Poll - OS and Stability

Andem

OS and Stability level?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What OS do you normally use?

2. 2. How stabe (Generally) is the game for you?

• Very stable, rarely crashes.
    • Definitely a few random crashes, but few enough that the game is still playable.
    • 50/50 chance of the game spontaneously crashing without warning.
    • So many crashes, I can't really play.
    • Can't even start the game, it typically crashes whenever I load it up.
  3. 3. If you are using Windows, what version?

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

I have found that one of the causes is Adobe Updater service running in the background.

Interesting, I actually have anything Adobe installed on My computer, but I get decent amount of crashes.

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I have found that one of the causes is Adobe Updater service running in the background.

I think more to the point, Unity pokes it's fingers into places it should never be poking.

On one of the earlier builds of Windows 10, Unity 4 (that is, KSP) would make my network adapter unusable. By that I mean, no network traffic would get through while KSP was open. Why Unity... why?

On the other hand, U5 never crashes. I mean, never. WIn 10 x64 (for the poll)

Edited by severedsolo

15 minutes ago, Andem said:

Interesting, I actually have anything Adobe installed on My computer, but I get decent amount of crashes.

If true, it's likely something that it's doing, rather than the service itself.

Since there are so many different windows versions, maybe this poll might be better served by having more options for OS. I'm on windows 10, playing 64 bit. Rarely crashes (maybe twice). 1st gen core i7 930, 16 gig ram Geforce 970 GTX.

Edited by DChurchill
Added PC specs

Curiously, I had an almost perfect track record of crashless plays on pre 1.1 versions.

Perhaps in part because I almost never installed any mods and/or build humongous monsters.

Mac user here, a little behind on the OS (Mavericks)... couldn't complete the survey.  The Windows OS question is required, even though I'm not playing on a Windows box.

In any case... very stable with only a rare crash or lockup every couple of days, though my activities are rather simple.  All VAB, simple rockets currently.  Haven't docked, haven't used wheels.  I do have the SPH floor texture issue, where the lines on the floor are replaced by seemingly random (and rapidly changing) black and white patterns.

7 minutes ago, PnDB said:

Mac user here, a little behind on the OS (Mavericks)... couldn't complete the survey.  The Windows OS question is required, even though I'm not playing on a Windows box.

Try it now :D

It's unfortunate that the poll questions can't be linked. This probably makes the data sadly useless, since you can't track trends. You can't, for example, discover that Windows 8 users have the fewest crashes, Windows 10 users have the most crashes of Windows users, and Linux users have the most crashes of all, just edging out Mac users.

Those are made up examples, of course.

I'm assuming you mean 1.1.2, and in that case, It's really unstable. Half of the time it works fine, the other half ends in my hand bashing the desk.

My main 1.0.4 save is fine despite being loaded to the gills with ~140 mods; it crashes about once every harvest moon.

Edited by Mrsupersonic8

5 minutes ago, Jovus said:

It's unfortunate that the poll questions can't be linked. This probably makes the data sadly useless, since you can't track trends. You can't, for example, discover that Windows 8 users have the fewest crashes, Windows 10 users have the most crashes of Windows users, and Linux users have the most crashes of all, just edging out Mac users.

Those are made up examples, of course.

That's exactly the point of this, slightly different, poll:

Happy landings!

macbook pro late 2014.  Almost a stock install (only mechjeb for a dv calculator in the VAB).  KSP never ever crashes, bizarrely however I have the occasional failure to boot up.  This always happens when the program looks for an update to a mod (i had KAS installed for a while and chatterer) when loading and my wonky thai wifi connection fails.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.