Dres is a Harsh Mistress

Everybody loves Dres. So much so that I'm certain, given the opportunity, everyone would focus their space program around that lovely, lonely space potato. And now you can! Using the "Gregsux" method pioneered by @GregroxMun and @Sigma88, I've murdered Dres and dressed Kerbin up in it's stuff.

pajGgBT.jpg

4xQptQj.jpg

Dres, with it's low gravity and no atmosphere, gives you a great leg up on an interplanetary space program. I'm currently 'working' on a rearranged tech tree to take advantage of this.

Things I've done and why I done it:

Due to the way ISP is calculated, Dres needed an atmosphere. It is very thin and grey. Another technique to thank GregroxMun for.

Dres seems like it's pretty warm. This is an error. I thought I made it cold but I do not understand Kopernicus as well as I would like. This is actually because a lack of atmosphere lets the sun heat things pretty quickly; it gets cold at night. Works as intended, just not as expected.

The Dresian atmosphere obscures the stars. This was originally an error that I came to like. It fits quite well with my story that Kerbals are interstellar colonists who crashed on Dres, churning up vast amounts of dust. I switched it.

An asteroid belt object as massive as Dres has probably torn up asteroids that ventured too close and stayed too long. An optional, WIP, config for rings is available. A shepherd moon is in the works right at the edge of the Roche limit.

Things I'm thinking of doing or problems I have:

Modifying the tech tree: This is pretty annoying. Anyone know a good editor?

Dres having no moons has made Strategia misbehave for me. Does it work right on your end? Making some tiny asteroid moons would fix this.

Rephrasing the rescue missions as lifeboat recoveries from before the big ship crashed.

And a Spacedock link!

And GitHub too! Enjoy my amateurish flounderings!

Has the MIT licence.

Edited by BigFatStupidHead

You can give Dres an atmosphere that is 1 meter high and has 1 atmosphere of pressure, and it will not obscure the stars or affect ships in-game at all. :)

26 minutes ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

Using the "Gregsux" method

lol

Edited by GregroxMun

Cool idea.

Random thought: Could you push KSC underground and replace it with a Kerbal Konstructs base with just the launch pad and like a living area that looks more like it's made to be in space? With the new icons in 1.1.2 you should still be able to access all KSC functions, though I don't know what would happen if you tried to launch from the KSC launchpad :D

23 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Cool idea.

Random thought: Could you push KSC underground and replace it with a Kerbal Konstructs base with just the launch pad and like a living area that looks more like it's made to be in space? With the new icons in 1.1.2 you should still be able to access all KSC functions, though I don't know what would happen if you tried to launch from the KSC launchpad :D

I would love to do that. Making the entire thing more spacey would be awesome, and placing things underground doesn't affect their function, but I don't have the talents to design such a thing. :( 

28 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

You can give Dres an atmosphere that is 1 meter high and has 1 atmosphere of pressure, and it will not obscure the stars or affect ships in-game at all. :)

lol

Oh, that's how it works? Neat!

30 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Honestly this is the best first mod I've ever really seen! How long have you been practicing?

Well, this is my first KSP mod. This is mainly because I want to keep playing KSP, and you know what happens when you start modding...

Hey folks. I'm making a modified tech tree and running into some problems. Could someone take a look at these MM configs and see if they can spot if anything is weird with them?

Spoiler

@PART:HAS[#TechRequired[basicRocketry]]:FINAL
	{
		@TechRequired = advRocketry
	}
@PART:HAS[#TechRequired[generalRocketry]]:FINAL
	{
		@TechRequired = heavyRocketry
	}
@PART:HAS[#TechRequired[propulsionSystems]]:FINAL
	{
		@TechRequired = basicRocketry
	}
@PART:HAS[#TechRequired[precisionPropulsion]]:FINAL
	{
		@TechRequired = generalRocketry
	}
@TechTree:FOR[TheDresProject]
	{
		@RDNode:HAS[#id[aerodynamicSystems]]
		{
			@description = Aerody-what-nics?
		}
		@RDNode:HAS[#id[heavyRocketry]]
		{
			@description = What goes down must come back up.
			@Parent
				{			
				@parentID = propulsionSystems
				@lineFrom = TOP
				@lineTo = BOTTOM
				}			
		}
		@RDNode:HAS[#id[propulsionSystems]]
		{
			@description = A positively different approach to existing trends in rocketry. These massive, wasteful propulsion systems may not seem as efficient, but they might prove just as useful.
		}
		@RDNode:HAS[#id[survivability]]
			{
			@description = Deep vacuum is not very forgiving. Some of these parts may help us keep going.
			}
	}
//propulsion -> reliant (liquidEngine)
//precision -> swivel(liquidEngine2), vector, thud(radialliquidEngine1-2). Actually, the vector can stay put; wow.
//parent heavy rocketry from propulsion systems
//send away the red clamp, parachutes, heat shields.
//survivability -> hitchhiker, basic ISRU bits
//flight control -> cupola
// -> lander can
Spoiler

@PART[liquidEngine]:FINAL
	{
	@TechRequired = propulsionSystems
	}
@PART[liquidEngine2,radialLiquidEngine1-2]:FINAL
	{
	@TechRequired = precisionPropulsion
	}
@PART[solidBooster_sm]:FINAL
	{
		@TechRequired = generalRocketry
	}
@PART[batteryPack,landerCabinSmall,longAntenna,RCSBlock,roverWheel2,sensorThermometer,sepMotor1,spotLight2,structuralIBeam2,structuralIBeam3]:FINAL
	{
		@TechRequired = start
	}
@PART[mk1pod,trussPiece1x,basicFin,parachuteSingle]:FINAL
	{
		@TechRequired = aviation
	}

To make things work, I had to split my part shuffling into two separate MM configs; originally everything was part of the first one and not all my changes would properly appear. Even still, the first node has many duplications of the parts in it. There are probably typo's that I haven't caught yet, and I may have messed up on some syntax. Fresh eyes might catch what I've missed.

Yay all fixed!

I have updated to a 0.2, now featuring a WIP tech tree, as well as a set of beeuteeful rings made of the shattered remains of asteroids daring to fall within the Roche limit. The atmosphere is now clear cold space, but doing this makes the "Leave the Atmosphere!" tutorial contract uncompletable. I recommend skipping it. Oh, and I'm figuring out GitHub too!

15 hours ago, RA3236 said:

For the temps: they are in Kelvin (I think...).

I think so too. I think what I was seeing was things getting hot because I was testing during the day. More testing showed things get very cold at night. I guess that means this is working as intended!

12 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

Why?

Just why?

Why not?

But I'm quite serious about Dres being a really nice place to run an interplanetary space agency from. Low gravity and no atmosphere lets you launch space monstrosities on puny engines. There are no moons to get in the way of your arduously planned transfers, and you're right next door to scenic Duna and Jool! When I'm not frustrating myself with unwieldy tech-tree editing, custom moons refusing to show up in game, and parts of the KSP that refuse to lie flat despite perfectly level ground, I have a lot of fun on Dres.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.