Commercial Space Program: Balancing Science, Funds, and Time - A Career Modlist for KSP 1.3 by Inigma

inigma

I used to play with stage recavery before. But lately, it might be due to more knowlage gained overall in KSP, it is too overpowered. Money is almost no issue in my playtroughs, with or without stage recovery. With stage recovery I earn money too quickly. In recent few careers I didn't even bothered to install it. Cool mod though, but all other things have to be counterparted, contracts, part cost, science points available ...

• 2 weeks later...

Archiving for 1.1.3:

Commercial Space Program: Balancing Funds, Science, and Time - A Career Modlist for KSP 1.1.3 by Inigma

Do you want freedom to advance your career space program by using either funds, science, or time? Then read on!

SESYoXm.png

The Commercial Space Program modlist changes the focus of KSP away from the stock method of pure science grinding for program advancement, to a broader means where funds, science, or time can enable you to advance your space program the way you want to!

Essentially it works like this:

1. Funds can be earned by one of four methods:

• by selling science points for 10k funds per science point
  • completing contracts (exploration, passenger, special missions)
  • mining and recovering resources you convert
  • a daily accrual based on your positive reputation

2. Science points can not be bought, but can be earned by one of three methods:

• gathering science via reports as normal (but using mods to make it easier to find science and collect it with no click-fest)
  • completing contracts
  • a daily accrual based on your invested KCT points

3. Time management is introduced by the Kerbal Construction Time (KCT) mod:

• requires time to pass when constructing anything
  • requires time to pass when upgrading anything
  • requires time to pass when researching a tech node
  • you can decrease how much time passes for these things by spending KCT upgrade points as the game progresses.

4.  Research nodes are acquired solely by funds and made available only after time has passed:

• node cost is entirely dependent on its science point value
  • science points values are automatically converted to funds at 10k per science point to yield the node's funds cost
  • you will not be able to research a node unless you have the equivalent value of funds available to purchase it (you may need to sell some science points therefore to do so)
  • once you've acquired a node for funds, it will take time to make the research available to you
  • once a tech node is fully available to you, you must then purchase the individual parts in the node for additional funds to unlock them

5. Strategies introduced by Strategia will greatly increase your contract rewards based on what areas of advancement you are currently focused on:

• requires unsold science points, funds, and other requirements to activate most strategies

Required Pre-Game Setup Options:

• Science Rewards: 60% (a lot of science opportunities demands a smaller yield, especially if each science point can be sold for 10k funds!)
  • No Entry Purchase Required on Research: Disabled (requires that you purchase every part you intend to research, in addition to the research node)
  • Decline Penalty: 0 (picking and choosing which contracts you want to do is realistic in my opinion and should never be penalized)

Required Gameplay Mods:
Strategies:

• Strategia (replaces stock Strategies. requires some science, so be sure to keep some science points in stock to activate)

Contract Packs:

Science Mods:

• DMagic Orbital Science - more science instruments (and thus more science opportunities)
  • Science - Full reward! - A simple Module Manager config file that gives you full science reward when gathering data. Still enables transmission loss though. Mod not needed if you have Kerbalism installed.
  • Station Science - More science parts!
  • [x] Science! - Visually see what science is available to you at any given moment to gather, and what you're missing. Use this to beat the science click-fest and make science work for you! Newest version makes Automated Science Sampler obsolete.

Science to Funds Mod:

• KSPCasher - meat and potatoes of this career mode. Requires 10,000 funds for each science point required to research a node in the tech tree. Also allows you to sell science for funds. Also pays out daily funds according to your reputation.

Simulator:

• KRASH (funds required to "simulate" missions and test protoypes)  (KCT can also do simulations for funds, but I like to disable its simulator options in favor of KRASH)

Time Mod:

• Kerbal Construction Time - requires time to pass for research, building upgrades, and vessel construction. Also allows you to earn science points on a regular time basis depending on how you spend your KCT upgrade points.
  • Any Life Support mod. I use Kerbalism (hey, if you're gonna have time as a factor in your decision making, might as well include this amazing all-in-one life support mod for upping the realism) -  this adds the necessity for planning ahead and not make the game cheaty since warping time to get ahead will at some point have real supply consequences when you are fielding Kerbals.

Tech Tree:

Notifying @SpaceTiger @nightingale @Quodios Kerman @severedsolo @Z-Key Aerospace @maculator @DMagic @magico13 @linuxgurugamer @ShotgunNinja @JPLRepo @RoverDude @pap1723 @Nertea and @Probus - your mods are mentioned in the OP of this thread. Feel free to review if you think your mod is a good fit.

Thanks guys for making this particular game play possible with KSP!

@inigma

Might I suggest the following (all available for 1.2):

Champagne Bottle, to give unique names to vessels

EVA Enhancements, to give a better EVA expience

EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats, for those times when things go boom

The Janitor's Closet, for housekeeping (doesn't change gameplay at all)

Kerbal Launch Failure, for occasional random failures. Getting an update which will let you get science from a failure, allowing you to learn from experience, also experimental parts have much greater chance of failure

Part Commander Continued,for ease of gameplay

Total Time, to see how long you have been in a game

Edited by linuxgurugamer

32 minutes ago, Quodios Kerman said:

Currently I am reworking my mod "Mine-To-Earn" to space refinery mod. Maybe It'll take about few months, so after relaunching my mod I can suggest my mod. Currently my mod's quality is not enough to be part of here.

ok. thank you! ya we really do need a mining mod in this game.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, TinyPirate said:

This looks neat, can I install it on top of an existing Kerbalism with Scansat career safely?

Yes. The mods listed are just the minimum required, but you can add any other mods that you think work well with these existing.

• 6 months later...

I just started using this pack for a career and I have a strange bug. When I unlock a node in the tech tree my science shows as it should(previous minus what I just spent) but when I leave the research facility my science goes back to what it was. Even when I timewarp to node completion the science is still there. Is this a designed feature or have I done something wrong in setup?

sounds about right. check with the mod author. ive not tested the Commercial Space Program modlist in sometime. In fact, I'm trying to figure out a new Commercial Space Program experience in KSP 1.4 but waiting for mods to update.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.