[1.4.x] Stock Launch Pad V1.0.2 (Abandoned)

sciencepanda

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2016 at 11:13 AM, sciencepanda said:

Yeah. I usually only use sandbox mode, so I rarely pay attention to the cost of parts. What do you think would be a reasonable price for the parts?

I love this mod! Now this is what a launch pad should look like...

k9rr5J0.png

I had to use the stock Squad launch stability enhancers instead of the mod's tail masts as the existing four attachment points on the stock launch pad for the tail masts work fine for rockets with two or four radial boosters but not for rockets with 3 or 6 boosters. It would be nice to have the extra attachment points to allow for three and six way symmetry rockets, or perhaps the tail masts could just surface attach? But I think it looks okay for now as the Squad launch stabilizers spawn right through your stock launch pad.

Yeah. I usually only use sandbox mode, so I rarely pay attention to the cost of parts. What do you think would be a reasonable price for the parts?

I do think though that the parts are way too expensive. The pictured rocket cost $70k but the pad to fit it cost over $200k. The cost ratio is worse for smaller rockets. Given this is a wonderful, but essentially cosmetic parts pack, I would suggest you cut the part cost to $1k per rather than $15k per part. The high cost is also a problem for those of us who use Kerbal Construction time, that $200k for the pad makes for a long build time - it more than triples it in this case. Launch pads are expensive in real life, but once you build it once, it is good for dozens/hundreds of launches of compatible rockets, So bringing the price down would be reasonable from that point of view.  I'll likely build an MM config to reprice them all for myself in the meantime, so no worries. If anyone is interested, I'll share it if asked.

I should note that this isn't very career-friendly. Due to its extreme mass, T2/T1 launchpads cannot support it

Seconded. While the weights are probably realistic, they are a problem. Stock launch clamps only weigh 0.1 tons, is there any reason you couldn't drop the weights down to some minimal amount. The only reason to have realistic weights that I can think of is someone wanted to build some sort of mega crawler with a launch pad on it. Hmmm.... that could be a thing for my campaign one day.

Also the stock launch pad is barely big enough for this rocket, which is only a 2.5 size core stack with 1.25 size boosters. 5m rockets, 3,75m rockets or even this rocket with bigger boosters would not fit their exhausts into the hole in the pad. I think you could just add another stock launchpad config file scaled to double the size of this one and our largest dream rockets would be fine. I'll likely try that on the weekend or maybe try that tweakscale suggestion.

Thanks for a great mod!

• 4 months later...

Very nice!  I set up a pad with a very large KW rig and it worked just fine.  For those concerned with the cost, you can modify the files in just a few minutes.  Under ..\GameData\Science818, there are folders for Crane, Mast, Pad, Support and Tower and folders under each of those for the various sizes.  In each folder is a part.cfg file with the cost entries.  (Cost=15000)  You can change them from 15000 to whatever you feel is reasonable.  Very easy hack. :)

The only problem I had was the rocket was very wobbly unless I used stock stabilizers to hold her down.  As mentioned by somebody else, they work alongside the tower just fine. 

• 5 months later...

Before anyone asks for updates, maybe they should give these a try first... This IS just a parts mod, so barring any drastic changes caused by future versions of Unity, these SHOULD work, (also barring minor cfg tweaking), in just about any later version of KSP.

I just tried it on 1.2.2, and other than some z-fighting, and some weird staging on some parts, this seems to work fine...
Granted, it could also stand to have the textures converted to DDS... 177MB of HDD space seems quite excessive for just about a dozen parts... :P Not to mention the performance hit for non-DDS textures...

Unfortunately, unless @sciencepanda changes the license from AAR, everyone will have to make fixes and DDS conversion themselves... Unless someone wants to write a bunch of "community fixes" modulemanager patches... :P

14 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Before anyone asks for updates, maybe they should give these a try first... This IS just a parts mod, so barring any drastic changes caused by future versions of Unity, these SHOULD work, (also barring minor cfg tweaking), in just about any later version of KSP.

I just tried it on 1.2.2, and other than some z-fighting, and some weird staging on some parts, this seems to work fine...
Granted, it could also stand to have the textures converted to DDS... 177MB of HDD space seems quite excessive for just about a dozen parts... :P Not to mention the performance hit for non-DDS textures...

Unfortunately, unless @sciencepanda changes the license from AAR, everyone will have to make fixes and DDS conversion themselves... Unless someone wants to write a bunch of "community fixes" modulemanager patches... :P

And this is why I don't use or support mods which have an AAR license.

@sciencepanda could you please relax the license?

On 6/28/2017 at 11:43 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

And this is why I don't use or support mods which have an AAR license.

@sciencepanda could you please relax the license?

Perhaps now is a good time to explain why I chose that license option. The short answer is this, it was their quickest and easiest option and I was more concerned with getting the mod out to the community, I didn't feel like taking the time to research different license options. Now that this issue has been raised, I'll look into the other options and relax the licenses on all my mods. The licensing on each of my mods will be relaxed when I update them. I'll look into updating this mod, I haven't touched this one in a while, I'll see what I can change or improve.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any word on the relaxation of the license? Even if you don't feel like updating it anymore, a relaxed license would allow someone else to continue this. That is, if you don't still plan on updating.

