[1.11.+] ESLD Jump Beacons Revived (1.4.0)

Booots

On 1/24/2021 at 1:21 PM, MatkesHulk said:

hi there, I am currently using linx's beta of this mod as I cant seem to find a more up to date version...not sure if you have got around to it yet. it is the version 1.3.0.1 btw and everything seems to work fine in terms of parts and resources and things but the little button does not show in the UI. I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction towards fixing this as if there is no UI button then I cannot use the jump beacons. Thanks.

ok, so,, not sure what I did but it works now after I installed extraplanetary launch pads 
I think that I’d added a toolbar configuring thing that I missed when initially trying this mod....

all I can say now is that it works fine! Awesome mod! (KSP 1.11)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Introducing the new line of ESLD Lens Beacons! (And version 1.3.0 of this mod! Download links in the OP)

Lens Beacons shorten the effective distance by focusing the superluminal pathways. Line up your sending and receiving beacons with a lens beacon and get up to 96% off the effective distance of your jump, cutting Karborundum costs drastically!

Link to Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/6OtQBwW

How to use:

You'll notice a large number of fuel cells on the examples. There's a reason for that - these things run off Electric Charge so make sure you have plenty. There's also a maximum gravitational field limit for these, similar to the regular beacons.

Each lens type has a specific directivity and gain pattern. You might even come across side lobes.  See the description in the Editor window or below.

Use cases:

• If you're really short on Karborundum.
  • If you're playing with multiple solar systems.
  • If you want to optimize your beacon network and do fun orbital arrangements.

There's two ways of setting these up:

• Have the lens and a beacon in a synchronized orbit with one leading the other. This will let your lens' beam sweep across the sky throughout the orbit and you can time your jump for max effect. The jump confirmation window has a readout to help show the lens gain.
  • Have the lens orbiting much lower than the sending beacon (or even orbiting the beacon's body's parent) and then time the jump for the right point in the beacon's orbit.

LS-12 "Hoop"

nYaoVNw.png

This is of the 'Opposing' type, which means it goes between the sending and receiving beacons.

LS-25 "Lighthouse"

wub7kj3.png

This is a 'Bidirectional' lens, which means it can go either between the sending and receiving beacons or behind the sending beacon. (Its performance is slightly better with the sending beacon between it and the receiving beacon.)

LS-350

8T3eh1p.png

This is of the 'Conjunction' type, which means that the sending beacon must be between the lens and the receiving beacon.

On 6/10/2016 at 10:51 PM, Booots said:

Also! On the subject of inter-system jumps, I looked at a few of the Kopernicus config files for different galactic system mods and it seems that the SMA of most stars that people are adding are on the order of 10^14m. Believe it or not, the LB100 can do this for less than a large Karborundum tankful (base cost; not including HCU or AMU cost) for a 200 ton vessel. Really, if you're paying more than 400 for an in-system jump, you're using the wrong kind of beacon. To help with that, I've compiled some useful graphs to show the mass/distance window each beacon is best suited for.

To put some context on the distances, Eeloo's SMA is 10^10.95m, Kerbin's is 10^10.13m, Minmus is 10^7.67m. For you RSS people, Pluto is 10^12.77m, Earth is 10^11.17m, and the Moon is 10^5.48m. The stars in Galactic Neighborhood are all 10^14-ish m. Going from one star to another, then, should be no more than 10^14.3m because logarithms.

Do these graphs still exist? The imgur link unfortunately leads nowhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, I was trying to get the mod working however upon trying to open the UI menu for warping I was met with it not working. I went to the console and got this.

Exception: MissingFieldException: Field 'GameEvents.onVesselUnloaded' not found.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Pilotgeoduck said:

Hey there, I was trying to get the mod working however upon trying to open the UI menu for warping I was met with it not working. I went to the console and got this.

Exception: MissingFieldException: Field 'GameEvents.onVesselUnloaded' not found.

Any help would be appreciated.

Interesting! Unfortunately, I’m not able to do much without more information. Can you post a link to your log file?

On 4/5/2021 at 5:21 AM, woeller said:

Do these graphs still exist? The imgur link unfortunately leads nowhere.

Maybe? I'll see if I have the original pictures saved. Worst case scenario I brush off Matlab and try to generate them again.

On 3/31/2021 at 4:27 PM, Friznit said:

Same dimensions!  The jump beacons come in a neat package that can be launched as a reasonable payload package.  Terrific that this mod is getting some new love - it's been a staple of my late game for years.

Sorry mate, I appreciate the feedback but I found that the original sizes are a little... unbalanced? The small tank has 3x the density of Karborundum than the others and they're all over the place in metrics like tank volume/part volume, cost/tank volume, and mass/surface area. I've gone ahead and made tanks that are more compatible with the stock sizes and that have more consistent metrics. On the plus side, the tank volumes have all increased for a given diameter tank and I've made them cost a little less than before. Call it an incentive to switch. :P If discounts and increased volumes aren't enough, maybe some sweet eye candy will win you over.

bbIlVBL.png

pzKpU9b.png

https://imgur.com/a/oV7IpP3

I've kept the original signage on all of the tanks and the background white/slight beige tank color is the same as the legacy ones to have a bit of throwback. The toroidal shape makes Karborundum feel more like a dangerous resource and I've gone with blue foil so that they stand out a little from other resources. I've also tried to make it feel like the level of refinement has increased with the larger diameter tanks.  What do ya'll think?

Edited by Booots

On 4/28/2021 at 9:37 PM, Booots said:

I'll see if I have the original pictures saved. Worst case scenario I brush off Matlab and try to generate them again.

I don't seem to have the original pictures, but I do have the Matlab script saved, thankfully. I've also contacted Imgur Support to see if they can say what went wrong on the old album.

Images are recovered, and the original post has been fixed.

Edited by Booots

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.