Kopernicus Creativity Marathon

1 hour ago, BashGordon33 said:

I've been downloading more of the simpler planet packs to reverse engineer them. I tried to use OPM but that uses to many PQS mods for me to understand it. Some of the less popular planet packs are the easiest to understand. 

So you don't clutter up the chat(Its good you want to chat about making planets but the main kopernicus thread is for that) im going to give you some links to The White Guardian's Tutorial on making planets. Also ask killashley after you have read his tutorials about getting the atmosphere Calculator.

23 hours ago, SAS123 said:

So you don't clutter up the chat(Its good you want to chat about making planets but the main kopernicus thread is for that) im going to give you some links to The White Guardian's Tutorial on making planets. Also ask killashley after you have read his tutorials about getting the atmosphere Calculator.

Alright will do. Thanks for the references. I'll look through those and see what I can find. 

yeah i got kinda distracted lately and forgot about it. Luckily im here now and the judging is done!

KCM Round #3 was an interesting round and I'd like to congratulate the entrants. However there can be only one winner and that winner is.....

newcomer @Agent-Daniel_46

congratulations dude, your world, Trin. was especially good work for such a new user! (looks like getting a hand from TWG was wise :P)

Spoiler

meDxc8V.png

also to note is that the next contest will probably start at the beginning of next month, so don't forget to check back then!

Nice job @Agent-Daniel_46. That looks like a sweet looking planet right there.

KCM #4 Should actually have you either make a moon for one of these custom planets using only one picture of the planet or have that the next one requires one certain PQS mod like VertexHeightNoise.

P.S I would love to show my planet but about 4 days ago(4 days before this post was made for the latecomers), my computer broke while i was playing Star Trek Online so its in the workshop. Would love to show Oreus.

Edited by SAS123

OK so it may have been a day late, but its here now.

With the interest of many new people wanting to take a shot at creating something I have decided to provide a relatively simple round this time.

Previously regarded as the building blocks of bodies themselves, now known to be the floating fragments from millennia-old collisions, asteroids are always floating about our systems.

Today your task will be to create a new small asteroid streaking across our system.

Round Rules;

-Size must be be between 10 and 30km radius (giving extra size for people struggling with small-scale PQS)
    -It's orbit must be relatively stable (don't make the orbits too rediculous)
    -Try to strike a balance between realism and beauty (a clump of loose rock doesn't have to look  boring)
    -Bonus points for the most unique shapes

As always send your completed bodies to myself and it wouldn't hurt to send it to @Thomas P. in case i am unable to judge them.

Closing date will be 2nd September 2016

Edited by KillAshley

22 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

OK so it may have been a day late, but its here now.

With the interest of many new people wanting to take a shot at creating something I have decided to provide a relatively simple round this time.

Previously regarded as the building blocks of bodies themselves, now known to be the floating fragments from millennia-old collisions, asteroids are always floating about our systems.

Today your task will be to create a new small asteroid streaking across our system.

Round Rules;

-Size must be be between 10 and 30km radius (giving extra size for people struggling with small-scale PQS)
    -It's orbit must be stable (this will be tested using principia, any unstable orbits will be disqualified)
    -Try to strike a balance between realism and beauty (a clump of loose rock doesn't have to look  boring)
    -Bonus points for the most unique shapes

As always send your completed bodies to myself and it wouldn't hurt to send it to @Thomas P. in case i am unable to judge them.

Closing date will be 2nd September 2016

Question: how can you test if an orbit is stable?

1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

Question: how can you test if an orbit is stable?

2 hours ago, KillAshley said:

will be tested using principia

:P basically if it doesn't go flying off into the endless cosmos then ill consider it "stable enough"

3 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

:P basically if it doesn't go flying off into the endless cosmos then ill consider it "stable enough"

Okay. There is one problem though, where can I even find Principia? The only Principia thread I've found so far is

And it's one big mess of links, finding the right one is going to take ages.

5 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

@KillAshley There's a new asteroid-generating addon being made by GregoxMun where certain implemented values can create differently shaped asteroids. Is this allowed to be used in Round 4 to help create our asteroids?

so basically you are asking if you can enter a competition for who makes the prettiest looking asteroid by using a tool that will generate said asteroid for you instead of making it yourself?

