EVA Vertical Rotation

when on EVA, I cannot get the kerbal to rotate vertically. This means that I often end up bumping my head into whatever I'm trying to interface with. If it's a railing and I'm in this orientation and hit F to grab on, this always ends up flinging me far off into space with my RCS off. I've gone through thread after thread and all the conversations mention it, but there's no mention on how to correct it.

L-click and drag to "pitch" and "roll" the kerbal, Q and E to "yaw". 

Note that in the main menu settings there is something called "Auto rotate EVA Kerbal to camera". If this is turned on, then as soon as you press any key to translate (WASD), they will go back to the default orientation. If you turn it off, then they will stay put, and you can orient them to default by pressing space bar. 

The other way to "correct" it is to rotate the ship, and not the Kerbal. By default the Kerbal's head always points north. If you rotate the ship to point north before the Kerbal arrives, generally you won't have any problems like this.

8 hours ago, Taviyo said:

when on EVA, I cannot get the kerbal to rotate vertically. This means that I often end up bumping my head into whatever I'm trying to interface with. If it's a railing and I'm in this orientation and hit F to grab on, this always ends up flinging me far off into space with my RCS off. I've gone through thread after thread and all the conversations mention it, but there's no mention on how to correct it.

When on EVA, the Kerbal is always oriented head-up based on the view mode you're in.  Using the click-and-drag method to putch forward/back is only ephemeral.  As soon has you hit a WASD key, the Kerbal returns to having his head in the original direction.  You can change that direction permanently, however, by hitting the V key to change from Orbital to Free or vice versa.  There is a 90^ difference between the "up" directions in these modes.

Or you can get the FreeEVA mod.  This toggles the settings file thing about "Auto Rotate Kerbal to Camera" on and off as you tap the spacebar.  With it off, the Kerbal flies like a ship but you have to move the camera to keep up with him.  With it on, the Kerbal rotates back to whatever "up" direction you have in that view mode, and turning the camera turns the Kerbal.

Hi there!

I've just registered here to indicate the same problem... No matter how I try to rotate my Kerbal on EVA around any axis other than z (let's call axis z which points from foot to head).

Here is what I read:

• Press <space> to reorient to camera:
    • doesn't seems to work.
  • Make sure "Auto rotate EVA Kerbal to camera" option is ticked:
    • it is
    • I even unchecked, accepted, checked and accepted again
      • doesn't seem to work for me.
  • Try to change the camera to FREE:
    • I did it, it reorients the Kerbal in a random direction...

Any OTHER ideas? Or is this a bug for the current release? Please before you answer, check if it works for you as the game is now! I don't want generic answers without you being certain it works for you!

If nothing seems to work, I would like to try a reinstall, but I'd like to hold onto my saves. What should I copy and from where to ensure my saves are intact?

If you want I can shoot a video showing the problem!

Thanks for the answers in advance!

9 hours ago, TheBigHusiG said:

• Make sure "Auto rotate EVA Kerbal to camera" option is ticked:

21 hours ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

L-click and drag to "pitch" and "roll" the kerbal, Q and E to "yaw". 

Note that in the main menu settings there is something called "Auto rotate EVA Kerbal to camera". If this is turned on, then as soon as you press any key to translate (WASD), they will go back to the default orientation. If you turn it off, then they will stay put, and you can orient them to default by pressing space bar. 

Might try turning it off? Although I haven't tried it in game, so it's probably just a generic answer.

The space bar thing is only if you have the Free EVA mod installed. (Incorrect. See below)

Edited by Aser

1 minute ago, Aser said:

Might try turning it off? Although I haven't tried it in game, so it's probably just a generic answer.

The space bar thing is only if you have the Free EVA mod installed.

Tried it, hitting the space bar still rotates the Kerbal by its z-axis... :/

I'll look into this free EVA mod!

13 minutes ago, Aser said:

The space bar thing is only if you have the Free EVA mod installed.

It's not actually, that's stock. 

Press <space> to reorient to camera:

• doesn't seems to work.

That only "works" if you have rotated them away from the default orientation. 

Make sure "Auto rotate EVA Kerbal to camera" option is ticked:

You have it backwards. You want that option turned off, as Aser says. 

With the "Auto rotate" option turned off, when you use left-click-drag to rotate the kerbal and then use WASD to translate, they will stay rotated and translate in the desired direction. Then, if you need to, you can press space bar to reset them to the default "up/down" rotation. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.