[1.11.+] ESLD Jump Beacons Revived (1.4.0)

Booots

5 hours ago, TMarkos said:

The Heisenkerb Compensator may be of particular interest.

:DI wish I could Like this comment multiple times. I wonder, has anyone unknowingly walked into the um, 'effect' of not including one? Any fun stories out there?

On 3/31/2018 at 6:45 PM, Norcalplanner said:

Thanks for the reply.  The thought was that with a retrograde orbit, it would reduce the total amount of Karborundum needed because of the lower delta in velocity between the sending beacon and the receiving beacon when the two planets are closest in their respective orbits.  Can't really explain this too well without drawing something...

My thoughts will likely change once I get some experience under my belt.  KSP has been crashing more than usual lately.

You are right that minimizing relative velocity could save you a tiny bit of Karborundum. But retrograde orbits are not necessary - just wait until you've gone 180 degrees around the planet and your velocity vector is now going the other way. And really, the big factor is relative planet velocities. Most of the Karborundum cost comes from simply using the alignment matrix and not the velocities, though.

Edited by Booots

On 04/04/2018 at 9:21 PM, Norcalplanner said:

I've read everything in the wiki, and there seems to be some mention about it being more expensive to send Karborundum through. Anything in particular I should be paying attention to?

Well I'm glad that was resolved :D 

Edited by eddiew

• 2 weeks later...

Beacons are starting to be deployed, and the Gael - Thalia route is open.  Gael - Gratian should be open soon.  Here's one of the medium ones fueling up with Karborundum before heading out.

74YBNzK.png

Learned the hard way that the medium stations are only good for up to 60 tons or so.  Karborundum costs go up rapidly over that mass.

Also sent a Longbow to Grannus on a high speed transfer with plenty of Karborundum.  Should be there in about 15 years.

uw3NlWA.png

Edit: And now the Gael - Gratian route is open.  Time to spend more time working on atmospheric craft and surface bases... :-)

pMt6Zs2.png

Edited by Norcalplanner
Added one more picture

can you weld these without causing problems? 

getting to where i need to start designing and building all mine. 

so all the techboxes attach to the ship and not the beacon right? 

and guessing setup an lb10 and lb100 right outside the soi? so you could put those with your fake L4, L5 relays?

10 has to travel to another 10 right? they work in pairs? so hailer all your compensators and some karborundrum to refuel the beacon if you need to. headed in the right direction? 

i've read everything just kinda hard to picture some of it. 

I have a problem with the small and medium beacons. When i start them up they spend all EC, which is not so strange. but I can't start them up anymore as the cost rises to ridiculous amounts of EC. I even sent around 100 000 EC to it but it still doesn't want to start.So I figured there is a cooldown period between starts as the cost started to slowly decrease, but in all other beacons the cost actually rises.Please help.

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, Tantor said:

I have a problem with the small and medium beacons. When i start them up they spend all EC, which is not so strange. but I can't start them up anymore as the cost rises to ridiculous amounts of EC. I even sent around 100 000 EC to it but it still doesn't want to start.So I figured there is a cooldown period between starts as the cost started to slowly decrease, but in all other beacons the cost actually rises.Please help.

Can you provide orbit information for these beacons?
Also, how much Karborundum do you have on board the beacon craft?
Lastly - do you have a GMU on the craft with the beacon?

You many want to double check the wiki regarding those points as it can be very helpful (https://github.com/TMarkos/ESLDBeacons/wiki/Electric-Charge,-Beacons-and-You)

Edited by wile1411

@Norcalplanner, I'm loving the updates on how you're using this mod. It's super rewarding to see people using the things I've worked on. 

On 4/16/2018 at 11:52 AM, COL.R.Neville said:

1) can you weld these without causing problems? 

2) so all the techboxes attach to the ship and not the beacon right? 

3) and guessing setup an lb10 and lb100 right outside the soi? so you could put those with your fake L4, L5 relays?

4) 10 has to travel to another 10 right? they work in pairs? so hailer all your compensators and some karborundrum to refuel the beacon if you need to. headed in the right direction? 

1) Maybe? It depends on how the welding mod works. I think I remember reading that welding two parts with the same module breaks. If that is the case, you'd just have to make sure you don't weld more than one beacon or more than one techbox into a part.

2) The techboxes go on the beacon vessel, not the travelling vessel.

3) That's a personal choice. I generally have a small beacon in a low orbit and a big beacon in a much further orbit but I don't put them outside the SOI unless I have to for G-limit reasons (Laythe comes to mind that I had to have a pseudo-L4 relay).

