Make your own custom parts in game

Instead of constantly adding and updating tons of mods, why not add the function for us to design our own parts!

Since after we finish the tech tree all our science is basically sitting there doing nothing, science will be used as the "cost" to design and also to balance.

General idea of how it works would be as follows:

1. Choose part type (pod/electric charge generators/fuel tanks/drills/grabs/etc)
  2. Choose a basic shape/use existing part as template
  3. Edit the shape, the shape will be shown something like in procedual fairings but can click and drag the line(frame) to tweak shape to liking
  4. Edit the stats like thrust/fuel consumption/kerbal count/storage capacity/generating speed. 

For balance, the more OP the custom part is the more science it costs to "make" this part, e.g. high thrust engine with low fuel consumption will cost tons of science whereas just tweaking the shape of a normal pod to look nicer would be very cheap

As for actual $$$ cost, maybe can spend more science to lower cost(by making process more efficient)

The current tech tree can be integrated by say parts cant be made smaller past X size until miniaturization is unlocked or something along those lines

Policies also can be integrated, say if you are focusing on reputation, maybe then pods must provide each kerbal X amount of space rather than say squeeze all the kerbals in a tight pod

This is a nice idea.  I'd probably even pay for it if it were DLC.  It would be nice to be able to do it at the beginning of a new career, so maybe a new Space Parts Design Headquarters with upgrade options.  The first stage lets you do some modifications of stock parts for a modest price (and within certain limits) and then as you advance you can improve the design center for more advanced parts and making new parts from scratch.

1 hour ago, kBob said:

This is a nice idea.  I'd probably even pay for it if it were DLC.  It would be nice to be able to do it at the beginning of a new career, so maybe a new Space Parts Design Headquarters with upgrade options.  The first stage lets you do some modifications of stock parts for a modest price (and within certain limits) and then as you advance you can improve the design center for more advanced parts and making new parts from scratch.

DLC? IN KSP? OH HELL NAW

3 hours ago, VoidrayX said:

Instead of constantly adding and updating tons of mods, why not add the function for us to design our own parts!

Eh, depends on why you want more parts. It can be for "purity", i.e. KSP's "Make do with what you're given" paradigm. Might be for a different/more detailed model, which isn't really something you can do easily with proc parts.

Since after we finish the tech tree all our science is basically sitting there doing nothing, science will be used as the "cost" to design and also to balance.

Just making sure, do you want this to be limited to an end-game thing? Or just something to soak up more science in the process of playing?

General idea of how it works would be as follows:

1. Choose part type (pod/electric charge generators/fuel tanks/drills/grabs/etc)
  2. Choose a basic shape/use existing part as template
  3. Edit the shape, the shape will be shown something like in procedual fairings but can click and drag the line(frame) to tweak shape to liking
  4. Edit the stats like thrust/fuel consumption/kerbal count/storage capacity/generating speed. 

Sounds like proc parts to me. I'm not sure what parts would benefit from a stock fairing-like design, though; at least in my experience, basic shapes along with offsets and rotation suffice for a lot of shapes. Probably the only thing I've missed is the ability to offset/tilt parts, e.g. slanted nosecones on Energia's boosters. What parts do you think would benefit significantly from your suggestion?

The current tech tree can be integrated by say parts cant be made smaller past X size until miniaturization is unlocked or something along those lines

RP-0 does something like this already, actually. Not sure how many parts would benefit from getting smaller, though.

9 hours ago, awang said:

Sounds like proc parts to me. I'm not sure what parts would benefit from a stock fairing-like design, though; at least in my experience, basic shapes along with offsets and rotation suffice for a lot of shapes. Probably the only thing I've missed is the ability to offset/tilt parts, e.g. slanted nosecones on Energia's boosters. What parts do you think would benefit significantly from your suggestion?

