Fatal error in gc

Hello I'm trying to mod for my first time and I'm using v1.0.1.861. I followed nifty 255's videos on YouTube, but I'm getting a "too many heap sections" message inside a "Fatal error in GC" titled window. The loading bar stops on the file I created so I'm pretty sure my mod is crashing the game. Is there something specific that would make the game crash, i.e. models versus config files?

I doublechecked the collision mesh, it's set to convex and I am using ksp diffuse shaders. Using Unity 5.2.3 I start a 3d Unity project with no asset packages, import PartTools_AssetBundles.unitypackage from the PartTools_KSP11_2 folder. Then I went step by step through this video, however I am using Modo 801 with units = 1 meter: 

First of all, Modo is awesome.

Second, I saw the output log again, and it's trying to read the texture at "Custom/Parts/TestPart/KSPTest"

Then below that I see this :

(0x04DF997D) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available):  A./: (int,UnityEngine.Material,string) + 0x3d (04DF9940 04DF99DE) [04724E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0
(0x04DF9806) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available):  A.:ReadMaterialTexture (System.IO.BinaryReader,UnityEngine.Material,string) + 0x46 (04DF97C0 04DF9916) [04724E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0
(0x04DF96D8) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available):  A.:ReadMaterial (System.IO.BinaryReader) + 0xe90 (04DF8848 04DF971C) [04724E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0
(0x04DF5F21) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available):  A.:ReadChild (System.IO.BinaryReader,UnityEngine.Transform) + 0x1a61 (04DF44C0 04DF627D) [04724E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0
(0x04DF3F9F) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available):  A.: (UrlDir/UrlFile) + 0x22f (04DF3D70 04DF437A) [04724E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0
(0x04DF3CB9) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available):  DatabaseLoaderModel_MU/

Try and re-creating everything in Unity, re-import all assets.Make sure you have a unique material and only one material per object.

So, I made a new project and reimported the assets, nothing is helping. Yep, one material is assigned. I noticed something weird in the output though. Why is the "model" loading for the parts I've made but not for the mods I've obtained from other authors? All others show Load(Texture)... Also I came across another forum post saying something about a .mu file being incomplete/corrupt if its very small, under 10k. I took a look at my model and it's 1-4k depending on the order of steps I use in Unity (which is really weird). What a pain in the ass! Lol, and I agree, Modo is awesome. Way more efficient coming from Max.

Edit: I figured I'd add in my model and texture, could you run it through your unity and see how it goes? It doesn't have a collision mesh as I've been just adding a mesh collider to the main model, its so low poly I just doubled the count with a collision mesh, which seemed excessive. The original mesh I used had a seperate collision mesh and still got the error so I figured there was no harm in removing it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2imY9mkpx_5LU5Wc2dUd3RRTGc

Edited by S_64

Were you trying to load the JPG in KSP? Did you try TGA / PNG?

Looking at your model now.

Edit: See below.

I did notice that your model was not centered and you had some animation keyframes in your model which didn't seem to do anything.

Center your model in Modo, go into modelling mode (where you can select polygons, forgot the actual name), and with nothing selected go to the left menu and click Center Selected > All. That will center your model and keep your Pivot at the center.

Then in unity select your FBX, and on the inspector (Right window), select animations, and deselect "import animations". You can also do that in Modo by selecting the channels tab on the right, and highlighting all your channels with red buttons, right click and select "Remove All".

I would also not load that JPG texture in KSP, but a PNG, TGA or DDS formatted texture.

Heres a link to a Unity Project file. https://www.dropbox.com/s/s813aoosl2lltve/KSPTEST_Unity.unitypackage?dl=0

Just import that into your Unity Scene.

CbwdQyA.png

Edited by martinezfg11

I thought only .mbm textures worked. My first go I used png and converted that to mbm with parttools. I'm just trying to troubleshoot little differences. Thanks for the feed back I will try that project later this afternoon.

Got it working! I looked up the differences in KSP over the latest versions and noticed they swapped over to Unity 5(the version I'm using) on KSP version 1.1 and after. I updated ksp to version 1.1 and now it works flawlessly with your recommendation of using the model module. Thank you for your continued effort in helping me, it's not often people are willing to help as much as you have.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.