[KSPedia 1.9.1+] Planet Wiki v4.1 - May 20, 2020

jandcando

On 10/6/2016 at 6:14 PM, Jiraiyah said:

can i ask for a little thing to be added to each wiki entry? the radius of each planet would be nice to have there (in Km)

thanks

I'll add that in to the right-side column idea mentioned a few posts ago. I just need to find the time to get around to that...

Planet Wiki v4 is live!

Here are the changes:

• Added informational sidebars to the right side of each page!
  • Rounded off all the "min-max distance from Kerbin" readouts to one decimal place. Those were taking up more space than they had the right to.
  • Re-arranged the layout to make room for sidebars.

You can check out the imgur album to see how the new pages look.

I will also be working on the OPM edition for this update, which will include the sidebars. This will take much longer, however.

First of all, great mod! This is what I needed for a long time!

Second, from a designer point of view, I don't really like the bold font you use (the blue one). It's like I can't really read fast because I'm more idk, it just doesn't look right compared to the other pages (stock). Only bug I can see now is that it loads not as fast as the stock pages. Maybe because of the amount of data or the image quality I have no clue. (I don't know how a .ksp file is build)

From the sidebar, I do like to help you with that to make some designs. You did a great job with putting all information on it but its not as crispy as it can be :rolleyes:

All in all, love to hear from you what you think. I sure will use this mod almost every time I play KSP :P

Edited by damonvv

9 hours ago, damonvv said:

First of all, great mod! This is what I needed for a long time!

Second, from a designer point of view, I don't really like the bold font you use (the blue one). It's like I can't really read fast because I'm more idk, it just doesn't look right compared to the other pages (stock). Only bug I can see now is that it loads not as fast as the stock pages. Maybe because of the amount of data or the image quality I have no clue. (I don't know how a .ksp file is build)

From the sidebar, I do like to help you with that to make some designs. You did a great job with putting all information on it but its not as crispy as it can be :rolleyes:

All in all, love to hear from you what you think. I sure will use this mod almost every time I play KSP :P

The blue font should be the exact same as stock, at least according to DMagic's guide at the time of me making my first pages. But I'll try playing around with different fonts.

You can absolutely help me with the sidebar design! I'm no graphic designer, so I won't be too upset if you come out with a better design. The dimensions are 365 px by 1335 px, and the smallest font size I would advise using 20 px font. I'm already cutting the readability close as it is. I can give you the .xcf (GIMP 2) files I used to make the sidebars if you'd think that would help. If you give me a nice template, I can fill out all the information without making you spend like 2 hours monotonously copy/pasting text.

EDIT: Also, one informational aspect of the sidebar that I neglected to include in my version was the different height limits for different time warp speeds. This is something that I'd love for you to include in your sidebar if it doesn't clutter too badly.

Edited by jandcando

1 minute ago, jandcando said:

The blue font should be the exact same as stock, at least according to DMagic's guide at the time of me making my first pages. But I'll try playing around with different fonts.

You can absolutely help me with the sidebar design! I'm no graphic designer, so I won't be too upset if you come out with a better design. The dimensions are 365 px by 1335 px, and the smallest font size I would advise using 20 px font. I'm already cutting the readability close as it is. I can give you the .xcf (GIMP 2) files I used to make the sidebars if you'd think that would help. If you give me a nice template, I can fill out all the information without making you spend like 2 hours monotonously copy/pasting text.

Sure I'll make something crispy :P

10 hours ago, damonvv said:

In what format would you like to see it? I'm going to make it in Photoshop but you work in Unity so I don't know how that works out. Or do you need vectors? Aka this from Unity itself. Or do you prefer .xcf files?

EDIT: What size is the total frame?

Unity takes .png files, but I would like access to the project file itself, too (whether it be photoshop, GIMP, whatever) so I can modify the sidebar you give me to expand PlanetWiki to other planets packs, like the Outer Planets Mod.

The total frame of a KSPedia page is 2048 px by 1536 px.

