Screenshots Re-Imagined [GROUP THINGY NOW]

HazelPine

Finally, after a very long time, a family tragedy and pure negligence by me, it is done. Ladies and gentleman, I give you:
 @Kerbiter's drawing!

I am really happy that I finished this drawing, I can't imagine how annoying it must've been to wait so long for Kerbiter, but I hope the quality offsets the time spent procrastinating!

Here it is:

el5vSoA.png

The usual PM with the backup download will be sent as well. :)

Man, it's great to see you back, and it's good to see you've gotten through your hard times. It's never easy... ;.;
Now that you're back, I'm tempted to post my own request soon, but I wanna wait till you are definitely up for it again, and are open to new requests. Honestly though, It's SO HARD to pick just one pic though!!! I guess I can describe my top 5 picks and let you decide. If you wanna see a photo, just say so, and I'll post it.

A: My first successful mission to another body, the Challenger Titanic FitzgeraldIV.✹ It performed orbital surveys of the Mun, and landed on Minmus (without landing legs, no less)! I never even planned to go to Minmus, but I had SO MUCH extra fuel✹... It's an Mk2-3 on a Science lab, and has a huge stockpile of RCS and Xenon tanks, with Ion drive at the tail. It has a few small solar panels and a ton of RTGs. Fairly traditional rocket shape, but with the tail being a ring of 8 tiny stacks. Set to a backdrop of Minmus.
B: There's my rather silly pic titled "A space porcupine sits on a rock"... Picture an Ion+NERV probe, roughly the shape of a 4 legged stool, towing a class E asteroid on KAS tow lines. LOTS of solar panels sticking out at every possible angle.
C: I rather find I like the design of my Ike'n'Duna & Eve'n'Gilly probes (they're almost identical). It's a pair of side by side probes launched on one stack. Nice symmetry. Each probe is a triple stack of Science Jr.s, with survey scanners on the end, satellite dish on the side, and a three way solar panel symmetry. It uses 1-2 and 1-3 adapters to make the symmetrically stacked parts. An example of a probe that splits from one stack to three and back to one. x2! The backdrop is just SPAAAAAACE, but if you wanted to be creative, Eve and Gilly, or Duna and Ike could easily serve as a good backdrop.
D: There's a really cool night shot of Gilly Vanilli,✶ when it popped two tires. Turns out Alley lied when she told Billy-Bobdan she could change a tire!✤ Gilly Vanilli is a 44 ton rover with 32 wheels, a NERV on it's back end, and either ions or small chemical engines on it's belly (depending on where it's heading) for landing. It uses the Mk-2 inline cockpit attached with some of the curvy adapters to a science lab and some huge feel and xenon tanks (depending on the deployment). The wheels are suspended on double rocker-bogey suspensions, made using docking ports as joints, and modular girder segments as the beams. It has it's own landing legs to protect the tires from hard landings, and to jack the vehicle up to make tire changes easy. This image does not show the vehicle in a very detailed angle, but it's a really cool angle. It's part of an attempt at circumnavigating Kerbin. The backdrop is a tree to the right of the rover, with numerous trees on rolling hills behind it. A mountain rises up on the left. It's a night shot, but it could be lightened up. Also, Gilly Vanilli has rainbow headlights so it can roll in style! :cool:
E: Finally, there's the Minmus deployment of Gilly Vanilli parked next to the Minmus Biorefinery Base... A single, 25 meter diameter ring base, with four 8 meter biodomes (ALL in a totally incorrect gravitational orientation), launched whole and landed on Minmus without refueling. Gilly Vanilli drove 105 km to rendezvous with three science waypoints on it's trip across 1/3 of Minmus's circumference, before it ended it's journey to the great flat where the Minmus base was landed. Gilly Vanilli is at a great angle to show off the entire rover, and has it's solar panels all deployed. I was using Kethane back in those days, so there's a light dust cloud around the base's central stack.

