[KSPedia 1.9.1+] Planet Wiki v4.1 - May 20, 2020

jandcando

I made a little "mod" that I have wanted in the game for a while now: Planet Wiki, a KSPedia-based mini-wiki that contains useful information regarding the planets such as science multipliers in different situations and the border between "In Space High" and "In Space Low." The kind of stuff you normally have to go to the KSP wiki to find. Here are its pages:

http://imgur.com/a/H3RdP

Download Links for Stock version (v4.1):

~Thank you to Avaborg for working on this and getting it working for KSP 1.9.1 after all these years~

Spacedock

Curse

Dropbox

Links for Outer Planets Mod Edition [KSP 1.7.3 and earlier, OPM has changed since this too] (v3 page layouts):

Spacedock

Curse

Dropbox

So far the pages are populated with the following information:

• A picture of the planet
  • Pictures of the planet's parent body and moons
  • The planet's in-game description
  • The science multiplier in different situations at the planet
  • The altitude border between different situations at the planet
  • Orbital Period
  • The planet's orbital inclination
  • Semi-major axis needed for synchronous orbit
  • The phase angle for optimal transfer
  • delta-v needed to (safely) get to the surface from Kerbin's surface
  • delta-v needed to land/take off
  • delta-v needed to escape
  • Surface gravity in g's
  • Height of the atmosphere
  • Number of biomes
  • The highest and lowest point on the surface, with their coordinates
  • The Sidereal day length
  • Efficiency of solar panels on planet's surface (as opposed to Kerbin's surface)
  • Minimum and maximum distances that the planets can be from Kerbin
  • Body Radius

(Moons are included, too!)

If you like my work and want to support this project, donate! No amount is too small.

pixel.gifpixel.gifHNRtY08.gif

Edited by jandcando
Updated for 1.9.1

1 hour ago, wasml said:

Atmosphere height would be useful to avoid a decaying orbit and for aerobraking. Delta V to land escape too.

I agree, a delta-v needed for takeoff/landing would be rather helpful to know. Atmospheric height can be read as the border between "Flying High" and "In Space Low", but I'll make a separate readout for it anyhow since it is a bit obscure at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback!

--EDIT

Alright, I added those two things to the template! I'm ready for more suggestions, like what should be put under "Surface Info?" I was thinking stuff like number of biomes?

Edited by jandcando

The number of biomes is probably good, though I'm not sure how you want to handle fake biomes like the Duna craters, or the repeat biomes like on Tylo. I would think that the actual biome names might not be a good idea, a lot of people might not want that information right away.

High and low points of the terrain might also be interesting.

Also, some advice about the layout, try putting some padding between the borders of the pages and the content. Text and images that run right up against the edge look a bit funny, and the blue grid background emphasizes this even more.

On 6/4/2016 at 0:04 AM, DMagic said:

The number of biomes is probably good, though I'm not sure how you want to handle fake biomes like the Duna craters, or the repeat biomes like on Tylo. I would think that the actual biome names might not be a good idea, a lot of people might not want that information right away.

High and low points of the terrain might also be interesting.

Also, some advice about the layout, try putting some padding between the borders of the pages and the content. Text and images that run right up against the edge look a bit funny, and the blue grid background emphasizes this even more.

I really wanted to have a readout for the high and low points of terrain, but I don't really have a way to find that. The KSP wiki doesn't have that information for every planet. Could I use SCANsat to find these things?

Also, your advice on the layout is greatly appreciated! You can expect those tweaks in the next version. :)

15 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

How about adding optimal transfer positions/how to get there?

Sure thing! I'll put in the relative optimal phase angle to Kerbin and the delta-v needed to make the transfer.

OK! I made a new version of the pages with the tweaks/additions suggested by @DMagic and @Waxing_Kibbous!

Edited by jandcando

Hey @DMagic, do you have any idea how to convert the Kerbal Maps coordinates into latitude and longitude? There isn't much point in knowing the high/low points unless you know where they are. (They MIGHT already be that way and I'm just really stupid)

Disregard that message above, I figured it out.

