[1.2.2] Centauri Dreams - Explore Alpha Centauri

hikoriyami

22 minutes ago, hikoriyami said:

Alright Sigma, I'll bite. I have done the math several times and while I get close to achieving a perfect binary orbit, at about the 85th year they become noticeably wrong.  They should look like this if my math is correct, which its not.

ntO4cxw.png

But I get to this on earth year 99:

CRIWXJH.png

Alpha A orbiting around the barycenter is moving too slow. I checked the math and I get the same periods if I plug the number into the equation you gave me. I'm guessing there is an inaccuracy with either KSP or hyperedit (I use it to set the time) that is causing this problem, but I want to run it by you first. 

Important numbers:

Alpha B SMA: 3500999999999 (weird I know, but I checked it)
Alpha B Period: 3406593317
Alpha A SMA: 1582165919282.51
Barycenter Mass: 201875597261891427260025536512 Kg

Am I missing something here? We can move this into a PM if it gets too heavy but I thought the answer may help someone else in the future.

could you send me the cfgs? that might help me find where the error is

maybe it's just an error in the barycenter's mass :)

Hi,

I was looking at the bad .netkan file generated by Spacedock, and would like to make the following suggestions:

1. Put everything into a GameData/CentauriDreams directory
  2. Do NOT have spaces in the directory name.  Either do it as I suggested above, or use a non-space character, such as an underscore or a dash
  3. Add an AVC .version file, will allow CKAN to automatically see new versions (see the site: ksp-avc.cybutek.net to easily generate the file), and keep it updated

As it is, I'm not sure if it can be properly indexed in CKAN, but if you make these minimal changes, it will be much easier to index, and incidentally, make it easier to install manually

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Hi,

I was looking at the bad .netkan file generated by Spacedock, and would like to make the following suggestions:

1. Put everything into a GameData/CentauriDreams directory
  2. Do NOT have spaces in the directory name.  Either do it as I suggested above, or use a non-space character, such as an underscore or a dash
  3. Add an AVC .version file, will allow CKAN to automatically see new versions (see the site: ksp-avc.cybutek.net to easily generate the file), and keep it updated

As it is, I'm not sure if it can be properly indexed in CKAN, but if you make these minimal changes, it will be much easier to index, and incidentally, make it easier to install manually

Just updated with what I had done. Let me know if theres anything else I need to change or fix.

Below is the changelog for the Final Pre-Alpha

Updated filenames to allow easier install
Created proper barycenter
corrected a serious flaw in calculated mass
Ground scatter added to several bodies
Better biomes for Elcano and Hawking
Added AVC

13 hours ago, hikoriyami said:

Just updated with what I had done. Let me know if theres anything else I need to change or fix.

Below is the changelog for the Final Pre-Alpha

Just a couple of small changes:

1. File name should be: entauri_Dreams-0.0.3.1   (you have 31 at the end)
  2. The version file shouldn't have the " (2)" as part of it.
  3. The GameData has the wrong case.  You have "Gamedata", should be "GameData"
  4. VERY IMPORTANT:  The Kopernicus directory should be in the GameData directory, NOT the CentauriDreams directory

#3 will cause problems on Mac & Linux

But looking nice

Edited by linuxgurugamer

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just a couple of small changes:

1. File name should be: entauri_Dreams-0.0.3.1   (you have 31 at the end)
  2. The version file shouldn't have the " (2)" as part of it.
  3. The GameData has the wrong case.  You have "Gamedata", should be "GameData"
  4. VERY IMPORTANT:  The Kopernicus directory should be in the GameData directory, NOT the CentauriDreams directory

#3 will cause problems on Mac & Linux

But looking nice

Man, this modding thing is a lot like work.

1. oops
2. double oops
3. triple oops
4. Not an oops. That's not the kopernicus .dll directory, its just my configs. Will that mess up something on your end? I don't package with Kopernicus.

27 minutes ago, hikoriyami said:

Man, this modding thing is a lot like work.

1. oops
2. double oops
3. triple oops
4. Not an oops. That's not the kopernicus .dll directory, its just my configs. Will that mess up something on your end? I don't package with Kopernicus.

Yup.

Ok, so that Kopernicus should stay in the Centauri_Dreams directory, yes?

Perhapaps it would be an fun Idea to have Earth Solar Sysem (RSS) in orbit at a range of 4 Light Years, then it would be possible for the Kerbals from the Alpha Centauri to visit planet Earth. Could be combined with BDArmory if you want to play the space invader :wink:...

Edited by FreeThinker

On 7/29/2016 at 10:32 AM, FreeThinker said:

Perhapaps it would be an fun Idea to have Earth Solar Sysem (RSS) in orbit at a range of 4 Light Years, then it would be possible for the Kerbals from the Alpha Centauri to visit planet Earth. Could be combined with BDArmory if you want to play the space invader :wink:...

:PI like the idea, sadly I have already foreseen some problems with this, and how kopernicus loads planets.

Everything would work fine between RSS and Centauri Dreams alone around a central body. However, the global flight tag that tells each planet what belongs to it would become misaligned depending on which star was closer to the core at start.

The only fix I can think of would be a massive re-assign of MM patches within the compatibility patch to change what global flight tag that mod looks for (IE from 1 to 37). We would basically have to tell each mod that Mercury is not Alpha Centauri A. 

Edited by hikoriyami

10 hours ago, hikoriyami said:

:PI like the idea, sadly I have already foreseen some problems with this, and how kopernicus loads planets.

Everything would work fine between RSS and Centauri Dreams alone around a central body. However, the global flight tag that tells each planet what belongs to it would become misaligned depending on which star was closer to the core at start.

The only fix I can think of would be a massive re-assign of MM patches within the compatibility patch to change what global flight tag that mod looks for (IE from 1 to 37). We would basically have to tell each mod that Mercury is not Alpha Centauri A. 

You should take a look at how Sigma88 accompliched this in his Galactic Neighbourhoud,  he technically did this with RSS already (you just need to remove the rescale config) as he put RSS as a system in orbit of the galactic core.

Edited by FreeThinker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Updated for 1.2 

Change log

0.5.0 First Alpha Release
-Reviewed and updated planets meshes and textures
-added "fake" body to help simulate Proxima Centauri better
-complete change of Proxima Centauri's planets due to findings from Pale Red Dot
-reduced brightness of Alpha B and Proxima to reflect reality
-added coronas to Alpha B and Proxima
-PQS levels reduced and polished
-updated to current KSP and Kopernicus version

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great job!  Loving this mod.  I'm posting my progress here, but just wanted to let you know there seems to be a bug where mining craft sink into the terrain and/or explode on Acceleration.  Mods I'm using are SpaceY, SMURFF, and Centauri Dreams/Kopernicus.  Maybe something I'm doing wrong?

• 4 weeks later...

Another post I didn't notice until now. I wonder why I am not seeing notifications? 

I will look into it. Does it happen when you time warp? Or just while landed in general? I notice you also said you mine on Hawking, is it a problem there as well?

EDIT: Found the issue. Fix will be in next update. For now if you want to fix and feel comfortable doing it yourself: go into Acceleration.cfg and remove the line under properties titled "mass = 6.05E+17" that line was a hold over from something else

Edited by hikoriyami

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.