Kerbal Ragdolls Instantly on EVA

I have a save game I'm playing now, and I have a ship currently on a Mun flyby. I plan to take a lander down to Mun, then perform a hyperbolic rendezvous with the main ship on a second Mun flyby about 18 days later.

The trouble is, when I try to EVA Bill Kerman and get him to the lander seat, at about 600km above the Mun's surface, he IMMEDIATELY ragdolls and gets flung out at about 5 m/s relative to the ship. He breaks several of the still-retracted! SP-L 1x6 solar panels mounted to the lander can I just took him out of. Should breaking retracted solar panels even be a thing? I can usually recover using a quick time warp burst, then fly him back and get him in the lander seat, but I don't want him breaking my ship!

I have not been able to get him to successfully and safely EVA at all. Is something wrong with my save file or something?

Edited by Musicrafter
clarification

6 hours ago, Musicrafter said:

The trouble is, when I try to EVA Bill Kerman and get him to the lander seat, at about 600km above the Mun's surface, he IMMEDIATELY ragdolls and gets flung out at about 5 m/s relative to the ship.

Can you post a picture of your ship? There is a known issue that if there is something too close to the pod hatch there will be some collision forces when you EVA a kerbal. Basically, when the kerbal spawns on the outside of the pod, if there's something too close then they "hit" it and get thrown away. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.