your files except I think flags, which work better as PNGs..?

45 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

No, you should always convert to DDS for a release, or at least, I do not know of a reason NOT to use DDS for all your files except I think flags, which work better as PNGs..?

I wanted to see if I could help with the texturing but I have no clue how to edit mbm's :confused:

On June 4, 2016 at 0:07 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Honestly, I have little experience with textures so I have no idea what's the best way to export it.

On June 2, 2016 at 6:34 PM, sp1989 said:

Would it be difficult to make this compatible with tweak scale? That way we can have whatever size we want

I can try

On June 4, 2016 at 0:53 AM, Nhawks17 said:

I wanted to see if I could help with the texturing but I have no clue how to edit mbm's :confused:

My textures are pretty basic. I have a friend who usually does textures for me but I didn't want to bother him for a project like this, he's busy workin with textures for a different project. If you want, feel free to work up some sort of texture in Photoshop and send it to me over DM. If I like it I'll apply it in the next release and make sure to give you credit for the textures.

27 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Wait, can't you just make a procedural base? Like, "base width, hole width" parameters?

I'm not sure how to do that. I could try, but it may have to wait another week. I've just got a few classes left before I graduate. Then I've got about a month and a half that I can spend modding before I leave for college We'll see how many mods I can create/update/redo in that time.

I like the idea of this mod, but the name kind of threw me off. Seems more akin to a modular launch pad. I think it has a lot of potential though in that regard. As some people have asked, making patches for tweakscale is very easy to do on ones own (I make them constantly, just need the part name), also, as pointed out, .dds would be the best way to output the texture for a variety of reasons,  one being they are more easily accessible, meaning if others wish to add textures to replace or incorporate into alternate parts, I guarantee you there will be a lot of people willing to donate their time to make this happen (me included). I think the modular route would be great, like I said, and just have:

• Base Type > Variations
  • Tower Type > Variations
  • Umbilicals > Variations
  • Crane > Variations

That's just my two cents anyways. Will be following this mod because it looks amazing and I can't wait to see where it goes!

Edited by shoe7ess

@sciencepanda this patch adds tweakscale support for your pad parts, so if the madmen like myself want to build gigantic rockets they can :)

@PART[Pad?Crane|Mast*|Stock_pad|Support|Tower?Base|Tower?Slice*|Umbilical*]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        %name = TweakScale
        %type = free
    }
}

EDIT: btw, if there is a way to have the clamps and the umbilicals to free-attach to the surface of the rocket instead of fixed lengths that would be awesome :)

Edited by JoseEduardo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2016 at 2:29 AM, The Destroyer said:

I should note that this isn't very career-friendly. Due to its extreme mass, T2/T1 launchpads cannot support it

Maybe it should be higher up on the tech tree?  I can't think of a good work around for this issue.  I absolutely love this mod though and still use it in my late career games.

If you could add fuel-pumping to the umbilicals that would be a godsend. Been trying to build a pad-launched system that would employ air-breathing engines for its lower-atmospheric stage(s) and then transition to liquid-hydrogen-burning cryo stages once the air is too thin for the scramjet to be of use. Being able to have the lower-stages' tanks kept full while the turbojets spool up would be a godsend, as would having the umbilicals replenish boil-off from the cryo stage's fuel-tanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like our guy is busy with his actual life, graduating and preparing for college. Which he really should do, considering that this is just a game :P

@ sciencepanda if you're reading this: I totally get that you'll have much less time modding - so I'm asking you up-front: would you mind if someone took over your work sooner or later?

Thank you :)

@sciencepanda What would you say the chances are of adding a retractable crew-access arm with walkway and "white-room" for manned launch-vehicles?

Also, any reactions to my suggestion of adding fuel-pumping to the umbilicals?

Also, can you please add 1.875 and 5.0 meter umbilicals and tail-masts, please?

Edited by StevieC

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation.... and also real life took priority.

On 7/15/2016 at 1:47 PM, StevieC said:

If you could add fuel-pumping to the umbilicals that would be a godsend.

Not a bad idea, I'll look into it. Really the limiting factor is both what is possible in game, and what I know how to do. I've had plenty of ideas that either the game wont support or I don't know how to do. I believe what you're suggesting is possible, just not 100% sure how to do it.