I have no idea which one I should post when you're officially open to new submissions. I suppose you could decide what appeals the most to you. :D

NOTES:
✶ I name most of my vessels after terrible disasters, such as Columbia, Titanic, Challenger, Edmund Fitzgerald, Milli Vanilli:D
✹ CTF I was drifting in a heliocentric orbit. Jeb kicked Bill out after he ate all the snacks and failed to push the vessel back to Kerbin.
CTF III rescued CTF I... Bob and Bill still don't speak of CTF II... Jeb routinely laughs at "those idiots in that seriously ΟP rocket:rolleyes:
I bet those guys are still screaming, somewhere out in deep space... :0.0:
"So much extra fuel" seemed to be a recurring theme with the CTF series of vessels, usually to the detriment of the vessel and it's occupants...
✤ Alley swore she could change a tire! Really swore! She even put a Kredit in the "swears for snacks" jar and everything! The Wiki even said so! (the skills unlocked at different levels for Engineer were listed incorrectly at one point) She ended up going on training to learn the art of tire changing. Turns out, Kerbal has no roads, and the runway is apparently too busy, so she was forced to go all the way to Duna to learn how to change a simple tire! :rolleyes:

I don't wanna actually post any pics till you are ready. Anything you're interested in having a look at, I can post.

Edited by richfiles

12 hours ago, Pine said:

@richfiles, I'm really curious about the Gilly Vanilli! Could you share both pics of it?

D478241171325776FC178030721BFFC760F56DC7

FA1FEDF660BC741A4EA104780B25BF1062F1E0D1

There you go. As you can see, the first pic is of course a very cool angle, but the second one really shows Gilly Vanilli in detail. The base in the second pic is based off of @michaelhester07 way out of date pack Small Stanford torus and Biodome models. It's been broken since 1.0.0, sadly, but it's an old favorite of mine... Mainly cause that ring has IVAs for some 40 kerbals sitting in lawn chairs sipping on mugs amongst the trees and grass. It's also why I mentioned the base is gravitationally oriented bass awkward. :sticktongue: All that matters in KSP tho, is it looks cool! :cool: Also, that base is suspended on 48 landing legs! I think it was 48. You can walk under it. it has even amassed a collection of... defunct vehicles that entered the ring, but could not escape the ring. Lets just say I had some very... poorly designed escape pods. :rolleyes: Imagine a throwing star made of Mk2 Cockpits. Now imagine it had centrally mounted engines that thrust sideways, and that is was designed to rely on MechJeb's Smart A.S.S. utility for stability. Now imagine I forgot to install a MechJeb unit onto each pod. Oops! :P

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention. back in 0.90, before deadly reentry heat, Gilly Vanilli was a launch to landing vehicle, hence the numerous radial parachutes. My launcher mounted two Gilli Vanilli vessels to the end (for weight symmetry) and reached LKO. From there, Gilly Vanilli's NERV could get it out to it's destination. For super low gravity bodies like Gilly, Ion engines was all that was needed to land. For something like Minmus or larger, chemical engines are required. Not shown are the long gone "blast away struts". I had a number of decouplers mounted at the ends of the rocker bogeys, and another set of decouplers mounted on the ends of the belly engines. all that was attached between he decouplers were struts... LOTS of struts! This was to keep the rather springy rocker bogeys from flapping' in the breeze during launch. I'd blow the decouplers before landing at my destination, so all the little parts would destroy themselves as they smacked the ground. That freed up the suspension.

I actually have a video of the Gilly Vanilli, with the suspension in action. It's just me driving it around the KSC. I have another video in editing limbo of the actual Minmus mission itself... I REALLY ought to finish it. :P

Interestingly enough (and I don't know if this still holds true, with so many changes to the core of KSP's physics engine in the past year+), is that I have never had a death in Gilly Vanilli. I eventually figured out it was the construction of the double rocker bogey that was responsible, but the structural elements act like incredibly efficient brakes when he wheels shear off. It's like coming to a stop on springy pegs. Sure, EVERYTHING disintegrates, but the crew modules somehow don't! I've popped tires at 30 m/s in the rolling hills north west of the KSC and NOT crashed it. I've come off a "General Lee" jump off the end of a hill peak at 48 m/s and shredded 3 of the 4 rocker bogeys... and had the vessel core still in one piece! I've even rolled it at 24 m/s (55 MPH) by stupidly turning while coming off a jump over the runway! Jeb even looked a little freaked, but he lived! The last one is in the video! :D

