[Minimum KSP version 1.11] Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) v2.3

IgorZ

21 minutes ago, Daveroski said:

It is not so much the highlighting that I object to as much as the 'part highlighting' which tends to leave a part highlighted when loading a vessel or changing the camera rotation or zoom. I then have to use the 'special key' + mouse roll-over to turn it off.

Could you please make a video on a pristine game to demonstrate the issue? I've spend a lot of efforts specifically to prevent this to happen, and it works fine on my machine as far as I can tell.

46 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Could you please make a video on a pristine game to demonstrate the issue? I've spend a lot of efforts specifically to prevent this to happen, and it works fine on my machine as far as I can tell.

As I seem to be the only one being affected and it doesn't happen on yours then the easier solution, just for me,  is to turn off the highlighting colour. After all, any changes made to accommodate my installation would endanger the installations of others who are not experiencing the issue, including your good self.

Now which of these values do I turn to '0'?

targetVesselHighlightColor = 1, 0.921568632, 0.0156862754, 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. CKAN installed this mod for me as proposed by another mod, I didn't even know alt clicking to switch was a mod. That's a great feature, I used it without knowing that it works - it's just intuitive. What's not great is that alt is used to "toggle movement mode" while EVA. Did you consider problems that it may cause?

Seems like I'm stuck with kerbals not aligning with camera when using RCS and not touching ground. I remember it started when I was alt-switching between vessels and kerbals, one kerbal started acting like this, another acted normally, but now I'm forced to pressing SPACE everytime I want any kerbal to align with camera. I changed key for "toggle movement mode" but it doesn't do anything. They align with camera when I press W when I'm touching the ground, but otherwise not.

Actually just now I added 'W' as a secondary  key for aligning with camera, so that's a workaround, looks like it works fine this way. 
EDIT: But its' still not that, before it aligned with camera when I pressed A,S or D too.

Edited by jamqdlaty

On 06.12.2017 at 10:43 AM, Daveroski said:

It is not so much the highlighting that I object to as much as the 'part highlighting' which tends to leave a part highlighted when loading a vessel or changing the camera rotation or zoom. I then have to use the 'special key' + mouse roll-over to turn it off.

I have the same little problem every time when i using EVS.

6 hours ago, jamqdlaty said:

What's not great is that alt is used to "toggle movement mode" while EVA. Did you consider problems that it may cause?

Honestly, I never used this mode and didn't know it exists :) The workaround is simple: just re-bind the modifier to a different key.

6 hours ago, jamqdlaty said:

Seems like I'm stuck with kerbals not aligning with camera when using RCS and not touching ground. I remember it started when I was alt-switching between vessels and kerbals, one kerbal started acting like this, another acted normally, but now I'm forced to pressing SPACE everytime I want any kerbal to align with camera. I changed key for "toggle movement mode" but it doesn't do anything. They align with camera when I press W when I'm touching the ground, but otherwise not.

To be honest, I don't quite understand the issue and how to reproduce it. If you could make a short video, it would make the issue much more clear. Since EVS does deal with the camera, it's very likely for it to mess with an existing camera manipulation code (or another mod which also changes the camera). The only way to fix it is to be able reliably reproducing the situation.

On 06.12.2017 at 1:59 AM, Daveroski said:

Now which of these values do I turn to '0'?

The last digit of the four is the alpha value. The format is RGBA (each letter stands for one number). However, note that this only affects the color of the highlight (which will be "transparent" in this case), but not the mod's behavior. From your description of the problem I'd suggest the problem is in the code and, thus, it will unlikely fix your issue. If you could make a video for me to demonstrate the problem, I'd debug and fix the behavior in the code.

2 hours ago, Aerospacer said:

I have the same little problem every time when i using EVS.

Same question: can you please make a video to demonstrate it? Once I'm able to reproduce it, I will likely fix it.

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2018 at 6:28 AM, IgorZ said:

EVS v1.6

• [Change] KSP 1.4.0 compatibility.
  • [Change] Completely disable the highlighting logic if the alpha component of the highlight color is 0.

@Daveroski @Aerospacer Guys, try the new feature. It should do what you need.

