Poll - Stability and OS

Starhawk

OS and Stability  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS do you use and how stable is the game?

• Win - Good
    • Win - Poor
    • Mac - Good
    • Mac - Poor
    • Linux - Good
    • Linux - Poor

7 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I thought @Andem's poll was interesting, but I wanted to see stability broken down by OS.

To that end, I created this slightly different version.

Happy landings!

Thank you! Maybe someone should set upp a "poll hub" for 1.1...

1 minute ago, Andem said:

Thank you! Maybe someone should set upp a "poll hub" for 1.1...

No need.  All of these polls can be broken down to one question:

Are you mad?

Just now, regex said:

No need.  All of these polls can be broken down to one question:

Are you mad?

That depends whether you mean crazy or grumpy.

My wife would say that I'm both.  :)

Happy landings!

OK, I'll add my input.  But I think if you should consider breaking down the poll further into what version of Windows.

As for myself, I'm playing on a new Dell using Windows 10, and so far I've had absolutely no crashes of any kind.  I was actually quite skeptical about buying a machine with Win 10, but these days, there isn't much choice with new machines, unless you do it yourself, and I'm too old for that.  But it's playing far better than I expected, given all the bad posts I've read, and I couldn't be happier.

Edited by Just Jim

Yeah... about 100 of these similar polls with similar results already...

The results of this poll will no doubt be the same: Around 80% of people will say game is good or quite good. 15-20% will still claim that game is almost or completely unplayable because of broken wheel/gears/landing legs or frequent crashes.

I think we already know that... no need for a new poll anymore :D But hey, whatever floats your boat 

@DChurchill but then I'd miss you!

But seriously, I find the results of these polls interesting for their own sakes. I also think they do the community a service, because it gives people a way to say 'I'm having a really shirty time with KSP at the moment' in what at least looks and feels like it's constructive, and I seriously think that's better than an endless stream of rage-threads. Equally it gives the people who think this release is amazing somewhere to express the same thing without having to start scapegoating anybody or complaining about the complainers.

Polls basically tell you how many people out there are sharing the same issues or views as you, and therefore whether you're in a small minority, a big minority, or a majority - this sort of information really helps people understand one another in a way that just reading a post about someone's individual experiences never can. It can help moderate attitudes if you can see that you're one of a very few, or if actually the number of people on the other side of a problem is much bigger than you thought.

But like I've said before, you don't have to get involved at all if polls aren't your thing, or even if you just don't fancy it this time around.

Edit: I know I stuck u up there at the top DChurchill, but this isn't sighted in on you personally :wink:

Edited by The_Rocketeer

8 minutes ago, tseitsei89 said:

But hey, whatever floats your boat 

Now there's an idea.  A poll about buoyancy!

13 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I think if you should consider breaking down the poll further into what version of Windows.

I did consider it but it gets out of control very quickly.  Kinda like the tyranny of the rocket equation.

Which version of Windoze?  Three choices of version times two choices of stability.  And there's how many versions of MacOS to consider?  And how many Linux distros, let alone versions.

Happy landings!

Edited by Starhawk

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

Now there's an idea.  A poll about buoyancy!

I did consider it but it gets out of control very quickly.  Kinda like the tyranny of the rocket equation.

Which version of Windoze?  Three choices of version times two choices of stability.  And there's how many versions of MacOS to consider?  And how many Linux distros, let alone versions.

Happy landings!

yeah, gotcha!  :wink:

1 hour ago, tseitsei89 said:

Yeah... about 100 of these similar polls with similar results already...

The results of this poll will no doubt be the same: Around 80% of people will say game is good or quite good. 15-20% will still claim that game is almost or completely unplayable because of broken wheel/gears/landing legs or frequent crashes.

I think we already know that... no need for a new poll anymore :D But hey, whatever floats your boat 

I'm not looking to start a fight here, but the language used here is kind of the field in which I got my doctorate, so:

I want to point out the language you used here, you said

80% will say the game is good or quite good.

15-20% still claim that the game is completely unplayable.

Do you doubt the legitimacy of people who have been forced to completely give up on KSP 1.1?

Is there something more trustworthy in people who say the game is perfectly fine?

Is there any reason why pleas for help are being taken less seriously than generic statements saying that there is no issue?

Again, no offense intended, but I would keep an eye out for that.

1 hour ago, The_Rocketeer said:

@DChurchill but then I'd miss you!

But seriously, I find the results of these polls interesting for their own sakes. I also think they do the community a service, because it gives people a way to say 'I'm having a really shirty time with KSP at the moment' in what at least looks and feels like it's constructive, and I seriously think that's better than an endless stream of rage-threads. Equally it gives the people who think this release is amazing somewhere to express the same thing without having to start scapegoating anybody or complaining about the complainers.

Polls basically tell you how many people out there are sharing the same issues or views as you, and therefore whether you're in a small minority, a big minority, or a majority - this sort of information really helps people understand one another in a way that just reading a post about someone's individual experiences never can. It can help moderate attitudes if you can see that you're one of a very few, or if actually the number of people on the other side of a problem is much bigger than you thought.

But like I've said before, you don't have to get involved at all if polls aren't your thing, or even if you just don't fancy it this time around.

Edit: I know I stuck u up there at the top DChurchill, but this isn't sighted in on you personally :wink:

LOL <smootch> I don't have a thin enough skin to take too much personally on a forum. No big deal. I don't have a problem with polls. I have a problem with the over-use of polls. YMMV

Stop with these polls already. The game is highly unstable for about 15% of people.

I am one of these, and I don't give a flying **** about whether we are 14.95% or 15.05%.

There is already a thread made by Claw which on its own is 100 times more useful than all of these polls combined. 1.1 has been out for a month and a half, so have the crashes/bugs. If the answer was as simple as "lol don't use windoze 10" or that kind of banter (staying polite here) we'd have figured it out long ago.

The game needs to be fixed. Polls don't help in fixing the game, just help in making people angry (see this very post for a demonstration). The End.

EDIT: and yes, I am mad.

Edited by Gaarst

1 hour ago, Gaarst said:

Stop with these polls already. The game is highly unstable for about 15% of people.

I am one of these, and I don't give a flying **** about whether we are 14.95% or 15.05%.

There is already a thread made by Claw which on its own is 100 times more useful than all of these polls combined. 1.1 has been out for a month and a half, so have the crashes/bugs. If the answer was as simple as "lol don't use windoze 10" or that kind of banter (staying polite here) we'd have figured it out long ago.

The game needs to be fixed. Polls don't help in fixing the game, just help in making people angry (see this very post for a demonstration). The End.

EDIT: and yes, I am mad.

Well, I apologize for asking a few questions in a calm and civilized manner.

--EDIT--

I can't speak for @Starhawk, but I for sure would appreciate it if you looked at the disclaimer in your sig, red it carefully, and realize that you are putting yourself into discussions you want others to stop having. After that, avoid these discussions that frusrate you so much!!!

Edited by Andem

24 minutes ago, Andem said:

Related to the actual topic... Is it possible that Steam is the problem, or at lest contributing to it?

I dunno. I have Steam, and I'm not having any problems. What I've noticed is that the higher end your system the fewer problems you have. That's the only thing I've seen and it's pretty anecdotal.

50 minutes ago, Andem said:

Related to the actual topic... Is it possible that Steam is the problem, or at lest contributing to it?

That's a no for Linux. I launch KSP without Steam more often than not.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.