Not really proc parts, proc parts changes shape to what you put on them, here im saying we use the proc part model to display the custom model, you can then drag and distort the frame of the part such that its shape changes.
Also stats of the part can be changed as well. Engines/fuel parts benefit the most also for people who want to make other parts look nicer/ weirder esp for stations or colonies, can adjust the lab to have a square base instead etc, without modding the game

Basicly tweakscale+proc that you can adjust yourself+edit stats but at cost of $$$ and science to balance inside the game such that you dont need mods to get modded parts and also can be shared easily as all players games will have this custom parts system where the game just loads the custom part info from the craft file rather than say need to install 10++ mod just to use a craft someone shares

Can also say to complete researching this part you need to do X mission to test things if want to integrate with contract system

10 hours ago, awang said:

Just making sure, do you want this to be limited to an end-game thing? Or just something to soak up more science in the process of playing?

Honestly i think it should be end/late-mid game thing for when you are done playing most of the game, want to do something more crazy then you need more op parts, its also here where you have alot of excess science so you can spend these instead of just them sitting there and go do the fun/crazy excrements you wanted to do that you couldnt before without modding/cheating/otherwise very hard

10 hours ago, awang said:

RP-0 does something like this already, actually. Not sure how many parts would benefit from getting smaller, though.

Thats better than even easier to implement. Smaller parts retaining their bigger parts efficiency/capacity isnt that better? 

18 hours ago, VoidrayX said:

Not really proc parts, proc parts changes shape to what you put on them, here im saying we use the proc part model to display the custom model, you can then drag and distort the frame of the part such that its shape changes.

Er, my bad. I was talking about the proc parts mod(s), which allow you to change the actual part model. They don't allow arbitrary click-and-drag shapes, but they can more or less make an equivalent part using several smaller sections.

Engines/fuel parts benefit the most also for people who want to make other parts look nicer/ weirder

Meh. I can't speak for everyone, but I would imagine people would generally want more detailed engine models, and proc parts can't really compare to something created by hand. I wouldn't exactly say proc parts are good for nicer-looking parts, either. I don't know about weird.

dont need mods to get modded parts and also can be shared easily as all players games will have this custom parts system where the game just loads the custom part info from the craft file rather than say need to install 10++ mod just to use a craft someone shares

How many part packs do you think can be replaced with proc parts to a meaningful degree? Sure you may be able to replicate them functionally, but I'd imagine part packs are downloaded as much for how good the parts look as the niches they fill.

Honestly i think it should be end/late-mid game thing for when you are done playing most of the game, want to do something more crazy then you need more op parts

I don't really agree with this. Crazy/LOLSOKERBAL craft really shouldn't be limited to the end of the game. And at least to me, "crazy craft" and "op parts" don't really go well together; IMHO, part of the craziness comes from the fact that something is used for a purpose that is far beyond that for which it is designed.

its also here where you have alot of excess science so you can spend these instead of just them sitting there

I think a better solution would be reworking the science system, but that's a rabbit hole that probably shouldn't be explored in this thread.

• 1 year later...
50 minutes ago, The_TwistedTaco said:

this is an awesome idea! we just need to revive this thread and make it popular so the admins can check out this idea, and they might consider this! i really like this idea

I think it is already a 'popular' idea that basically ask for the ability to make modded parts. Something make me consider already in game. 

The idea of making it an in-game thing is somewhat original. But I really don't see it as a benefit. 

Also, I'm very skeptical about the idea of including [things mods do] in the core game. It turns something completely optional (just don't download the damm thing if you don't want it) into something I have to deal with in some way.

On 3-10-2017 at 3:58 PM, NSEP said:

All i need is a procedural engine (especially for Realism Overhaul). I'd pay the Devs a million to do that.

Give me a million and you'll have your engines part within a week, brought to you in a privetjet and goldenbox on a titanium flashdrive.

Edited by DrLicor

13 hours ago, DrLicor said:

Give me a million and you'll have your engines part within a week, brought to you in a privetjet and goldenbox on a titanium flashdrive.