7 minutes ago, StevieC said:

@sciencepanda What would you say the chances are of adding a retractable crew-access arm with walkway and "white-room" for manned launch-vehicles?

I thought about that. Maybe I'll work on that next.

14 hours ago, sackfalte said:

Looks like our guy is busy with his actual life, graduating and preparing for college. Which he really should do, considering that this is just a game :P

@ sciencepanda if you're reading this: I totally get that you'll have much less time modding - so I'm asking you up-front: would you mind if someone took over your work sooner or later?

Thank you :)

Yes I am getting pretty busy with real life, but I have no intention of completely abandoning my projects. I enjoy modding and it gives me something to do in my down time, even though that down time may be getting more and more rare. If it ever does get to a point where I just simply don't have any time, I will probably hand it off to someone else. For now I don't see that happening any time soon, so I won't bother worrying about it until then.

For fuel pumping through the umbilicals, this should do it:

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleGenerator
	isAlwaysActive = false
	requiresAllinputs = false
	resourceThreshold = 0.001
	activateGUIName = Fuel On
	shutdownGUIName = Fuel Off
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		rate = 9
	}	
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxidizer
		rate = 11
	}
}	

Just now, Jack Wolfe said:

For fuel pumping through the umbilicals, this should do it:

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleGenerator
	isAlwaysActive = false
	requiresAllinputs = false
	resourceThreshold = 0.001
	activateGUIName = Fuel On
	shutdownGUIName = Fuel Off
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		rate = 9
	}	
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxidizer
		rate = 11
	}
}	

Might need to make that switchable to a few other fuels like Liquid Hydrogen (that's the one that really needs the option of fuel-pumping because if you don't use Nertea's special insulated tanks, it boils off)

Just now, StevieC said:

Might need to make that switchable to a few other fuels like Liquid Hydrogen (that's the one that really needs the option of fuel-pumping because if you don't use Nertea's special insulated tanks, it boils off)

Have at it, mate. This works for my needs.

3 hours ago, sciencepanda said:

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation.... and also real life took priority.

Not a bad idea, I'll look into it. Really the limiting factor is both what is possible in game, and what I know how to do. I've had plenty of ideas that either the game wont support or I don't know how to do. I believe what you're suggesting is possible, just not 100% sure how to do it.

I thought about that. Maybe I'll work on that next.

Yes I am getting pretty busy with real life, but I have no intention of completely abandoning my projects. I enjoy modding and it gives me something to do in my down time, even though that down time may be getting more and more rare. If it ever does get to a point where I just simply don't have any time, I will probably hand it off to someone else. For now I don't see that happening any time soon, so I won't bother worrying about it until then.

that... is even better :D thank you!

before I install the mod, is it RO/RSS-compatible, in that you can use RealFuels with it?

also, I'm sure this has been thought of, but the launch-clamps in RO/RSS also provide electricity, which hopefully this modular pad mod also provides.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2016 at 10:38 PM, StevieC said:

What are the odds of tail-clamps and tower-umbilicals for 1.875m and 5.0m rocket-sizes being added to this parts-pack?

On 7/28/2016 at 11:17 PM, StevieC said:

Also, any reactions to my suggestion of adding fuel-pumping to the umbilicals?

Also, can you please add 1.875 and 5.0 meter umbilicals and tail-masts, please?

On 7/15/2016 at 1:47 PM, StevieC said:

If you could add fuel-pumping to the umbilicals that would be a godsend. Been trying to build a pad-launched system that would employ air-breathing engines for its lower-atmospheric stage(s) and then transition to liquid-hydrogen-burning cryo stages once the air is too thin for the scramjet to be of use. Being able to have the lower-stages' tanks kept full while the turbojets spool up would be a godsend, as would having the umbilicals replenish boil-off from the cryo stage's fuel-tanks.

Repeatedly asking for updates to mods is rude and annoying, and also against the forum rules...

"A new rule has been added to the forum guidelines, rule 2.3f:"

2.3 Forbidden messages
 f.  Messages that repeat inquiries about updates or content from modders.

I would like to add I have been looking for launch towers, and this looks excellent, I just installed it. I can't wait to see what else you might add to this @sciencepanda. In your own good time of course. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.