Where are the giants?

flyboy67109

Some time ago, there was talk of Squad adding some more gas giants to the system. But, even after the latest release, the planets remain essentially the same. Any news of adding more planets to the system or has that been scrapped for good? I know there are mods I could add but I'm interested if Squad is going to add any official planets.

1 hour ago, msasterisk said:

Didn't you hear? Jack killed them all.

But seriously, SQUAD said they would add GP2 years ago, but so far, nothing. Eeloo happened, but no GP2. Seems like it's been abandoned. I hope I'm wrong...

I suppose Eeloo is GP2, in a way. It was a new Trans-Joolian object added sometime after the GP2 talks. It's just tiny and features nothing interesting.

I'm afraid that at this point, SQAUD has boxed themselves into the system they have already created. Adding more now could potentially cause more upset than joy, so it's safer and more logical to just let the modders deal with it.

Just now, HoloYolo said:

People want bugs fixed so new features instead of bug fixes would upset a lot of people.

I don't think that's true -certainly it's not true of me- but more to the point that does not seem to be what Andem was saying. "SQAUD has boxed themselves into the system they have already created."

5 minutes ago, Nathair said:

How so?

Catch is- every new feature brings bugs and Squad has said before they want to continue releasing new content periodically, so only bug fixes would be against that idea. So they likely will add more content as time goes on. Bugs fixes are just a small part of a real update.

10 minutes ago, Nathair said:

How so?

5 minutes ago, Nathair said:

I don't think that's true -certainly it's not true of me- but more to the point that does not seem to be what Andem was saying. "SQAUD has boxed themselves into the system they have already created."

What I mean to say is, they have gone on for several years ignoring the planets, it is unlikely that will ever change at this point. All of their behavior regarding planets at this point has gone to the affect of "We don't care, stop asking for more pretty rocks"

As for why it might not go well, It damages the image of the system they have maintained for years, for little value. At this point, tossing in a new planet is going to do nothing other than A) Make a few people happy with a new colored rock to crash into, and B) Make nearly everyone angry by taking Dev time away from useful or more fun things like new parts, bugfixes, or mechanics. I mean, look at how upset people got over a few screenshots from the new 1.1 cutaway feature. All of that, for a silly little cosmetic detail that doesn't really add anything.

Here's the thing: Squad has gone out of their way to embrace mods in KSP. If a mod, like say Kopernicus, adds the functionality or feature that someone wants, they're not going to spend a great deal of time to reinvent the wheel. If you want gas giants in the outer system, get Kopernicus. There's a whole outer system pack for it. A good game, IMHO, is one that provides a good framework for modders to apply their talents. KSP, I believe is one of those games. You can generally have a full featured game right out of the box that will promptly be ignored after all the "stock" content is consumed, or you can have a game like Skyrim, or KSP, that has a solid framework (current crop of bugs notwithstanding) and an active and creative modding community, that people are still playing YEARS after launch.

10 minutes ago, Andem said:

Make nearly everyone angry by taking Dev time away from useful or more fun things like new parts, bugfixes, or mechanics.

From my perspective from being here two years, 1.1 is the only update with actual complaint as to features. Up until now, people seemed satisfied with every update. I personally always was and still am.

Here's a quote from KasperVld from literally 23 minutes ago:

"We want to look at the planets we have and add more reason to explore them before we look at adding new planets. After all, a new celestial body is something you'll visit once and perhaps you'll spend an hour or two getting there. New game systems should provide much more fun!"

(From a reddit Q&A)

7 minutes ago, DChurchill said:

If a mod, like say Kopernicus, adds the functionality or feature that someone wants, they're not going to spend a great deal of time to reinvent the wheel. If you want gas giants in the outer system, get Kopernicus.

That's great, right up until the mod gets abandoned or broken.

1 minute ago, teag2 said:

"We want to look at the planets we have and add more reason to explore them before we look at adding new planets. After all, a new celestial body is something you'll visit once and perhaps you'll spend an hour or two getting there. New game systems should provide much more fun!"

(From a reddit Q&A)

And there's your answer. I'd rather they work on the system rather than the content, for the above reasons. There are lots of people who provide SOLID mod content to KSP.

3 minutes ago, teag2 said:

(From a reddit Q&A)

There was a KSP AMA twenty minutes ago?!

1 minute ago, Nathair said:

That's great, right up until the mod gets abandoned or broken.

Yep. That's part of the package with mods. However, once the development of the game itself is done, like Skyrim, mods don't get broken by updates. They may get abandoned, but they're still usable.

1 minute ago, DChurchill said:

I'd rather they work on the system rather than the content

Exactly.  I'd rather have more/better things to do when I get somewhere, than more, rather nondescript, places to do not much at.

5 minutes ago, teag2 said:

(From a reddit Q&A)

This makes me happy, it's a great direction to go in next.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.