On 10-10-2016 at 9:56 PM, jandcando said:

EDIT: Also, one informational aspect of the sidebar that I neglected to include in my version was the different height limits for different time warp speeds. This is something that I'd love for you to include in your sidebar if it doesn't clutter too badly.

So I took some time myself to get all warp speeds ingame on any planet:

Spoiler

Kerbol

5×               3.270 km
10×             3.270 km
50×             6.540 km
100×           13.080 km
1.000×        26.160 km
10.000×      52.320 km
100.000×    65.400 km

Moho

5×               10 km
10×             10 km
50×             30 km
100×           50 km
1.000×        100 km
10.000×      200 km
100.000×    300 km

Eve

5×               90 km
10×             90 km 
50×             90 km 
100×           120 km
1.000×        240 km
10.000×      480 km
100.000×    600 km

Gilly

5×                8 km
10×              8 km
50×              8 km
100×            20 km
1.000×         40 km
10.000×       80 km
100.000×    100 km

Kerbin

5×               70 km
10×             70 km
50×             70 km
100×           120 km
1.000×        240 km
10.000×      480 km
100.000×    600 km

Mün

5×                5 km
10×              5 km
50×              10 km
100×            25 km
1 000×         50 km
10 000×      100 km
100 000×    200 km

Minmus

5×                3 km
10×              3 km
50×              6 km
100×           12 km
1.000×        24 km
10.000×      48 km
100.000×    60 km

Duna

5×               50 km
10×             50 km
50×             60 km
100×           100 km
1.000×        300 km
10.000×      600 km
100.000×    800 km

Ike

5×               5 km
10×             5 km
50×             10 km
100×           25 km
1.000×        50 km
10.000×      100 km
100.000×    200 km

Dres

5×               10 km
10×             10 km
50×             30 km
100×           50 km
1.000×        100 km
10.000×      200 km
100.000×    300 km

Jool

5×                  200 km
10×                200 km
50×                200 km
100×              200 km
1.000×           300 km
10.000×         600 km
100.000×    1.200 km

Laythe

5×               50 km
10×             50 km
50×             60 km
100×           120 km
1.000×        240 km
10.000×      480 km
100.000×    600 km

Vall

5×           24 km
10×          24 km
50×          24 km
100×         40 km
1.000×       60 km
10.000×      80 km
100.000×    100 km

Tylo

5×           30 km
10×          30 km
50×          60 km
100×        120 km
1.000×      240 km
10.000×     480 km
100.000×    600 km

Bop

5×               24 km
10×             24 km
50×             24 km
100×           40 km
1.000×        60 km
10.000×      80 km
100.000×    100 km

Pol

5×               5 km
10×             5 km
50×             5 km
100×           8 km
1.000×        12 km
10.000×      30 km
100.000×    90 km

Eeloo

5×               4 km
10×             4 km
50×             20 km
100×           30 km
1.000×        40 km
10.000×      70 km
100.000×    150 km

Now its just a way to import this into the sidebar, hopefully by the end of the day/week, need some design changes in order to get all this information in there lol. Always need more space! :rolleyes:

EDIT: One question, I see that in your planetwiki it says that a sync orbit is 3.468,69 KM high is. But my geo sync obit ingame is 2.863,035 km high. Am I missing something here?

Edited by damonvv

4 hours ago, damonvv said:

EDIT: One question, I see that in your planetwiki it says that a sync orbit is 3.468,69 KM high is. But my geo sync obit ingame is 2.863,035 km high. Am I missing something here?

That 3.468,69 km is the SMA (Semi-Major Axis), not the altitude. I felt like this piece of information was more useful because you don't have to get the apoapsis/periapsis perfect, you just have to get the SMA right which is much easier and less tedious. The satellite might wobble over the surface a little, but it will wobble around a fixed point on the surface.

3 hours ago, damonvv said:

Quick question before I export it, are those altitudes in the sidebar also SMA? If so, should I make the time warp heights SMA?

For the warp heights, use altitude, not SMA. That way it is relevant to the players. For geo sync orbit, I think it would be best to display it in terms of height and include the SMA in parenthesis or something.