Hi

Thanks for the mod. Quick question for the sake of clarity: your version file (and therefore AVC) claim that this new version is only compatible with KSP 1.4, and no longer compatible with KSP 1.3.1 - the minimum version is 1.4.

Is this the case, or is it still compatible with 1.3.1?

6 minutes ago, UnanimousCoward said:

Is this the case, or is it still compatible with 1.3.1?

I never tested it. KSP doesn't keep backward compatibility between the game versions, so in general case you should expect the newer mods to not work with the previous game versions. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a *nix version. I re-assigned the key the same as in 1.3.1 but it doesn't seem to be working. I tried a different key. I double checked for errors in the settings.cfg file. Nothing unexpected seems to be showing up in the log. Can anyone else confirm they are able to or unable to re-assign the key? 

4 hours ago, Kaa253 said:

I have a *nix version. I re-assigned the key the same as in 1.3.1 but it doesn't seem to be working. I tried a different key. I double checked for errors in the settings.cfg file. Nothing unexpected seems to be showing up in the log. Can anyone else confirm they are able to or unable to re-assign the key? 

Could you please show your modified settings file? How exactly it doesn't work: the rebinding doesn't have effect or the mod stops reacting on any key? By *nix system do you mean iOS?

17 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Could you please show your modified settings file? How exactly it doesn't work: the rebinding doesn't have effect or the mod stops reacting on any key? By *nix system do you mean iOS?

Linux Kubuntu. After a lot of fiddling around with an unmodded (EVS excepting) install of KSP v1.4.1 I have found that a lot of keys don't work but some do. When it doesn't work the mod mostly stops reacting but the F7 camera mode still functions (i.e. the mod is clearly loaded alright).

I used LeftWindows before and it was great but it really doesn't work any more! RightWindows doesn't work. LeftCommand doesn't work but it maybe in conflict with the KDE window manager. KeypadDivide works but is not a great choice. CapsLock works but hAS ANNOYINg side effects. I settled on the Menu key as it seems to work fine and doesn't do anything else for me.

RightWindows is keycode 134 and Menu is 135 so why the latter works but not the former is really weird. It maybe a bug in the new version of unity?

vesselSwitchKey { keyCode = Menu } // works fine
vesselSwitchKey { keyCode = LeftWindows } // no dice

A simple online search does not find any unity bug reports for KeyCode. I have changed nothing else on my PC besides upgrading KSP and mods for 1.4.1.

9 hours ago, Kaa253 said:

Linux Kubuntu. After a lot of fiddling around with an unmodded (EVS excepting) install of KSP v1.4.1 I have found that a lot of keys don't work but some do. When it doesn't work the mod mostly stops reacting but the F7 camera mode still functions (i.e. the mod is clearly loaded alright).

I used LeftWindows before and it was great but it really doesn't work any more! RightWindows doesn't work. LeftCommand doesn't work but it maybe in conflict with the KDE window manager. KeypadDivide works but is not a great choice. CapsLock works but hAS ANNOYINg side effects. I settled on the Menu key as it seems to work fine and doesn't do anything else for me.

RightWindows is keycode 134 and Menu is 135 so why the latter works but not the former is really weird. It maybe a bug in the new version of unity?

vesselSwitchKey { keyCode = Menu } // works fine
vesselSwitchKey { keyCode = LeftWindows } // no dice

A simple online search does not find any unity bug reports for KeyCode. I have changed nothing else on my PC besides upgrading KSP and mods for 1.4.1.

Unity had issues in the past with the iOS - some keys were not properly noticed by the engine. I never hear any complaints from the *nix users, though. The switch key is checked a bit differently than F7, so there may be some issues on my side. I'll check. For the test, try binding LeftWindows instead of F7. Will it work?

8 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Unity had issues in the past with the iOS - some keys were not properly noticed by the engine. I never hear any complaints from the *nix users, though. The switch key is checked a bit differently than F7, so there may be some issues on my side. I'll check. For the test, try binding LeftWindows instead of F7. Will it work?

Binding LeftWindows instead of F7 for camera stabilization does not work. I left Menu as vessel switch and that function continued to work correctly.
In case of confusion, the settings config is in the spoiler.