Edited by Galileo

On 9/19/2017 at 5:00 PM, Galileo said:

Any word on the relaxation of the license? Even if you don't feel like updating it anymore, a relaxed license would allow someone else to continue this. That is, if you don't still plan on updating.

9 hours ago, Jhorriga said:

OH MY GOD

YES :0.0:

buttt

Could you make a boarding arm? It doesn't need to have crew capacity

I'll work on updates when I get the change. I'm back at college now, which means the amount of free time I have is basically zero. I'll do my best to find time to work on this sometime soon, but no promises.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This would be a great mod to work into 1.4.1/DLC, hopefully the licensee will get worked out soon. Ive been trying to figure out how to make my own launch pad to give a some realistic sequences. Then came across this.

I truly do not want to annoy you by the request. Thank you for creating this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2018 at 12:24 PM, viperwolf said:

This would be a great mod to work into 1.4.1/DLC, hopefully the licensee will get worked out soon. Ive been trying to figure out how to make my own launch pad to give a some realistic sequences. Then came across this.

I truly do not want to annoy you by the request. Thank you for creating this.

On 1/20/2018 at 9:49 PM, Galileo said:

Sorry to pester again, but do you intend to work on this anymore or do you think you can relax the licensing now so others can bring it up to speed?

Despite the fact it is outdated, this mod still works perfectly fine in 1.4.1. I have tested it myself and noticed nothing wrong with it. I mean like it should make sense as they're just meshes and configs.

14 hours ago, Dankgum said:

Despite the fact it is outdated, this mod still works perfectly fine in 1.4.1. I have tested it myself and noticed nothing wrong with it. I mean like it should make sense as they're just meshes and configs.

Thanks for letting us know, i had no idea it still worked. Appreciate it

EDIT: Problem i run into is that some of my launch engines do not have nodes. Which i cannot attach the platform to build it.

Edited by viperwolf

6 hours ago, viperwolf said:

Thanks for letting us know, i had no idea it still worked. Appreciate it

EDIT: Problem i run into is that some of my launch engines do not have nodes. Which i cannot attach the platform to build it.

Well that has to be a problem with the engine then. Are they the DLC parts?

2 hours ago, StevieC said:

One other problem is that the largest size rocket that can fit in it is 3.75m diameter. the new 5m parts from Making History won't fit, and it has no clamps or umbilicals for 1.875m size either

Someone could probably scale it up and recompile the mesh plus config.

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2018 at 1:12 AM, Dankgum said:

I did this myself a few releases back. But license is all rights reserved so while I think we can post a MM file it doesn't allow us to make new configs or parts except for personal use - no sharing! :(

Can anyone familiar with the licensing legalities confirm? 

I join the refrain - Science Panda please loosen up on the licensing or give it to a volunteet custodian temporarily until you have time to give it the TLC it deserves. I'd hate for this mod to die like many other great ones have.

Edited by EatVacuum
Clarification

2 hours ago, EatVacuum said:

I did this myself a few releases back. But license is all rights reserved so while I think we can post a MM file it doesn't allow us to make new configs or parts except for personal use - no sharing! :(

I join the refrain - Science Panda please loosen up on the licensing or give it to a volunteet custodian temporarily until you have time to give it the TLC it deserves. I'd hate for this mod to die like many other great ones have.

You can use this mod as alternative:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2018 at 3:39 PM, EatVacuum said:

And @sciencepanda has kindly changed the license to  CC BY-NC-ND 4.0.

On 3/20/2018 at 1:12 AM, Dankgum said:

Well that has to be a problem with the engine then. Are they the DLC parts?

If you were to make copies of the pad and the "mast 2.5m" part configs, and then go into each and change rescaleFactor to be 2.0, you can make two new parts that have double the dimensions of the originals. I'm pretty sure that using those two doubled parts in combination would fit a 5m vessel perfectly. Of course, the actual tower might look small on the double sized pad, or look way to tall and thin if your rocket is tall, in which case you might want to rescale the tower slices as well. 

7 minutes ago, EatVacuum said:

And @sciencepanda has kindly changed the license to  CC BY-NC-ND 4.0.

You still can’t release a derivative of the work :/ so even if anyone fixes it, or makes it better, they cannot release it publicly. Instead of ND it would need to be SA so that others can continue the mod.

I decided to play it safe, which is why I didn't offer to post config. But nothing is stopping you from making your own, if you know how.

But I'm not sure about the legalities the first part of the cc by nc-nd 4 license summary includes the statement " You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. " Which would seem to imply you can make changes. But then later it says "If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material."

So now I'm uncertain where the line falls. I tried reading the full length legalese but life is too short and it made my head hurt.

In any case, it runs fine with KSP 1.4.3 as it is in case anyone asks. And rescaling is trivial for personal use.

Edited by EatVacuum

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.