Umm you remember me asking about each body's radius? the reason is that semi major axis - radius = possible sycronous orbit, that is why it would be useful to have the radius there but in version 4 i don't see it, nor in POM edition, if it's possible and you have time, either add the radius of each body, or at least add the syncronous data

thanks

14 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

Umm you remember me asking about each body's radius? the reason is that semi major axis - radius = possible sycronous orbit, that is why it would be useful to have the radius there but in version 4 i don't see it, nor in POM edition, if it's possible and you have time, either add the radius of each body, or at least add the syncronous data

thanks

I included the body radius in at the bottom of the new sidebars. Sorry if the placement is confusing.

I do realize that while knowing the semi major axis is helpful, many users (myself included) would also like to have the geosync. orbit height. So in the next version of Planet Wiki, I will include orbit height for geosynchronous orbit on the sidebar with the semi-major axis in parenthesis. This new sidebar will also include warp heights!

Since there are so many entries in the OPM version and I don't have a whole lot of free time, I cannot say when the OPM version will be updated to the new sidebar layout, but it is definitely something I want to work on.

On 10/15/2016 at 5:21 PM, daver4470 said:

Wow.  I was thinking about how I really wish I had information like this in the in-game Kerbopedia.  And this is EXACTLY the sort of thing I was hoping already existed!

Thanks very much for this!  

Thanks for downloading my mod! While I created this for purely selfish reasons, I'm glad I shared it and it was received well by the community.

1 hour ago, jandcando said:

I included the body radius in at the bottom of the new sidebars. Sorry if the placement is confusing.

I do realize that while knowing the semi major axis is helpful, many users (myself included) would also like to have the geosync. orbit height. So in the next version of Planet Wiki, I will include orbit height for geosynchronous orbit on the sidebar with the semi-major axis in parenthesis. This new sidebar will also include warp heights!

Since there are so many entries in the OPM version and I don't have a whole lot of free time, I cannot say when the OPM version will be updated to the new sidebar layout, but it is definitely something I want to work on.

Thanks for downloading my mod! While I created this for purely selfish reasons, I'm glad I shared it and it was received well by the community.

Oh my bad, didn't saw it (tiny mini numbers :D ) thanks for it sir

• 5 weeks later...

Cool, I installed this and it's mostly what I've been looking for.  However, as mentioned previously, it probably should be modular and read the parameters dynamically, so new planet packs don't require any modification or manual editing.  I know they're there in the config files for each body.

You mentioned module manager earlier.  Might Kopernicus have something like this as well, hooks into planet parameters?  Maybe a way to render the planet the same way the game does for the graphic of each, but I think that's less important than getting the characteristics?  Seems like there should be some library to read the params rather than picking through the config files yourself.

I know a more than a bit about development, but I work mostly in Java or Linux-related stuff.  Not so much with Windows / C#.  But I could possibly poke around the source code to see if anything looks promising, if you have a way to plug that into your current Wiki.

Cheers,

-BS

On 11/18/2016 at 4:36 PM, barfing_skull said:

Cool, I installed this and it's mostly what I've been looking for.  However, as mentioned previously, it probably should be modular and read the parameters dynamically, so new planet packs don't require any modification or manual editing.  I know they're there in the config files for each body.

You mentioned module manager earlier.  Might Kopernicus have something like this as well, hooks into planet parameters?  Maybe a way to render the planet the same way the game does for the graphic of each, but I think that's less important than getting the characteristics?  Seems like there should be some library to read the params rather than picking through the config files yourself.

I know a more than a bit about development, but I work mostly in Java or Linux-related stuff.  Not so much with Windows / C#.  But I could possibly poke around the source code to see if anything looks promising, if you have a way to plug that into your current Wiki.

Cheers,

-BS

As amazing as that would be, something like that is way beyond my scope of coding understanding, if it is even possible. The process of making these pages involves making a new scene in Unity and drag/dropping text and images where you want them. I wouldn't know how to make Unity automatically import config files, much less do it on the fly during loading to adapt to multiple planet packs like your idea. It is a great concept, but I'm certainly not the one who is going to understand much about it if it starts getting used.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.