Kopernicus Creativity Marathon

Sorry about the delay in the re-posting of this thread, work life has had me running around without a lot of free time lately!

oMCkQ8l.png

What is KCM?

The Kopernicus Creativity Marathon is an open competition for all who want to try their hand at planet creation. Every so often either myself or @Thomas P. will post a new challenge for all to try their hand at. After the closing date for each competition we will judge the entries and announce a winner! That winner will then be put forward and integrated into a "community planet pack" that will be polished up by myself & @Thomas P. to ensure the contestant's planets are as good as they can be. Each competition will be judged in our free time, so please don't bug us for results until they are announced, likewise subsequent rounds might experience delays depending on our personal lives, but we will try to have a new one as soon as we can after the previous round (but no promises on how long the delay will be)

How to enter;

To enter for a leg of the marathon all you need to do is read the current rules and details regarding what we are looking for in this round, then after you created a new planet simply PM myself and @Thomas P. with your files so we can judge them after the closing date.

Rules;

• Planets must be made using the current version of Kopernicus available during the competition. Any planets that don't work with the most recent version will be disqualified.
  • Planets must be created specifically for this contest, any planets that are found to be part of existing planet packs will be disqualified.
  • Any planets must be entered for the competition before the completion of each round. Any planets sent to us after the final day will be ignored.
  • All planets must be released to myself and @Thomas P. under a MIT license. This is so we can polish the worlds and eventually release them as a community planet pack for all to enjoy. Any people who wish to release their planets to us under a different license must disclose so to us. (Please note; upon release of the community pack all credit will be given to the original creator of the planets. None will be taken by us)
  • Any entry containing generic Space Engine export planets (ie; ones not heavily edited to actually look good in KSP) will be disqualified.
  • One planet per person, but this does not mean just one person per planet (co-operation with other people is fine however "group entries" will only be allowed one single body)
  • Ideas should be kept to the individual/groups creating the body. No plans, ideas, or anything else about your worlds should be discussed in this or any other thread. This thread is for announcements, rule/contest clarification, and general feedback.
  • more to come too when i remember.....

Current Competition;

Round #4 Closed!

Post Date - 2nd August 2016

Closing Date - 2nd September 2016

Previously regarded as the building blocks of bodies themselves, now known to be the floating fragments from millennia-old collisions, asteroids are always floating about our systems.

Today your task will be to create a new small asteroid streaking across our system.

Round Rules;

-Size must be be between 10 and 30km radius (giving extra size for people struggling with small-scale PQS)
    -It's orbit must be relatively stable (don't make the orbits too rediculous)
    -Try to strike a balance between realism and beauty (a clump of loose rock doesn't have to look  boring)
    -Bonus points for the most unique shapes

Previous Rounds;

Round #1

Create a moon for Dres

Winning entry

@tygoo7 for his moon Plez

Spoiler

xEURo4K.png

Round #2

Create a planet with an ocean

Winning entry

@The White Guardian with his planet Cerillion

Spoiler

ubn6lEd.png

Round #3

Open Contest - Create any single body

Winning entry

@Agent-Daniel_46 for his world Trin

Spoiler

meDxc8V.png

Edited by KillAshley

Gosh. Not my sort of thing, but I can't wait to see all the cool creations!

May I suggest a database of all entries, such that we (regular forum users and ksp players) can use the ones we like?
You could have an excel document with links to direct downloads off dropbox, or something of the like.

Edited by ImkSushi

2 hours ago, KillAshley said:

Current Competition;

Post Date - 3rd June 2016

Closing Date - 3rd July 2016

FFA Competition! For the return of the competition I would like to open the doors for any and all, simply create A SINGLE body anywhere you like, with whichever properties that fits well into the stock system. It could be a new planet, a new moon, an asteroid, anything at all! The aim for this round is to find the most creative and fitting bodies that compliment the stock system. 

I think this part of the OP pretty much covers it

3 hours ago, Astrofox said:

So, what's the theme of this challenge, if you don't mind me asking.

2 hours ago, Galacticvoyager said:

Can rings be added to our planets?

as Sigma said, its an open round this time, any and ALL ideas are valid.

1 hour ago, comicbstudeo said:

What kind of plants are we allowed?

only green ones :wink:

3 hours ago, KillAshley said:

as Sigma said, its an open round this time, any and ALL ideas are valid.

only green ones :wink:

I have the perfect color map!

verde.jpg

(Crap its disqualified now isn't it)

Edited by Kepler68

This is the only thing that can show my excitement and gratitude for KCM 3:

giphy.gif

Also, I need to ask @KillAshley if edited textures from Space Engine 0.9.7.4 will be allowed. The textures for Terras, Ice Worlds, and Titans are really unique and (for once) Kerbalized. I also may have time issues with my exoplanet hunting. Either way, this contest will be awesome!

On 6/5/2016 at 0:05 AM, ProtoJeb21 said:

This is the only thing that can show my excitement and gratitude for KCM 3:

giphy.gif

Also, I need to ask @KillAshley if edited textures from Space Engine 0.9.7.4 will be allowed. The textures for Terras, Ice Worlds, and Titans are really unique and (for once) Kerbalized. I also may have time issues with my exoplanet hunting. Either way, this contest will be awesome!

I suggest you dont add minions as a reaction...

Seriously, everyone will bash you...

11 hours ago, Xenonclave said:

Can we alter the orbits of existing bodies? To make room for an added moon for instance, or even putting an existing body in orbit of whatever we make. Just wondering

nope, the challenge is to only add one body to the system. :P

On 6/3/2016 at 7:54 PM, KillAshley said:

s thread, work life has had me running around without a lot of free time lately!

I literally just found this and now its made my day

On 6/11/2016 at 5:13 AM, Galacticvoyager said:

I have a very imaginative idea for a body but I can't code. Anyone want to help me?

1. Make a config like that shown here. Include mods like VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute, VertexHeightNoise, and VertexVonoroi. Add HeightColorMap for planet colors. Ask people on the Kopernicus Beta forum thread for how to set up these PQS Mods.
  2. Start up KSP, go to the tracking station, and open Kittopia (Ctrl+P).
  3. Fiddle around with the values of all your PQS Mods until you get a result you like. Remember, click "Rebuild PQS Mod" to save your changes, and click "Update Textures" inside "Scaled Space Editor" to export your textures. Also inside Scaled Space Editor is the file size for your textures. Change it to 2048 in order to get high-res textures without crashing your game.
  4. If the exporting of your textures stops, go back to the Space Center and return to the tracking station. Open Kittopia and start exporting your textures again.
  5. Once you have made your textures, close out of KSP and change your planet's config file into one that is like my configs from IA-Revived or Kumar's Dwarf Stars. Remember to put the different textures in their correct files, and get the file paths right!
  6. Start up KSP again to see if your planet loads. Edit your config until your planet appears in the tracking station. If the planet works, open up Kittopia and export your textures again. (Remember: use 2048 x 1024 resolution for your exported textures)
  7. Edit the values in "VertexHeightMap" until your planet's height map is the way you want it to be. Close out KSP and replace your original textures.
  8. PROFIT!!!!

6 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

please keep ideas quiet until the round is complete. Asking for help from other people is fine, however we would like to keep this thread clear of any unnecessary clutter, thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.