While the Ti drive probably wouldn't cost that much, as most of it would still have to be silicon and copper, the other two might have a shot of reducing your profit margins to unacceptably low levels.  I mean, if you are going to start a bespoke software company, you might want to work on reducing your shipping costs...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it would be right as part of the stock game.  To get enough functionality to be worth doing would probably be quite a bit of extra data.

But as a standalone program (DLC ?) that lets you model parts then save them into the game (think Kerbalizer for rocket parts) then yes I could see that being quite cool.  It could easily have some built in (toggleable) 'performance limits' to help players create sensibly balanced engines etc.  As well as broadening the educational aspect of KSP by giving an entry level 3D modelling program.

• 2 months later...

I've suggested this in one of my threads though a bit different. The thread is called "Kerbin Infrastructure and Improvements" Please tell me what you think of my version of the idea Their. I do agree in a system like this similar to the way Simple Planes part editing takes place just in more depth. I honestly think KSP has so much potential and SQUAD Shouldn't be forced to endure the constant suggestion of new parts, for example We want "new engines, new landing legs, new fairings, new SRBs, New tanks, Can we have one in this size, that size blah blah blah. We all want new parts. For example I want to build a rocket that has a diameter of 25 feet with 4 vectors. I just tried it today with just the first stage and with 4 rhinos. I had to merge 4 fuel tanks around a center core resulting in excess tanks, excess lag, excess weight because of the support system. And a " + "shaped rocket (Excluding Quotes) 4 Rhinos couldn't lift it until 1/2 of the fuel was Expended! It was a outrage because The Rhinos are pretty much F1s and they couldn't lift a rocket to the actual size of the Saturn V! With a part editor I could use Vectors scaled up and EASILY have achieved lift off because it would pretty much be the Medium sized rocket scaled up to a diameter of 25 feet. (7.62 Meters) With my version I suggested a calculator that would find the size of parts and give a realistic and accurate (Ish) Number for NEWTONS of Force and such things like weight and overheating all taken into account. Once happy just complete your edit and launch. The fact I can't launch a Saturn V that is realistic in size with a decent lander and faring structure is frustrating much less I can't be creative and make my own rockets to my own specifications. With the pretty accurate physics engine in the game we could simulate many if not all rockets ever created. 

As im sure the KSP Lobbiest are mad that the new boosters in Making History Resemble R-7 Family and not Soyuz so instead of annoying squad we could just stretch the parts out at the top patch it up with the Kaint (Paint) Bucket :) and are good to launch. If we had this we could make rockets that are at minimum 7 parts 2 Engines 2 Tanks 1 decoupler, 1 nose cone, and 1 probe core scaled up to the size of the Saturn V with this. Think about it a 7 Part rocket that big would have far less lag and fly better. The way the Physics Engine Wouldnt be overwhelmed with struts funny looking fairings that all need to break apart with the game trying to simulate that it just needs to measure 7 parts. You could build a Super Star Destoyer  and merge it into 1 part! Then now we have KSP Space Fleets with 7 Ships which are only 7 Parts in space. Also this way their is less Debries in Orbit. 

Anyways I'm done ranting please check my post out and vote in my poll and reply to my post here. 

Thoughts?

Edit:

Look though the Suggestions and Development MANY Post are about new stock parts. What if we just made them. Another really common suggestion is that we get a new planet(S) which is something I really want especially one with rings filled with capturable asteroids. Not just a graphic besides. If we got this editor SQUAD Could add that and much more.

On 10/14/2017 at 8:47 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

If you want to make your own custom parts, then just create your own mod. It's simple.

Unless your unlucky and have a console then bad to be you.

Am I right? 

The Logic In that statement is ridiculous. We would download a mod if we wanted too or if we could. A have a good idea by your logic let's have SQUAD Stop developing the game all together this was the modders can do it all! 

The point is to make it into the Stock Game. 

P.S. That wasn't a personal attack or an attack I'm just expressing my frustration with that statement.

Edited by Cheif Operations Director

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.