Spoiler

UI
{
	// Key to switch into vessel select mode.
	// For allowed values see: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/KeyCode.html
	vesselSwitchKey { keyCode = Menu }
	// Key to switch into part focus mode.
	// For allowed values see: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/KeyCode.html
	partFocusSwitchKey { keyCode = O }
	// Allowed values: Left, Right, Middle, Btn4, Btn5.
	switchMouseButton = Left
	// RGBA format. Set it to 0,0,0,0 to completely disable the highlighting.
	// Seconds.
	newVesselHighlightTimeout = 0.5
}
InfoOverlay
{
	// Vessel info hint overlay font size.
	fontSize = 10
	// RGBA format.
	backgroundColor = 0,0,0,0.5
	// RGBA format.
	textColor = 1,1,1,1
	// Pixels between the border and the text in the vessel info hint overlay.
	hintPadding = 6
}
CameraStabilization
{
	// Allowed values: None, KeepPosition, KeepDistanceAndRotation
	mode = KeepPosition
	// Seconds.
	animationDuration = 0.3
	// Meters.
	maxVesselDistance = 100
	switchModeKey { keyCode = LeftWindows }
}

20 minutes ago, Kaa253 said:

Binding LeftWindows instead of F7 for camera stabilization does not work. I left Menu as vessel switch and that function continued to work correctly.
In case of confusion, the settings config is in the spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

UI
{
	// Key to switch into vessel select mode.
	vesselSwitchKey { keyCode = Menu }
	// Key to switch into part focus mode.
	partFocusSwitchKey { keyCode = O }
	// Allowed values: Left, Right, Middle, Btn4, Btn5.
	switchMouseButton = Left
	// RGBA format. Set it to 0,0,0,0 to completely disable the highlighting.
	// Seconds.
	newVesselHighlightTimeout = 0.5
}
InfoOverlay
{
	// Vessel info hint overlay font size.
	fontSize = 10
	// RGBA format.
	backgroundColor = 0,0,0,0.5
	// RGBA format.
	textColor = 1,1,1,1
	// Pixels between the border and the text in the vessel info hint overlay.
	hintPadding = 6
}
CameraStabilization
{
	// Allowed values: None, KeepPosition, KeepDistanceAndRotation
	mode = KeepPosition
	// Seconds.
	animationDuration = 0.3
	// Meters.
	maxVesselDistance = 100
	switchModeKey { keyCode = LeftWindows }
}

Well, it looks the problem in the key itself. I cannot tell you what is so special about it in scope of Unity. But, maybe, there is something special about it in scope of your X server?

Thanks @IgorZ While I don't know why something changed at the latest version update the Menu key will be just fine to use. It is wonderful that you have given this excellent mod the ability to switch keys around to accommodate different desktops and possible clashes with other mods use of the keys. I incorrectly assumed that if the key I had used before has stopped working then all key switching function must be broken. Clearly this was not actually the case, so my message to anyone else having issues is to persevere and keep trying different key options. Likely you will find some keys combination which will work just fine.

15 minutes ago, Kaa253 said:

Thanks @IgorZ While I don't know why something changed at the latest version update the Menu key will be just fine to use. It is wonderful that you have given this excellent mod the ability to switch keys around to accommodate different desktops and possible clashes with other mods use of the keys. I incorrectly assumed that if the key I had used before has stopped working then all key switching function must be broken. Clearly this was not actually the case, so my message to anyone else having issues is to persevere and keep trying different key options. Likely you will find some keys combination which will work just fine.

You're very welcome :)  Please, keep us posted on your findings. Any experience is welcome.

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, invultri said:

Hello @IgorZ

I love the mod, but I wonder if you support the modifier key "None". I'd like to disable the modifier key and use mouse button 5 to switch to the vessel.

No, this is not supported. The mod is built so that a keyboard event is required to switch the mod's mode (pointing vs acting).

11 hours ago, IgorZ said:

No, this is not supported. The mod is built so that a keyboard event is required to switch the mod's mode (pointing vs acting).

Ok, I have gotten used to the Meny key by now. I must say, this mod is angelic if you "rearrange" your rover with KIS.,

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.