4) Nope! Any beacon can transfer to any other beacon, regardless of type. 

I hope this helps clear some things up.

On 4/16/2018 at 9:54 PM, Kenobi McCormick said:

Am I missing something here? Title says mod supports 1.4.x, I'm on 1.4.2, but the only download links in the OP are for game version 1.2.

My bad, I didn't realize I had set the links to specific versions rather than just the release page. Fixed now. (At least for GitHub, my work's filter won't let me change the SpaceDock one)

On 4/18/2018 at 6:11 PM, Tantor said:

As @wile1411 said, we'll probably need a bit more info. They shouldn't need 100K EC, so something may be wrong. Can you confirm you have the most recent version? I ask because the old version had some bugs with EC consumption but I thought I had fixed those. There is no cooldown period between starts. But depending on your equipment and orbit they could consume a lot to start and/or to keep running. 
Edited by Booots

On 4/20/2018 at 3:26 PM, Booots said:

My bad, I didn't realize I had set the links to specific versions rather than just the release page. Fixed now. (At least for GitHub, my work's filter won't let me change the SpaceDock one

S'all good, homey! Honestly thought I'd just not seen the right link or something, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who helped. There is a huge probability that large quantities of karborundum is causing it as I wanted to test them so i sent 10k units to see how the beacons work. Do the beacons count in the accesible karborundum or all karborundum on the vessel ( I mean like if you connect an engine and a fuel tank with a decoupler or such, an engine doesn't use the fuel from the tank) 

23 hours ago, Tantor said:

Thanks to everyone who helped. There is a huge probability that large quantities of karborundum is causing it as I wanted to test them so i sent 10k units to see how the beacons work. Do the beacons count in the accesible karborundum or all karborundum on the vessel ( I mean like if you connect an engine and a fuel tank with a decoupler or such, an engine doesn't use the fuel from the tank) 

I'm pretty sure it checks the whole vessel. Thinking "in universe", I'll guess and say the reasons would be due to the mass of all the Karborundum creating a huge drag on space/time that adds such a huge EC requirement. I don't think it matters whether or not you have the fuel lines connected (ie docking port with no passthrough) to the "engine" when only doing the powering up stage of a beacon.

I am getting an error when i click on a destination beacon in the interface. KSP version 1.4.2 

error in F12 debug window

"you called GUI.Window inside another window's function. Ensure to call it in a OnGUI code path"

9 hours ago, kingacer3 said:

I am getting an error when i click on a destination beacon in the interface. KSP version 1.4.2 

error in F12 debug window

"you called GUI.Window inside another window's function. Ensure to call it in a OnGUI code path"

Yep, I've seen that one in the last couple versions too. It's probably a relatively easy fix, but the error message doesn't seem to impact gameplay at all. Thanks for pointing it out.

21 hours ago, Booots said:

Yep, I've seen that one in the last couple versions too. It's probably a relatively easy fix, but the error message doesn't seem to impact gameplay at all. Thanks for pointing it out.

Unfortunately I cant use the beacon either. Nothing happens when I click the button. Ship is well within range of the beacon, button is green, etc. 

For what it's worth, the version from last December seems to work fine with 1.4.x. I may have hacked the crap out of that particular version :) 

qxc7p6E.png

...which is not to belittle @Booots's work, but changes could be game breaking for me at this point so I'm glad to tick this one off as not needing any more fiddling to update :) 

Nice...errr. jump ring you have there  @eddiew :)

I'd also like to just quickly praise @Booots for the effort made in making the jump effect interesting. I love it each and every time I see it during the jump process. It's both subtle in it's effect as well as obvious that something happened. I don't want to learn the secret of the process as I enjoy the feeling of seeing time being unstretched when the jump completes.

14 hours ago, wile1411 said:

I'd also like to just quickly praise @Booots for the effort made in making the jump effect interesting. I love it each and every time I see it during the jump process. It's both subtle in it's effect as well as obvious that something happened. I don't want to learn the secret of the process as I enjoy the feeling of seeing time being unstretched when the jump completes.

I love the jump effect too, and I wish I could take credit for it but that's all @TMarkos's work. 

On 5/7/2018 at 4:13 PM, kingacer3 said:

Unfortunately I cant use the beacon either. Nothing happens when I click the button. Ship is well within range of the beacon, button is green, etc. 

I'll do some more testing this weekend, but I was pretty sure all was working on the latest version. Any specific situations I should look at?

• 2 weeks later...

So, correct me if I'm wrong (which is likely, as I've not had any coffee in the last two hours):

The drives are powered by Karborundum, but I can see that the CFG file for the Extractors makes mention of Karbonite. I'm guessing that I need to find specific Karborundum deposits, as opposed to mining the Karbonite and converting directly?