4 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

so basically you are asking if you can enter a competition for who makes the prettiest looking asteroid by using a tool that will generate said asteroid for you instead of making it yourself?

Fair point, fair point. At least I can mess around with a bunch of PQS Mods to create this asteroid. It could give me insight on what can be done to a Kopernicus object.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, SAS123 said:

Well i may be back. Elite Dangerous had me very busy. While i won't enter this time, i will next time unless this chat is actually dead. 

KCM 4 is actually closed already. It did so nearly two months ago.

Saying that out loud makes me realize what a sh*t load of time has passed already without a winner being declared. @KillAshley everything going alright over there?

• 1 month later...
On 22/10/2016 at 6:44 PM, The White Guardian said:

KCM 4 is actually closed already. It did so nearly two months ago.

Saying that out loud makes me realize what a sh*t load of time has passed already without a winner being declared. @KillAshley everything going alright over there?

i died, but i'm alive again now...........

truth be told i put it off because we only got 1 entry this time, and it was past the deadline. Kind of killed my enthusiasm to judge really. On top of that i disappeared from the scene for a while altogether, so yeah. I pretty much consider round 4 to be dead do to no interest, and I'm trying to figure out whether or not to continue the project currently.

9 hours ago, KillAshley said:

i died, but i'm alive again now...........

truth be told i put it off because we only got 1 entry this time, and it was past the deadline. Kind of killed my enthusiasm to judge really. On top of that i disappeared from the scene for a while altogether, so yeah. I pretty much consider round 4 to be dead do to no interest, and I'm trying to figure out whether or not to continue the project currently.

Only one entry? I'm pretty certain I submitted my own entry as well, before the deadline too.

Got a point there though, I didn't know there were almost no people interested in the contest anymore.

How about this - anyone who is interested in the KCM, like this comment! Let's see how many people want the creativity marathon to live on! :D

On 11/24/2016 at 11:36 AM, The White Guardian said:

How about this - anyone who is interested in the KCM, like this comment! Let's see how many people want the creativity marathon to live on! :D

I can do better than that: Show what I was making for each round! This is a way to express my gratitude for the KCM by showing how it has improved my Kopernicus skills.

ROUND ONE: FAZZ

A tiny ice moon of Dres that was captured by the space potato after a collision-caused orbit change. Fazz was meant to be similar to Minmus with a giant front-side basin. It even had 5 biomes and its own custom science defs. Spoiler alert: I sucked at Kopernicus back then, and so did Fazz.

v5bwrAi.png

ROUND TWO: LENTUM

Lentum, based off of a planet from one of my old solar system ideas, was the only object I actually submitted. It was a large, ice-metal planet that was warmed up by repeated impacts and became a very alien world - green skies, exotic unicellular life, and crater-lakes of liquid Gallium. The main issue when making this world was getting the liquid to stay in the craters and ONLY in the craters! This was the only screenshot I had, taken before I put in the oceans.

kPevR16.png

ROUND THREE: XOLOTL

This world was named after the Aztec god of death and heat for very obvious reasons: Its hot, molten, and deadly. Xolotl was a planet spewing sulfur compounds all over the planet, making it poisonous and yellow. Giant lava seas covered the lowlands, bordered by basalt flows. I tested out some new techniques with Kopernicus and KittopiaTech to develop this world. However, I never finished and didn't take any screenshots. Here, have the color map!

otccYfw.jpg

ROUND FOUR: MIBBY

Yep, I did Round 4! My asteroid was the comet-impostor Mibby, based off of similar objects found in the asteroid belt. It was a cratered world covered in frost ejected from massive impacts. Not only did it have similar colors to Minmus, but it also was colored to look half-rocky. I continued to use newer methods to make itty-bitty Mibby, but I ran out of time. Why? IA-Revived development, the end of summer, and school. Darnit.

a7egLdL.png

I can't wait for Round 5...any planet I would make will look far superior to any I have released currently! (I've been doing quite a lot of Kopernicus self-teaching...you'll see with ProtoJeb's Planets version 0.1)

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.