Edited by jandcando

Here is an update on my progress so far:

I have a nice-looking template I'm using to make each page now, and I have pages completed for The Sun, Moho, Eve, Gilly, Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, Duna, and Ike. Here is a screenshot of Kerbin's finished page:

RNYNunq.png

I'm now working on the rest of the planets, which will take some time to finish. Download will be available soontm

Edited by jandcando

Alright, the download link is here!

Draft 1 of Planet Wiki: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rh5s38nmakcxxtw/PlanetWiki.zip?dl=0

Feedback on the layout would be welcome, too. I don't know if I should stick with the format of having the moons nested under their parent planets or not.

Edited by jandcando

44 minutes ago, Bob Jub said:

This is absolutely amazing, though a few key pieces of information are missing, orbital period and altitude required for synchronous orbit would also be great information to have handy.

I agree, altitude for synchronous orbit should definitely be in here. However, I'm not sure what good knowing the orbital period would do...

1 hour ago, jandcando said:

I agree, altitude for synchronous orbit should definitely be in here. However, I'm not sure what good knowing the orbital period would do...

For example, in RemoteTech, you might want to keep your satilites at the Trojan Points and you don't want them to drift too far.

16 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

For example, in RemoteTech, you might want to keep your satilites at the Trojan Points and you don't want them to drift too far.

Oh, I see. I'll put that on my to-do list for the next version!

1 minute ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

@jandcando Do you think it would be possible for this mod to work with planet packs like OPM and IA-Revived? Maybe something like compatability patches.

Yeah over on Reddit, someone asked the same thing. I don't think an Outer Planets version of Planet Wiki is out of the question, I'll just have to familiarize myself with those planets (I've never played it before!). Also, could you tell me what IA-Revived is? I've never heard of it before.

All this reminds me, I should do one for Real Solar System!

1 minute ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

It's Interstellar Adventure Revived. I don't often use the full name. The link to the mod is in my signature.

Wow how have I not heard of that before? It looks amazing! So many planets and stars, though. That could take a long time to make pages for all of them, so I'll get back to you on that.

I love the Don Quixote references :D

5 minutes ago, jandcando said:

I love the Don Quixote references :D

Thank the IAU (for once). I incorporated the entire Mu Arae system, which they named in December with the NameExoWorlds campaign. The moons of the planets follow very similar naming conventions that the star and planets went through.

Anyways, I'm wondering how you were able to make this mod as an extension to KSPedia. It may be something I would like to try out in the future with one of my smaller mods.

Edited by ProtoJeb21

Just now, ProtoJeb21 said:

Anyways, I'm wondering how you were able to make this mod as an extension to KSPedia. It may be something I would like to try out in the future with one of my smaller mods.

@DMagic made a wonderful tutorial on creating KSPedia entries. Follow it, and you'll be on the road to making them yourself in no time!

@jandcando May I suggest a version number and date of last change in the thread header - makes it easier to spot updates.

Edit: Just spotted a page where DMagic is collecting/creating an index of KSPedia pages - You might want to add yours to the list.

Edited by wasml

15 hours ago, wasml said:

Edit: Just spotted a page where DMagic is collecting/creating an index of KSPedia pages - You might want to add yours to the list.

I already posted about it there. I think DMagic is a little busy at the moment.

Alright, I'm working on the second version. I'm moving the atmospheric height and delta-v to take off/land to the "Surface Info" column, and I'm adding readouts for orbital period, semi-major axis needed for synchronous orbit, g at surface, % effectiveness of solar panels on the planet's surface compared to at Kerbin, and length of a (sidereal!) day on the planet.

Edited by jandcando

Planet Wiki v2 is complete! As always, tips for the next version are welcome. Just keep in mind, that the pages are a bit full now. I can probably make space for like one or two more things, but I feel pretty good about the info that's in there right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.