Either way, it's given my storyline (such as it is) a helluva boost.

So, correct me if I'm wrong (which is likely, as I've not had any coffee in the last two hours):

The drives are powered by Karborundum, but I can see that the CFG file for the Extractors makes mention of Karbonite. I'm guessing that I need to find specific Karborundum deposits, as opposed to mining the Karbonite and converting directly?

Either way, it's given my storyline (such as it is) a helluva boost.

You're mostly correct.

The beacons are powered by EC. It's specifically the jump action that requires Karborundum to function. The Karbonite resource is not relevant to the mod (unless you change the cfg files), but is included in by way of the required CommunityResourcePack mod (included with the ESLD mod) 

Karborundum is found off-Kerbin. (ESLDBeacons Wiki mentions two places specifically - wont spoil it here in case you'd rather 'explore/search' for them in your game.)
There is also the extras folder that comes with the ESLD install. This gives you some additional options on where you'd like to find Karborundum so you can tailor your game to have you want to play.

Having Karbonite on your extractor is not added by this mod (at least - not that I can find looking at the github code).
Karbonite adds to the following drills "DRT-21 Ventral Drill Assembly" / "DRT-40 Radial Karbonite Drill" / "KA-625 Mini-Drill" from the Karbonite+ mod which you should also see having Karborundum on the extractor.

If you DON'T have the USI Karbonite+ mod installed, you should only have a Karborundum extract option added to your drills from this MM patch included with ESLD
If you DO have Karbonite+, you will have other resources added (Karbonite included), but there will also be an additional place where you can harvest Karborundum via a solar collector.
Specifically 'where' is up to you to find out - just know it's NOT within 2000m of the sun as described by the very old Karbonite forum thread. That location has since been moved due to Kerbol getting a massive increase in heating effects when you are close in past KSP version update.

Edited by wile1411

51 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

You mostly correct.

The beacons are powered by EC. It's specifically the jump action that requires Karborundum to function. The Karbonite resource is not relevant to the mod (unless you change the cfg files), but is included in by way of the required CommunityResourcePack mod (included with the ESLD mod) 

Karborundum is found off-Kerbin. (ESLDBeacons Wiki mentions two places specifically - wont spoil it here in case you'd rather 'explore/search' for them in your game.)
There is also the extras folder that comes with the ESLD install. This gives you some additional options on where you'd like to find Karborundum so you can tailor your game to have you want to play.

Having Karbonite on your extractor is not added by this mod (at least - not that I can find looking at the github code).
Karbonite adds to the following drills "DRT-21 Ventral Drill Assembly" / "DRT-40 Radial Karbonite Drill" / "KA-625 Mini-Drill" from the Karbonite+ mod which you should also see having Karborundum on the extractor.

If you DON'T have the USI Karbonite+ mod installed, you should only have a Karborundum extract option added to your drills from this MM patch included with ESLD
If you DO have Karbonite+, you will have other resources added (Karbonite included), but there will also be an additional place where you can harvest Karborundum via a solar collector.
Specifically 'where' is up to you to find out - just know it's NOT within 2000m of the sun as described by the very old Karbonite forum thread. That location has since been moved due to Kerbol getting a massive increase in heating effects when you are close in past KSP version update.

Huzzah! 'Mostly Correct!'. Story of my life.

Many thanks.

13 hours ago, Messernacht said:

Huzzah! 'Mostly Correct!'. Story of my life.

Many thanks.

The cost and difficulty in obtaining meaningful amounts of Karborundum is one of the main balance mechanisms of this mod so it isn't too OP.  I play in GPP, and all the locations where Karborundum is found are either very difficult to get to, or are actively trying to destroy your vessel.  

7 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

The cost and difficulty in obtaining meaningful amounts of Karborundum is one of the main balance mechanisms of this mod so it isn't too OP.  I play in GPP, and all the locations where Karborundum is found are either very difficult to get to, or are actively trying to destroy your vessel.  

Yeah, that's what I'm looking forward to. I've found some; now it's just a matter of figuring out how to get it up the well.

If I remember correctly this mod once gave a warning popup if you tried to jump with some cargo such as kerbals or karborundum that required the Heisenkerb compensator? 

It now seems to throw an exception at that moment saying something about .OrbitDriver.Renderer not found?

Spoiler

MissingFieldException: Field '.OrbitDriver.Renderer' not found.
  at ESLDCore.ESLDHailer.BeaconInterface (Int32 GuiId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Sorry, I know it is a very poor bug report :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.