"Gilly Vanilli" 44.8 ton Kerbal rover catching air at 55 MPH

(Pardon the framerate... a virus scan had kicked in right as before I crossed the runway the first time)

Edited by richfiles

@richfiles, I think the second picture of Gilly Vanilli would be a better picture for a nice end result, so if you don't mind, I'd like to do that one for you!

@V7 Aerospace, don't be shy to send a picture!  If I didn't enjoy working on these I wouldn't have even made this thread! I simply got a bit caught up  in some bad happenings, but it's all good now, so if you request one you can be sure it'll get done. At some point in time. :wink:

1 minute ago, Pine said:

@richfiles, I think the second picture of Gilly Vanilli would be a better picture for a nice end result, so if you don't mind, I'd like to do that one for you!

Go for it! :D
You gonna focus on just Gilly Vanilli, or do it with the base? Either way is cool.

Edited by richfiles

I imagine I'll do both, but I'm not sure if that will hold up by the time I get to you in the list. I think I'll make the trees inside the greenhouses stand up properly pointing up and with your permission, pretty up that weird texture on the base wall. It looks kinda like an abandoned industrial wall or something.

On July 18, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Pine said:

I imagine I'll do both, but I'm not sure if that will hold up by the time I get to you in the list. I think I'll make the trees inside the greenhouses stand up properly pointing up and with your permission, pretty up that weird texture on the base wall. It looks kinda like an abandoned industrial wall or something.

The torus has the trees and stream (yup, a stream) on the side wall, which is fine for a gravity ring in space, but oh so wrong for a landed base.. If you wanted to creatively alter the ring, feel free to.  Maybe put the ground on the... you know, ground. You could maybe even fix up that industrial side wall by continuing the glass to make it more appropriate for a ground base. As for the biodomes... If you wanna alter those, feel free to do that as well. Heck, you can rotate them if you like. Up to you. I'll leave you to your creativity. :D

If you want references for the interior and it's overall look, or the glass, there are several images on the imgur album on the Small Stanford torus and Biodome models page.

Edited by richfiles
LOL... Auto correct? More like auto derp!

45 minutes ago, michaelhester07 said:

It's been so long since I touched that mod.  Squad changed everything since 1.0.  I don't know if i have the original artwork for it anymore.

Well, there are at least still the Imgur albums on that linked thread. They have to be clicked to be seen, but they'd be fine for providing references for Pine to draw detail from.
Still miss those parts... They were bee-yoo-tee-ful ;.;

Last time I tried to using them in 1.0.something, I had difficulty attaching things to them. I suppose they're derped pretty good...

@AlamoVampire, guess who was having fun recording footage from Minmus?

Finished another drawing, this time a spacecraft on the surface of Minmus, with Jeb bugging Bill through the windows! I like how the camera aesthetic came out, since I wasn't too sure about if it was gonna look good or not. Here's both versions, one with the camera effect and another without:

JJgIUSK.png

lsUaaFV.png

Next up in line is @Lordherrmann!

Edited by Pine

edit: i tried to save them, and save they did, but 90X90???

It was weird for me (Using Safari on Mac). I had to right click the image (no image save option, and the "gear icon" was non functional) and I selected open frame in new tab. In the new tab, I then used the Inspect element feature to get a listing of the page components, and was able to extract the full resolution images that way... It was definitely weird. I couldn't even click it to just go to Imgur! :confused:

Edited by richfiles

I think imgur had some kind ov update, so that's why it borked me up. As soon as I get back to my PC I'll send the backup and fix the image, hang tight!

@0111narwhalz, as soon as I get to my PC I'll add you to the queue, since the mobile editor is a pain with spoiler-filled posts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.